1

Topic: Is rewatching old TV good for the soul?

I don't do that but know that we have some fans of that here. Interesting BBC article:

Is rewatching old TV good for the soul?
https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/202 … r-the-soul

2 (edited by paisley1 2021-05-02 21:15:09)

Re: Is rewatching old TV good for the soul?

lighton wrote:

I don't do that but know that we have some fans of that here. Interesting BBC article:

Is rewatching old TV good for the soul?
https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/202 … r-the-soul

That was a great article, thanks for sharing. big_smile  I like that the article ends with "the ultimate mission for programme-makers today is to create the next era of shows that will have currency in 10 years, and 20 years' time too. The future of TV lies not just in what we want to watch tonight, but what we'll want to watch over and over and over."

And I think this list of shows exemplifies that sentiment:

LOST
The Office
Parks and Recreation
House MD
Star Trek Voyager
Fringe
Eureka
Alias

There's something universal and eternal about them to me. I also love the nostalgia of owning a hard copy of a TV series as a souvenir, as to me old TV is a bit like owning art that I want to put up from time to time, when it's good. big_smile

3 (edited by merc_1 2021-05-03 12:17:07)

Re: Is rewatching old TV good for the soul?

I was wondering a similar question. Are there any shows  you follow here you like to watch again.

Mine
Warrior Nun. some nice placements and the characters attractive. I am surprised we havent seen more of Alba Baptista as the lead. I still wonder how on earth they manage to persuade a Roman Catholic church ( in Spain) to allow use of its facilities in what is a deconstruction of catholic belief, the ( new) Pope is a rogue

Agents of Shield.

The Last Kingdom

to name a few

4

Re: Is rewatching old TV good for the soul?

Rewatching to me feels anachronistic. It's what I was forced to do back in those dark days when I had to record things or buy them and there weren't that many shows I'd want to do the latter. Lack of new things to watch is now the complete opposite of my problem.

5

Re: Is rewatching old TV good for the soul?

As I am a total 'Series-Junkie', I do both.
Meaning watching today's shows and 'Yesterday' shows.
Right now I am binge-watching '7 Days' and 'V.I.P'.
Not to long ago I watched 'Northern Exposure', 'Highlander-the Series'.
I could go on and on because I have a rather large collection but I will spare you all. smile

6

Re: Is rewatching old TV good for the soul?

its perfect for the soul...
Like strawberry jam on a warm slice of bread on a could december morning!

7

Re: Is rewatching old TV good for the soul?

Well, I love to re watch series, I think i've watched my fav series at least 3 times, both live and anime.

I'm currently watching SG Atlantis for the third time and having a blast. Dr. Rodney McKay must be the best character ever created played by an phenomenal actor.

8

Re: Is rewatching old TV good for the soul?

merc_1 wrote:

Are there any shows  you follow here you like to watch again.

Banshee (2013-2016)
Better off Ted (2009)
Black Sails (2014-2017)
Brooklyn Nine-Nine (2013-)
Colony (2016-2018)
Dead Like Me (2003-2004)
Dexter (2006-2013)
FlashForward (2009-2010)
Fringe (2008–2013)
Get Shorty (2017-)
How to Get Away with Murder (2014-2020)
Impastor (2015-2016)
Jett (2019)
Justified (2010-2015)
Killing Eve (2018-)
Lucky Louie (2006)
Mythic Quest - Ravens Banquet (2020)
Mr.Mercedes (2017-)
Parks and Recreation (2009-2015)
Revolution (2012-2014)
Sense8 (2015-2018)
Sex Education (2019)
Shut Eye (2016-2017)
Taboo (2017-)
Terminator - The Sarah Connor Chronicles (2008-2009)
The 100 (2014-2020)
The Big Bang Theory
The Great (2020-)
The IT Crowd (2006-2013)
The Magicians (2015-2020)
The Real Hustle (2006-2012)
Travelers (2016-)
Under the Dome (2013-2015)
V (2009-2011)
Weeds (2005-2012)
Westworld (2016-)
Why Women Kill (2019-)
Wrecked (2016-2018)

9

Re: Is rewatching old TV good for the soul?

Is rewatching old TV good for the soul?

Yes.

