1 (edited by merc 2022-09-05 20:24:48)

Topic: Ready Player One (2018)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1677720/
https://film-authority.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/ready-player-one-every-easter-egg-and-reference-we-could-fin_q1wr.jpg

When the creator of a virtual reality called the OASIS dies, he makes a posthumous challenge to all OASIS users to find his Easter Egg, which will give the finder his fortune and control of his world

Steven Spielberg wisely junked most of the details from Zak Penn’s novel about a futuristic video-game and came up with a rather more eye-boggling set of conceits.

This wonderful mainly cgi film was on tv a few days ago. I suppose it illustrates the world of Second Life, I dont know if there is a real connection, but anyone who has been there can not but see the parallels rather than the quick allusion to The world of Minecraft

Re: Ready Player One (2018)

I quite enjoyed this film, seen it a couple of times.

There are lots of lots of easter eggs from other shows and films throughout it.

DRM "manages access" in the same way that Prison "manages freedom".
http://xkcd.com/488/

Wizard wrote:

Have you read the book/listened the audiobook?

...where did I put that rat's ass I could give?

Daemons are benevolent or benign nature spirits, beings of the same nature as both mortals and gods, similar to ghosts, chthonic heroes, spirit guides, forces of nature or the gods themselves.

I didn't know there was a book - I'll have a look for it, thanks.

DRM "manages access" in the same way that Prison "manages freedom".
http://xkcd.com/488/

5 (edited by merc 2022-09-06 19:21:47)

Daemonius wrote:
Wizard wrote:

meaning? As the blurb says Spielberg ignored many of the details of the book.

The final battle could almost have been taken from Avengers Endgame except here it made sense but in the Endgame all those people charging one another never did.

The book's entertaining, despite being absolutely ridiculous (and I don't even mean the tech aspects, just the absurd amounts of stuff the young characters have not only supposedly consumed, but also practically memorized). I skipped the movie just based on the trailer.

7 (edited by merc 2022-09-07 10:11:46)

mrverene wrote:

The book's entertaining, despite being absolutely ridiculous (and I don't even mean the tech aspects, just the absurd amounts of stuff the young characters have not only supposedly consumed, but also practically memorized). I skipped the movie just based on the trailer.

You could say the same about all the Marvel films? well you have missed a lovely cgi-fest. It remnided me of the first time I had a look into Second Life, the original virtual reality world.

merc wrote:
Daemonius wrote:
Wizard wrote:

The final battle could almost have been taken from Avengers Endgame except here it made sense but in the Endgame all those people charging one another never did.

The book is so much better than the movie, but seeing the movie you have a better visual understanding of the events and the people.

...where did I put that rat's ass I could give?

Daemons are benevolent or benign nature spirits, beings of the same nature as both mortals and gods, similar to ghosts, chthonic heroes, spirit guides, forces of nature or the gods themselves.

9 (edited by merc 2022-09-08 08:02:40)

Daemonius wrote:
merc wrote:
Daemonius wrote:
Wizard wrote:

The book is so much better than the movie, but seeing the movie you have a better visual understanding of the events and the people.

well one thing that made it was the personalities of the avatars, so real and expressive( even more so than the REAL  people), nothing wooden about them at all. Thats what made it for me

10 (edited by TheFizza 2022-09-14 04:34:20)

The book was mediocre and the movie was just strait-up trash, Spielberg should have retire after The Post... y'all remember that one? No?! Well it won some awards so at least it would have been a high note and we would've been saved the tone-deaf remake of something no one asked for (especially after In the Heights) as well as this tragedy of a once innovative and interesting director becoming a CGI-Advertising shill.

https://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=fe18e3ede310c4d0ddb3af64211e19ec

TheFizza wrote:

The book was mediocre and the movie was just strait-up trash, Spielberg should have retire after The Post... y'all remember that one? No?! Well it won some awards so at least it would have been a high note and we would've been saved the tone-deaf remake of something no one asked for (especially after In the Heights) as well as this tragedy of a once innovative and interesting director becoming a CGI-Advertising shill.

ouch lol.

12 (edited by HomerS 2022-09-14 15:55:38)

Haven't read the book and enjoyed the movie, it wasn't an instant classic like some of Spielberg's other movies were but not bad at all.

https://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=Watchlist&kk=276008292d78a1f619f8bbc10840767b

13 (edited by TheFizza 2022-09-15 22:42:08)

merc wrote:
TheFizza wrote:

ouch lol.

