1 (edited by paisley1 2022-01-10 23:08:09)

Topic: Cyberpunk 2077

https://i.imgur.com/QxIl8P9.jpeg

Winner of the Steam Awards Outstanding Story Rich Game

I finished Cyberpunk a month ago as I only buy AAA games on sale and never at launch because they're always buggy, so I waited a year, and I'm glad I did.

TLDR:  Fun for a while, a good shooter, but kinda empty. 

The graphics are amazing, and the world is very bright, scenic, and glossy, but definitely more "cyber" than "punk".  To be considered Punk to me the game needed to be foggier, grittier, and different in a way that I just can't put my finger on, as it was just too clean, bright and hilarious, but there were plenty of malcontents in the game that I guess make it punk.  The story was quite front heavy and I found the start of the game more enjoyable than the end, as the end almost felt unfinished and left me with the feeling of, I'll probably never go back and play this again.  Knowing it's a race against time, and that, spoiler, V is dying and ultimately there's no cure it kinda left me with a feeling of hopelessness throughout, similar to Arthur's tuberculosis in RDR2, which was kinda depressing right from the start and that feeling, storywise, never got better and was never overcome.

The BD's or braindances I didn't enjoy, they punctuated the game like having to do video editing.  Interesting idea, but, more annoying, than fun.  The BD's reminded me of the disc defrag in Fallout 4, Far Harbor; off beat and annoying.  You also can't finish the entire technology tree in one go, it's maxed at 50, so that would've been nice to know in advance, to plan my approach accordingly.

The quest called "These boots are made for walking" is still stuck, and there were all kinds of weird graphic bugs and cars spawning randomly that were very annoying throughout my gameplay.

It took me a while to figure out the J key on my keyboard has all the best quests in the game, as I was just using the map to clear out areas for quite some time and take on gangs.  The side quests with River, Nancy, and Kerry were my favorite part of the game, along with Keanu's hilarious color commentary during them.  River Ward's story in particular was the best story within the game, so much so, that I wouldn't recommend the game if it wasn't in it.

Now that I'm at the end, the only sandboxy thing left to do is nerf the game and find Johnny's apartment, craft items and make money, and roam around in cool cars looking for random fights while mining loot.  Maybe there's some post game fun I just haven't unlocked, but the map has no blue or yellow left anywhere.  By far the largest and cleanest looking map of any RPG ever made, but the NPC's and environment are so lifeless, that the game just feels kinda empty.

I played 182 hours of Cyberpunk, enjoyed almost every minute of it and recommend it to everyone who likes a massive open world shooter, but I'm definitely done.

Let me know your thoughts.

7.5/10

2

Re: Cyberpunk 2077

Being a huge fan of The Witcher (played for maybe 150+ hours) , I bought Cyberpunk early on.

Couldn't get into it at all.  Played it in total for around 2 hours, and that was enough.  I might return to it one day, but only when I have nothing else to play (and I have a lot of things to play).

2020.  Meh.

3 (edited by paisley1 2022-01-09 23:56:37)

Re: Cyberpunk 2077

graybags wrote:

Being a huge fan of The Witcher (played for maybe 150+ hours) , I bought Cyberpunk early on.

Couldn't get into it at all.  Played it in total for around 2 hours, and that was enough.  I might return to it one day, but only when I have nothing else to play (and I have a lot of things to play).

I played 30 hours of The Witcher and hated it, and have no desire to go back.  Cyberpunk was a way better experience to me than the Witcher, by a mile.  When you're in the mood, perhaps just play it on easy, sort of story mode it, and make your own fun, as you have a great sense of humor and I think there's enough hilarity in Cyberpunk to warrant a retry.  2 hours sounds like you hate closed it for not living up to expectations, and I've done that as well, for Fallout 76 and Civilization VI, which are absolute trash I wouldn't recommend to anyone, but Cyberpunk is a lot of fun.

(I started the game and went straight north as far as I could, and found a legendary office suit that I used throughout the entire game, maybe that's what helped me cue into it early on, along with the joy of killing punks in all sorts of unique ways, lolz.)