...where did I put that rat's ass I could give?

Daemons are benevolent or benign nature spirits, beings of the same nature as both mortals and gods, similar to ghosts, chthonic heroes, spirit guides, forces of nature or the gods themselves.

10 (edited by paisley1 2021-05-07 15:48:07)

Re: Is rewatching old TV good for the soul?

Sometimes I get into a genre mood and will want to re-watch specific episodes from stuff like:

Father Ted
Red Dwarf
Fawlty Towers
Blackadder
Monty Python
The IT Crowd
The Extras
Black Books


...but mostly Father Ted. lol "Tea Father?" lol "He was a shadow of a sheep."

11

Re: Is rewatching old TV good for the soul?

paisley1 wrote:

Sometimes I get into a genre mood and will want to re-watch specific episodes from stuff like:

Father Ted
Red Dwarf
Fawlty Towers
Blackadder
Monty Python
The IT Crowd
The Extras
Black Books


...but mostly Father Ted. lol "Tea Father?" lol "He was a shadow of a sheep."

"Small.  Far away."  Fantastic.

2020.  Meh.

12

Re: Is rewatching old TV good for the soul?

graybags wrote:
paisley1 wrote:

Sometimes I get into a genre mood and will want to re-watch specific episodes from stuff like:

Father Ted
Red Dwarf
Fawlty Towers
Blackadder
Monty Python
The IT Crowd
The Extras
Black Books


...but mostly Father Ted. lol "Tea Father?" lol "He was a shadow of a sheep."

"Small.  Far away."  Fantastic.

lol +1 lol

13

Re: Is rewatching old TV good for the soul?

Lots of great shows in those lists here, a few shows dear to me but the list could be endless:

Nikita
White Collar
Battlestar Galactica
The OC
Chuck
12 Monkeys
Eureka
Grimm
Hawaii Five-O
Luther
Sherlock
Torchwood
Agents of Shield
Person of Interest
Veronica Mars
Smallville

14 (edited by lighton 2021-05-10 07:16:35)

Re: Is rewatching old TV good for the soul?

Banshee, Dexter and Justified on any given day.

15

Re: Is rewatching old TV good for the soul?

yikes yikes

I'm blown away by how much stuff some of you would watch again! For me, the list probably includes

https://next-episode.net/messiah and
https://next-episode.net/devs

...but nothing else comes to mind right away. smile

16 (edited by g371 2021-05-10 14:35:49)

Re: Is rewatching old TV good for the soul?

Is it still legal to make shows like Banshee, Better off Ted or Lucky Louie? smile

17

Re: Is rewatching old TV good for the soul?

g371 wrote:

.
.
Sex Education (2019)
.
.

Sex Education is still running, no?

https://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=Watchlist&kk=276008292d78a1f619f8bbc10840767b

18 (edited by paisley1 2021-05-11 16:41:59)

Re: Is rewatching old TV good for the soul?

lighton wrote:

yikes yikes

I'm blown away by how much stuff some of you would watch again! For me, the list probably includes

https://next-episode.net/messiah and
https://next-episode.net/devs

...but nothing else comes to mind right away. smile

Age may have something to do with that.  Devs and Messiah?  Really?  Those are mini-series, not TV shows, and they weren't that good.  Band of Brothers and John Adams will calibrate what quality mini-series look like and what's worth re-watching.

Some of us remember watching the original A-Team, Miami Vice, Macgyver, Simon and Simon, Moonlighting, Magnum PI, Dallas, LA Law, Highway to Heaven, Hill Street Blues, Airwolf, Doogie Howser, The Cosby Show, Family Ties, Silver Spoons, ALF, Full House, Family Matters, Perfect Strangers, and Quantum Leap, but when they first came out over the antenna/bunny ears.  Hard to watch now.

A show that holds up well with excellent writing and cinematography is Columbo.  Definitely worth a re-watch.

TV has moments of excellence in every generation and it goes through peaks and valleys, but TV was just so good throughout 1999-2009 that it begs repeat viewing.  It was the last golden era.  Just look at everyone's favorites.

