1

Topic: The Cancelled / Ended status discussion

It would be great if there was a user option to change the status to either ended or cancelled rather than both.

Its a shame the status shows as both as its hard to tell what has actually concluded story wise and what has actually been canceled mid story.

2

Re: The Cancelled / Ended status discussion

It's not always a clear either/or thing, see our "The importance of shows having a proper ending" discussion. smile

3

Re: The Cancelled / Ended status discussion

Thanks for the info, I'll surely check it out while i get to grips with the forum. I know what you mean but would there be no way to at least add an option so shows could be marked as finished or cancelled for ones that are definite?

This would be particularly helpful not just for shows which have ended but particularly for ones which only contained one season and may give the impression its been canceled rather than finished the story.

I know a few shows off the top of my head which have been cancelled (most that are are well documented) as well a few shows which only contained one season and others that have concluded with complete stories. If we could adjust even the shows we know for sure i think it would generally help alot.

Sorry again if this has been covered before, still quite new to the forum big_smile

4

Re: The Cancelled / Ended status discussion

sixties_keith wrote:

Sorry again if this has been covered before, still quite new to the forum big_smile

Maybe it has, but definitely not in that thread.

The reason for the "Canceled/Ended" label is, of course, fairly obvious. It would still be nice if, for shows where it is clear, there was still the option to have a definitive label, even if it would have to be changed manually.

Considering that a lot of data on this page is curated manually anyways, it should not create a lot of extra effort. Not every show would even need to have the proper label and I agree with sixties_keith: it would add some useful information to a lot of show pages.



TL;DR suggestion:
Have three separate labels for "Canceled", "Ended" and default "Canceled/Ended".

5

Re: The Cancelled / Ended status discussion

What would be the point of knowing how a show ended?  If they aren't making any more episodes, surely that's all that matters?

I've seen a lot of lists on various websites that state a show has been cancelled when actually it just ended, and I think to myself that isn't right, but I just forget about it and move on.

Or am I missing the point?

2020.  Meh.

6

Re: The Cancelled / Ended status discussion

graybags wrote:

Or am I missing the point?

I think so? Not sure.

Sure, for a site called "next episode" it should technically be enough to know "there is none".

A lot of people don't like starting shows they know will never have a proper ending - that much has been discussed before. Considering that this site also has a good number of show discovery features, having more information available in that regard could be rather useful, even if it isn't reliable.

7

Re: The Cancelled / Ended status discussion

The problem with that is, is that some shows end on a cliff hanger, even if they ended.

And some that were cancelled but still had some kind of closure.

I know it's annoying when you've invested a lot of time in something and it doesn't end how you'd like it to, but if I only watched shows that didn't get cancelled in mid-flow, or didn't have a lovely ending with everything wrapped up, I don't think I'd have watched anything at all.

2020.  Meh.

8

Re: The Cancelled / Ended status discussion

What if the show was cancelled but the authors had concluded the story line? Just because a show has been cancelled does not mean it received a proper ending. Or vice versa.

Or did I miss what you meant? Either way its over done. Take what you got the way it was presented and be happy sites like this even bother to let you know.

You have internet. You can look up whatever show you need to find out if it ended or was cancelled.

Maybe switch to Ending Or Cancelled? Ah, I really don't care.

9

Re: The Cancelled / Ended status discussion

inkblot wrote:

What if the show was cancelled but the authors had concluded the story line? Just because a show has been cancelled does not mean it received a proper ending. Or vice versa.

Or did I miss what you meant? Either way its over done. Take what you got the way it was presented and be happy sites like this even bother to let you know.

You have internet. You can look up whatever show you need to find out if it ended or was cancelled.

Maybe switch to Ending Or Cancelled? Ah, I really don't care.

Why even bother to come here to say this? The point of threads like this is not to demand anything. It's to provide feedback from actual users on where the site could still be improved, even if just a little bit. User feedback is a very useful thing to have in software development. The final say on what will and will not happen is santah's anyway, so what is your point?


And you are right, not every show is clearly either canceled or ended. Hence the suggestion to keep "Canceled/Ended" as the default. That doesn't mean that the correct status can't be displayed for those shows where it is clear, and yes, for a lot of shows it is.

10

Re: The Cancelled / Ended status discussion

Since it isn't as black and white as "renewed"/ "not renewed", and thus could lead to a discussion which label to put on a show's ending (There will be mails like "Nooo, santah, this show got the wrong ending label because of XYZ reason!" cool), maybe there could be buttons for user votes, adding their opinion on what kind of ending there was?

I personally don't care that much about this, maybe santah will share if he thinks this is worth coding time. smile

graybags wrote:

if I only watched shows that didn't get cancelled in mid-flow, or didn't have a lovely ending with everything wrapped up, I don't think I'd have watched anything at all.

big_smile

11

Re: The Cancelled / Ended status discussion

Hi guys and thanks for the feedback, all i was suggesting was that the cancelled/ended option was used as default. Otherwise if there was an option to say cancelled or complete if indeed this is the case, i think it would really help.

I also understand that the internet can be used to investigate this but being a fan of this site I would rather get my information for here rather than navigating away.