4

Re: Cyberpunk 2077

Sometimes I play a game and I'm hooked from the start.  Other games I don't really get into, but there is something that stays at the back of my mind and makes me return to it.  That happened to me with The Witcher.  It started off slow but seemed to have a good story, so I persevered.  And now it's easily one of the best games I've ever played, and considering I had my first computer in 1982, that's alot of games.

I know about all the hype with Cyberpunk, but I'm old enough to see through all that.  It just didn't grab me and nothing is really telling me to go back to it.  I actually managed to get my hands on a 3080 two days ago so I did wonder if that would make me want to play it again... But... No.  Who knows, maybe one day I will load it up again.  At the moment I'm making my way through Death Stranding.  When that's done it's Ghost of Tsushima's turn.  After that, the next Aloy game will probably be out.

2020.  Meh.

5 (edited by paisley1 2022-01-10 21:51:10)

Re: Cyberpunk 2077

graybags wrote:

Sometimes I play a game and I'm hooked from the start.  Other games I don't really get into, but there is something that stays at the back of my mind and makes me return to it.  That happened to me with The Witcher.  It started off slow but seemed to have a good story, so I persevered.  And now it's easily one of the best games I've ever played, and considering I had my first computer in 1982, that's alot of games.

I know about all the hype with Cyberpunk, but I'm old enough to see through all that.  It just didn't grab me and nothing is really telling me to go back to it.  I actually managed to get my hands on a 3080 two days ago so I did wonder if that would make me want to play it again... But... No.  Who knows, maybe one day I will load it up again.  At the moment I'm making my way through Death Stranding.  When that's done it's Ghost of Tsushima's turn.  After that, the next Aloy game will probably be out.

Hype and hype hate are just as partial as each other.  7.5/10 seems balanced.  I'm on this site because I love TV, and when it comes to games, I know anyone could just read several hundred thousand reviews on steam, so I've tried to make my discussion here more about games with a good story, and Cyberpunk has an interesting story as it just won the Outstanding Story Rich Game on steam, specifically, the River Ward story alone, is worth the trek through Cyberpunk, and I wish the whole game centered around V becoming a private investigator even moreso than just being a mercenary, because it was one aspect of the game that really worked well with such a massive map to play around with.

If you want to see what the ray tracing and DLSS from your 3080 looks like, there's really no better game than Cyberpunk to mess with the settings.  Not even RDR2 is as well implemented.  Ghost of Tsushima is PS4/5 and I hear good things, but you won't be using your brand new 3080 for that.

My issue with the Witcher 3 is the graphics are terrible to my eye, and I didn't want to spend more time being annoyed looking at a flat and poorly textured world.  I get that people think it looks nice, it doesn't to me.  I'd recommend Kingdom Come: Deliverance as a far superior alternative any day, both the graphics and the story.

Speaking of a great/crazy story, I love Death Stranding.  Grindy as hell.  Death Stranding was my addiction last year this time.  I finished it with the online aspect shut off.  Go to the can beforehand, because some of the cut scenes come out of nowhere and are like 30 minutes long and there's no pause function and you might have to hold it. (from experience!) 

(Non-spoiler Hint:  Don't waste time on the side deliveries at the start, just do the main deliveries for Sam, and move on.  After that, in order to build a truck, you have to do a lot of deliveries for the junk dealer.  I wish someone had told me that.  You're welcome.)

When you finish Death Stranding, I'll start a thread and we can attempt to unpack the story, if possible, lolz.  If you're not singing this song, by the end, you haven't played long enough. lol  Best soundtrack of any game, ever.

6

Re: Cyberpunk 2077

paisley1 wrote:
graybags wrote:

Sometimes I play a game and I'm hooked from the start.  Other games I don't really get into, but there is something that stays at the back of my mind and makes me return to it.  That happened to me with The Witcher.  It started off slow but seemed to have a good story, so I persevered.  And now it's easily one of the best games I've ever played, and considering I had my first computer in 1982, that's alot of games.

I know about all the hype with Cyberpunk, but I'm old enough to see through all that.  It just didn't grab me and nothing is really telling me to go back to it.  I actually managed to get my hands on a 3080 two days ago so I did wonder if that would make me want to play it again... But... No.  Who knows, maybe one day I will load it up again.  At the moment I'm making my way through Death Stranding.  When that's done it's Ghost of Tsushima's turn.  After that, the next Aloy game will probably be out.