Like Lighton, have you not seen The Office (US), Parks and Recreation, Community, The West Wing, Mad Men, Homeland, Damages, Boston Legal, Friday Night Lights, Lost, In Treatment, Battlestar Galactica (2004) and Breaking Bad?  If not, pick one and marathon it.  They're all good.

I used to play Firefly and Corner Gas like the radio!  Mostly memorized at this point.

To Imadsani, that's a decent list, I recently bought and re-watched White Collar, so good in HD, great great show.

I can't believe you guys have even heard of Better off Ted and Lucky Louie!  lol  That's impressive!  Louie talking to his daughter is hysterical. lol  Wish it got more than one season.

Just talking about old TV puts me in a good mood.  How's that for staying on topic?

19

Re: Is rewatching old TV good for the soul?

paisley1 wrote:
lighton wrote:

yikes yikes

I'm blown away by how much stuff some of you would watch again! For me, the list probably includes

https://next-episode.net/messiah and
https://next-episode.net/devs

...but nothing else comes to mind right away. smile

Age may have something to do with that.  Devs and Messiah?  Really?  Those are mini-series, not TV shows.

I don't make a distinction there. smile Oh, and I forgot to list https://next-episode.net/love-death-and-robots - that's (IIRC) the only one I did start rewatching in recent history. cool

paisley1 wrote:

have you not seen The Office (US), Parks and Recreation, Community, The West Wing, Mad Men, Homeland, Damages, Boston Legal, Friday Night Lights, Lost, In Treatment, Battlestar Galactica (2004) and Breaking Bad?  If not, pick one and marathon it.  They're all good.

I've watched Lost and Battlestar Galactica (2004) - the rest were mostly not of interest to me. And while I rated Lost 10/10 I'm not interested in spending the time to watch it all again. Battlestar Galactica (2004) got less than 10/10, so even less interest there. wink

20 (edited by HomerS 2021-05-11 13:48:34)

Re: Is rewatching old TV good for the soul?

lighton wrote:

I've watched Lost and Battlestar Galactica (2004) - the rest were mostly not of interest to me.

You haven't watched Breaking Bad? yikes

/faints

https://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=Watchlist&kk=276008292d78a1f619f8bbc10840767b

21

Re: Is rewatching old TV good for the soul?

https://media0.giphy.com/media/Yycc82XEuWDaLLi2GV/giphy.gif

...where did I put that rat's ass I could give?

Daemons are benevolent or benign nature spirits, beings of the same nature as both mortals and gods, similar to ghosts, chthonic heroes, spirit guides, forces of nature or the gods themselves.

22 (edited by paisley1 2021-05-11 15:19:49)

Re: Is rewatching old TV good for the soul?

https://media.giphy.com/media/EEAkzwDYe7QRHYEHyg/giphy.gif

https://persephonemagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/mal-speechless.gif

23

Re: Is rewatching old TV good for the soul?

HomerS wrote:

You haven't watched Breaking Bad? yikes

/faints


Nope, me neither.  Couldn't get into it.
Sopranos too.  Just no.

DRM "manages access" in the same way that Prison "manages freedom".
http://xkcd.com/488/

24

Re: Is rewatching old TV good for the soul?

Wizard wrote:
HomerS wrote:

You haven't watched Breaking Bad? yikes

/faints


Nope, me neither.  Couldn't get into it.
Sopranos too.  Just no.

Took me also 2 tries to get into Breaking Bad, first try i watched 1-2 episodes, thought it was ok but benched it. Then i came back 1-2 years later and tried again and i'm so glad i did as Breaking Bad has some of the best episodes on TV.

Give it another chance when you have the time, you will thank me later smile

https://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=Watchlist&kk=276008292d78a1f619f8bbc10840767b

25

Re: Is rewatching old TV good for the soul?

Hehe... cool

HomerS wrote:

Took me also 2 tries to get into Breaking Bad, first try i watched 1-2 episodes, thought it was ok but benched it. Then i came back 1-2 years later and tried again and i'm so glad i did as Breaking Bad has some of the best episodes on TV.

Give it another chance when you have the time, you will thank me later smile

I might in the future... A year (or two) ago the trailer for https://next-episode.net/the-leftovers didn't resonate with me, so I didn't start watching the show. Recently it did, so I'm now watching it.