I know it's harsh to say that I hated everything about this 'poor man's Pollock put to film' but I have seen too many movies to pretend that this mess of a film was anything other than a waist of time [and money].

What saddens me more is the loss of Spielberg as a voice in innovative cinema, I can't say I ever thought of him as a GREAT director but his work was rather reliable... even though out of the 35 or so movies he directed only really 16 were hits (which is less than 50%). While his popular success or not means little to me, if I enjoyed his films or not it is a factor as to his ability to continue to make films. Many a director come-and-go only those who have popular success can still be making movies after almost five decades.

However I think the reason this film is such a mess is that Spielberg has lost the point of view which understood that films, like Jurassic Park and Jaws, didn't required many special effect scenes to tell a compelling tale. One could argue he never did understand that as both of those occasions he was limited by technology which meant he had to be smarter, proving the adage, 'art thrives through limitations.' But lets give the man the benefited of doubt that, at least at one time, he understood that special effects are there to accentuate the story not to be the story [even in this story, which does lean heavily on techno-macguffiny-doodads and whatnot].

It really seems as though Spielberg has become less-and-less aware of where best apply his talents. I mentioned The Post earlier, which was an excellent movie but Spielberg's directing didn't appear to be the largest factor in the success of that film. In fact if a viewer didn't know it was a Spielberg picture I dare say they might just as well expect to have seen Ron Howard or Chris Columbus' name in the credits.

For just as with this movie, Spielberg went too far in one direction with The Post he stepped so far back from making it a 'Spielberg film' it just became a film. Which isn't a necessarily a bad thing, often it with a story like that one it can be integral not to overshadow the events by how it is presented. Alan Pakula understood that when he was directing the other side of this story, in All the President’s Men.

That being as it is, it also kind of illustrates my point because I'm sure many might be wondering, Who even is Alan Pakula anyway? And aside from a good workman like director the answer is simply the director of All the President’s Men [and sure, Sophie’s Choice] but that's about all you need to know about his work.

So when Spielberg decided to bookend Pakula's movie, sure that sound like an interesting concept but in reality it was not a great stretch for him. It's something one might expect the director of Schindler’s List and Empire of the Sun could do with one hand tied behind his back. Indeed, something he might just have farmed out or let one of the cast (ghost)direct. Yet he applies his talent to a straightforward story like this. A good and well told story to be sure, no shade on the out come of the film. Just an honest question as to whether it was the best application of his talent? Perhaps he just wanted an Oscar that year and decided he would get one. I cannot say, all I can say is what I have already postulated: that Spielberg might have done better retiring oh a high note because goodness do I have a take on West Side Story...

To say a remake of West Side Story was unnecessary would be madness because few movies are necessary... still while completely competent in some ways, it almost seemed as though it was more a 'white director's clapback' after watching In the Heights than an earnest attempted at bringing something to the screen in an innovative and imaginative way... you know kind of why we all still go to see Spielberg movies [despite whether we know it or not].

https://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=fe18e3ede310c4d0ddb3af64211e19ec

TheFizza wrote:
merc wrote:
TheFizza wrote:

ouch lol.

I know it's harsh to say that I hated everything about this 'poor man's Pollock put to film' but I have seen too many movies to pretend that this mess of a film was anything other than a waist of time [and money]...........

even  more ouch!
People look for different things from films and books?
As I have already said  the thing I found brilliant and memorable was the characterisation of the cgi avatars which out did the humans. brilliant

15 (edited by TheFizza 2022-09-15 23:23:31)

merc wrote:
TheFizza wrote:
merc wrote:
TheFizza wrote:

ouch lol.

I know it's harsh to say that I hated everything about this 'poor man's Pollock put to film' but I have seen too many movies to pretend that this mess of a film was anything other than a waist of time [and money]...........

even  more ouch!
People look for different things from films and books?
As I have already said  the thing I found brilliant and memorable was the characterisation of the cgi avatars which out did the humans. brilliant

Yes, I think they do. In fact I do believe that a story adapted to any other medium novels, radio play, films and stage performances must all be adjusted to the suite the best ways to satisfy those audiences. I just was completely unsatisfied by just about every aspect of what was presented on screen in what I term a fiasco of a film.

Of course, that opinion does not preclude others from having a different experience. Art is subjective. We can all have different opinions on the same things... I, for one, love the film Jupiter Ascending and I know many do not. It doesn't make me right and them wrong or vice-versa, it just is.