Hype and hype hate are just as partial as each other.  7.5/10 seems balanced.  I'm on this site because I love TV, and when it comes to games, I know anyone could just read several hundred thousand reviews on steam, so I've tried to make my discussion here more about games with a good story, and Cyberpunk has an interesting story as it just won the Outstanding Story Rich Game on steam, specifically, the River Ward story alone, is worth the trek through Cyberpunk, and I wish the whole game centered around V becoming a private investigator even moreso than just being a mercenary, because it was one aspect of the game that really worked well with such a massive map to play around with.

If you want to see what the ray tracing and DLSS from your 3080 looks like, there's really no better game than Cyberpunk to mess with the settings.  Not even RDR2 is as well implemented.  Ghost of Tsushima is PS4/5 and I hear good things, but you won't be using your brand new 3080 for that.

My issue with the Witcher 3 is the graphics are terrible to my eye, and I didn't want to spend more time being annoyed looking at a flat and poorly textured world.  I get that people think it looks nice, it doesn't to me.  I'd recommend Kingdom Come: Deliverance as a far superior alternative any day, both the graphics and the story.

Speaking of a great/crazy story, I love Death Stranding.  Grindy as hell.  Death Stranding was my addiction last year this time.  I finished it with the online aspect shut off.  Go to the can beforehand, because some of the cut scenes come out of nowhere and are like 30 minutes long and there's no pause function and you might have to hold it. (from experience!) 

(Non-spoiler Hint:  Don't waste time on the side deliveries at the start, just do the main deliveries for Sam, and move on.  After that, in order to build a truck, you have to do a lot of deliveries for the junk dealer.  I wish someone had told me that.  You're welcome.)

When you finish Death Stranding, I'll start a thread and we can attempt to unpack the story, if possible, lolz.  If you're not singing this song, by the end, you haven't played long enough. lol

If Cyberpunk will show what the 3080 can do, I might give it another go.   *might*!

I'm a fair way through Death Stranding.  I say fair way, I don't know how many episodes there are but I think I'm on episode 5.  I did do a fair few side missions until I realised they didn't take the story forward!  That's one thing I loved about the side missions in Witcher, 3 they all seemed worth doing.  So I did them all smile
I still think it looked great, infact I think you're the first person I've heard that says otherwise.  But each to their own.

Thanks for the tip re: the truck.  I've done alot of missions for the junk dealer, guess I'll need to do a few more smile

RDR2 I have aswell, but that's another game I've played for a few hours and just dropped.  Didn't get into it.

Ghost of Tsushima as you say is on my PS5.  I'll defo give it a go next.

2020.  Meh.

7 (edited by paisley1 2022-01-10 22:10:28)

Re: Cyberpunk 2077

graybags wrote:

If Cyberpunk will show what the 3080 can do, I might give it another go.   *might*!

I'm a fair way through Death Stranding.  I say fair way, I don't know how many episodes there are but I think I'm on episode 5.  I did do a fair few side missions until I realised they didn't take the story forward!  That's one thing I loved about the side missions in Witcher, 3 they all seemed worth doing.  So I did them all smile
I still think it looked great, infact I think you're the first person I've heard that says otherwise.  But each to their own.

Thanks for the tip re: the truck.  I've done alot of missions for the junk dealer, guess I'll need to do a few more smile

RDR2 I have aswell, but that's another game I've played for a few hours and just dropped.  Didn't get into it.

Ghost of Tsushima as you say is on my PS5.  I'll defo give it a go next.

Turning on resizeable BAR in your motherboard bios settings, will give your 3080 a performance uptick.  You might have to look into the motherboard manual to find where that option is located, but it's worth it for both Cyberpunk and Death Stranding.  Nvidia Control Panel > System Information > Resizeable BAR, and check if it's on or off.

Read my review of RDR2 and everyone hates ACT 1, it sucks, but half way through ACT 2, to the end, is amazing!

Setting up a zip line to the junk dealer is almost worth it, you have to do so many deliveries to him and from him, all over the place, to get a truck.  Think 6000 likes, and you're getting warm.

8

Re: Cyberpunk 2077

paisley1 wrote:
graybags wrote:

If Cyberpunk will show what the 3080 can do, I might give it another go.   *might*!