Its also worth noting I'm one of those people who wouldn't bother watching a show if i knew it was cancelled. This is however not to be mixed up with a finished show ending on a cliffhanger, happy or not these shows actually finished rather than simply being cut off mid plot.


2 examples each below detailing what i was mentioning in my previous post:


Complete - story finished

Falling skies- https://next-episode.net/falling-skies
lost - https://next-episode.net/lost

Cancelled -

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles - https://next-episode.net/terminator-the … chronicles
Almost Human - https://next-episode.net/almost-human


Also worth noting some shows may appear to have been cancelled whereas they were only one season shows, one example of this is also below

Limitless- https://next-episode.net/limitless


If this was a feature I would simply edit the shows I know to be true as I have personally watched them and hope that others do the same for TV shows I haven't watched yet. I don't know about you guys but there's nothing more frustrating than really getting into a show to find out its been cancelled. Anyways just my view on things, thanks smile

12

Re: The Cancelled / Ended status discussion

some_one wrote:
inkblot wrote:

What if the show was cancelled but the authors had concluded the story line? Just because a show has been cancelled does not mean it received a proper ending. Or vice versa.

Or did I miss what you meant? Either way its over done. Take what you got the way it was presented and be happy sites like this even bother to let you know.

You have internet. You can look up whatever show you need to find out if it ended or was cancelled.

Maybe switch to Ending Or Cancelled? Ah, I really don't care.

Why even bother to come here to say this? The point of threads like this is not to demand anything. It's to provide feedback from actual users on where the site could still be improved, even if just a little bit. User feedback is a very useful thing to have in software development. The final say on what will and will not happen is santah's anyway, so what is your point?


And you are right, not every show is clearly either canceled or ended. Hence the suggestion to keep "Canceled/Ended" as the default. That doesn't mean that the correct status can't be displayed for those shows where it is clear, and yes, for a lot of shows it is.


Demand was not mentioned once in my message. And no matter what you do or say. There will always be someone who is not happy and someone who is.

My point was leave santah alone. You came to the same conclusion as I. If the OP does not watch shows that are cancelled without being finished, let him do the legwork. It is his problem alone.

Everyone here has internet. What is wrong with doing some searching on our own? The time they wasted mentioning a possible problem, could have been spent researching shows the OP is interested in.

This site will never appear to be perfect for every user. But to cause more work for santah for this, is simply mind numbing.

13

Re: The Cancelled / Ended status discussion

inkblot wrote:

My point was leave santah alone. You came to the same conclusion as I. If the OP does not watch shows that are cancelled without being finished, let him do the legwork. It is his problem alone.

I most certainly did not...? None of this, in fact.

There are many other people who have this problem. I am just not one of them.


inkblot wrote:

Demand was not mentioned once in my message. And no matter what you do or say. There will always be someone who is not happy and someone who is.

[...]

Everyone here has internet. What is wrong with doing some searching on our own? The time they wasted mentioning a possible problem, could have been spent researching shows the OP is interested in.

This site will never appear to be perfect for every user. But to cause more work for santah for this, is simply mind numbing.

Demand was not "mentioned", no. But what you are saying makes absolutely no sense if you aren't saying that it was implied - which is why I am assuming you are. And if you are, you are wrong.


What you seem to be telling us is that people should stop asking for features, so I have to assume that you are under the impression that feature requests like this are somehow, inherently, a burden. Again, you are wrong.

I cannot stress this enough: santah is under absolutely no obligation to do any of this in the first place.

This thread exists inside a thread category. It is called "Site comments/suggestions". It exists specifically so that users like sixties_keith can ask for features. Apparently, then, somebody actually wants users to make suggestions. Yet you are, for some reason, saying that we shouldn't.


Why do you think your help is required here?

Do you believe services like this site are normally created all at once and immediately perfect? next-episode, as it currently exists, is the result of many years of work. Adding features, changing things around so that they are easier to use for its users. It's an incremental process.

Threads like this exist as an idea pool and as a reference for how people feel about different parts of the site. They exist in case santah is ever looking for something that could be improved. You telling people to stop posting here helps exactly noone. Quite to the contrary, even.





sixties_keith wrote:

[...]

Agreed. Those are good examples.

14

Re: The Cancelled / Ended status discussion

Hey guys.

I feel I need to mention my position on this (the topic but the discussion itself as well).

We've had 2-3 other threads regarding this topic. The conclusion is always the same - it kinda cannot be done.

The little that can be done doesn't justify the massive, continuous effort that would be put into it (gathering and moderating the "suggestions" from users about what should be flagged as ended and what cancelled etc).

I also wanted to add something that I see missing from the discussion here - the reason we would want to have such feature (and the way it's gonna benefit the users) is that we're gonna provide that info spoiler free (while if everyone did their research on their own - they're very likely to stumble upon spoilers which I'm sure they're afraid of).

Finally, I agree with what was said above that threads like this one are very useful (to me) to keep in touch with what users are missing and what their use case is.

I'm always on the lookout for a great new feature that we haven't thought of yet (or that was made possible by a new service or technology). Unfortunately this specific one isn't it.

https://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=5ba0ff0eba240dd51b6bf07fff0abb0e