To that end, I recall you mentioning how you enjoyed the work of the CGI animators, how the avatars seemed 'real and expressive'... Which is a technical triumph, to be sure. And if you feel like sharing more on, what about the cgi avatars characterization you found to be "brilliant," I (and I'm sure others) would like to hear [read] it

to TheFizza: review the film and ignore the cgi see the interplay between the avatars. eg the scene were Parzival enters the library after the first win and is surrounded by the others and is dragged into a secret cuboard by Artemis who does the Alien thing then un zips her self and does the teeth chatter thing. Another is at the first race and Parzival goes to the back to cleanup any coins and Aech's response. There are so many that escapes that fact  these are just animations ( I assume)

merc wrote:

to TheFizza: review the film and ignore the cgi see the interplay between the avatars. eg the scene were Parzival enters the library after the first win and is surrounded by the others and is dragged into a secret cuboard by Artemis who does the Alien thing then un zips her self and does the teeth chatter thing. Another is at the first race and Parzival goes to the back to cleanup any coins and Aech's response.

Did you just watch it again to be able to write it down with this amount of detail?

I remember Ready Player One only as "that movie that was fun to watch", with hardly any details. big_smile

18 (edited by merc 2022-09-16 13:44:15)

lighton wrote:
merc wrote:

to TheFizza: review the film and ignore the cgi see the interplay between the avatars. eg the scene were Parzival enters the library after the first win and is surrounded by the others and is dragged into a secret cuboard by Artemis who does the Alien thing then un zips her self and does the teeth chatter thing. Another is at the first race and Parzival goes to the back to cleanup any coins and Aech's response.

Did you just watch it again to be able to write it down with this amount of detail?

I remember Ready Player One only as "that movie that was fun to watch", with hardly any details. big_smile

I have watched it more than once. but those details/aspects were appreciated at the start, depends what you value and therefore notice and want to see again. it is called savouring? Not all films are see once/throw away. many have moments that are memorable, treasures. You dont have to watch films from start to finish all the time, every time.  Another I remember the cybercrush scene with Aech when he tells P.  Atemis could be a 20 stone dude, named Chuck from Detroit. And the follow up scene in the dance dome where Artemis playfully taps P's shoulders left and right one after the other and he turns left and right wondering who did it, and the rest of that dance scene.  If you dont see any of this sophisticated convincing interaction you are missing a lot.

merc wrote:
lighton wrote:

I have watched it more than once. but those details/aspects were appreciated at the start, depends what you value and therefore notice and want to see again. it is called savouring? Not all films are see once/throw away. many have moments that are memorable, treasures. You dont have to watch films from start to finish all the time, every time.  Another I remember the cybercrush scene with Aech when he tells P.  Atemis could be a 20 stone dude, named Chuck from Detroit. And the follow up scene in the dance dome where Artemis playfully taps P's shoulders left and right one after the other and he turns left and right wondering who did it, and the rest of that dance scene.  If you dont see any of this you are missing a lot.

Interesting...

I'm sure I saw all those scenes, I just didn't enjoy them as much as you did. smile What's your x/10 rating for the movie?

20 (edited by merc 2022-09-16 13:59:43)

lighton wrote:
merc wrote:
lighton wrote:

I have watched it more than once. but those details/aspects were appreciated at the start, depends what you value and therefore notice and want to see again. it is called savouring? Not all films are see once/throw away. many have moments that are memorable, treasures. You dont have to watch films from start to finish all the time, every time.  Another I remember the cybercrush scene with Aech when he tells P.  Atemis could be a 20 stone dude, named Chuck from Detroit. And the follow up scene in the dance dome where Artemis playfully taps P's shoulders left and right one after the other and he turns left and right wondering who did it, and the rest of that dance scene.  If you dont see any of this you are missing a lot.

Interesting...

I'm sure I saw all those scenes, I just didn't enjoy them as much as you did. smile What's your x/10 rating for the movie?

dont know about numbers ( but a high value for the reasons given, 8?) but a film to keep or get the blu ray of. Another moment in the dance dome when Artemis asks P whether he has come prepared ( you know what that means...)  here though it is the extra sensors in his fancy suit....

21 (edited by TheFizza 2022-09-19 02:48:05)

lighton wrote:
merc wrote:

Interesting...

I'm sure I saw all those scenes, I just didn't enjoy them as much as you did. smile

I think lighton said it well here.

And I apricate you taking the time to provide more details as to what you enjoyed about Ready Player One, merc. cool

lots of films /tv series have worthy parts worth revisiting