I'm a fair way through Death Stranding.  I say fair way, I don't know how many episodes there are but I think I'm on episode 5.  I did do a fair few side missions until I realised they didn't take the story forward!  That's one thing I loved about the side missions in Witcher, 3 they all seemed worth doing.  So I did them all smile
I still think it looked great, infact I think you're the first person I've heard that says otherwise.  But each to their own.

Thanks for the tip re: the truck.  I've done alot of missions for the junk dealer, guess I'll need to do a few more smile

RDR2 I have aswell, but that's another game I've played for a few hours and just dropped.  Didn't get into it.

Ghost of Tsushima as you say is on my PS5.  I'll defo give it a go next.

Turning on resizeable BAR in your motherboard bios settings, will give your 3080 a performance uptick.  You might have to look into the motherboard manual to find where that option is located, but it's worth it for both Cyberpunk and Death Stranding.  Nvidia Control Panel > System Information > Resizeable BAR, and check if it's on or off.

Read my review of RDR2 and everyone hates ACT 1, it sucks, but half way through ACT 2, to the end, is amazing!

Setting up a zip line to the junk dealer is almost worth it, you have to do so many deliveries to him and from him, all over the place, to get a truck.  Think 6000 likes, and you're getting warm.

What's so special about a truck?  I'm guessing it can hold more than the bikes and floating carriers?

2020.  Meh.

9 (edited by paisley1 2022-01-10 22:37:48)

Re: Cyberpunk 2077

graybags wrote:

What's so special about a truck?  I'm guessing it can hold more than the bikes and floating carriers?

You have to do this massive delivery at one point, and the carrying capacity of the level 3 truck has enough room for it.  Also, it saves you from stealing and using an ugly one from the mules, and it's cool.

10

Re: Cyberpunk 2077

graybags wrote:
paisley1 wrote:
graybags wrote:

If Cyberpunk will show what the 3080 can do, I might give it another go.   *might*!

I'm a fair way through Death Stranding.  I say fair way, I don't know how many episodes there are but I think I'm on episode 5.  I did do a fair few side missions until I realised they didn't take the story forward!  That's one thing I loved about the side missions in Witcher, 3 they all seemed worth doing.  So I did them all smile
I still think it looked great, infact I think you're the first person I've heard that says otherwise.  But each to their own.

Thanks for the tip re: the truck.  I've done alot of missions for the junk dealer, guess I'll need to do a few more smile

RDR2 I have aswell, but that's another game I've played for a few hours and just dropped.  Didn't get into it.

Ghost of Tsushima as you say is on my PS5.  I'll defo give it a go next.

Turning on resizeable BAR in your motherboard bios settings, will give your 3080 a performance uptick.  You might have to look into the motherboard manual to find where that option is located, but it's worth it for both Cyberpunk and Death Stranding.  Nvidia Control Panel > System Information > Resizeable BAR, and check if it's on or off.

Read my review of RDR2 and everyone hates ACT 1, it sucks, but half way through ACT 2, to the end, is amazing!

Setting up a zip line to the junk dealer is almost worth it, you have to do so many deliveries to him and from him, all over the place, to get a truck.  Think 6000 likes, and you're getting warm.

I have an X570 Tomahawk and I don't remember that in the bios.  I'll update it and see if it's listed - thanks.

What's so special about a truck?  I'm guessing it can hold more than the bikes and floating carriers?

2020.  Meh.

11 (edited by paisley1 2022-01-11 21:15:29)

Re: Cyberpunk 2077

MSI X570 Tomahawk, that's easy:  In BIOS.  Settings > Advanced > PCI Subsystem Settings > Re-size BAR [Enable]
Nvidia Control Panel > System Information > Resizeable BAR, and check if it's on or off.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/ne … r-support/

12

Re: Cyberpunk 2077

Resizeable BAR   YES

So that worked then.  Thanks.  But what about the truck? smile

2020.  Meh.

13 (edited by paisley1 2022-01-11 00:18:17)

Re: Cyberpunk 2077

graybags wrote:

Resizeable BAR   YES

So that worked then.  Thanks.  But what about the truck? smile

Grind away.  Singing "The bear went over the mountain" helps with the repetition. lol  About the truck, see above.