Re: The Mandalorian

Or just click the square at the very right - the formatting options, when you write a message. smile

As a longtime fan of the expanded universe of SW I really appreciate how the Mandalorian turns out.

Spoiler

I always hoped the new Trilogy would stick to the books I read over the last 25 years ( almost 80 of them), but it didn´t :-( . It´s so exhilarating that the Mandalorian does. I hope we see the Chiss in person.

Thx to daemonious and lighton

No I´m not Tom Hanks - duh!!

Those books are gone.  Theres now Canon and Legends according to the marketing.  The old books are Legends and anything in the films or TV (including Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels, Star Wars Resistance etc) is now classed as Canon. Basically the IP is Disneys and they can choose to bring back elements from it but do not expect it to be followed.  It already isn't.

If you watch Rebels and Clone Wars (also done by Filoni) you will see that everything that's been brought into the Mandalorian so far like GAT has already been 'brought back' previously in those shows with new but similar backgrounds.

The thing with Filoni is (and I'm guessing Favreau), is that they pick things from out of the books and other "legends" that they like, therefore making them canon.  Just look at Cobb Vanth and the darksabre.

I'm really impressed with this season of The Mandalorian, I think they nailed Ahsoka.

And if that last episode wasn't a nod to some classic Samurai films I don't know what is.

2020.  Meh.

105 (edited by selecta 2020-11-29 23:10:46)

I tend to view Star Wars more as fantasy set in space, than as science fiction. This is not our universe, so none of our universe's rules have to apply. Not saying this as a derogatory remark, I do this to be able to enjoy this world/verse without being bothered by things that would have bothered me in, for EXAMPLE, Star Trek, which is undoubtedly set in OUR universe, although in the future.

Love the show so far, very few disappointments, a few questionable casting choices, but that's not a big deal. They really work hard to please the fans, lots of small details with connections to the other films/shows. Anyone else notice the Loth cats? big_smile

Spoiler

Loved to see Katee Sackhoff in the role she voiced before (only right!), and amazing to see Ahsoka "come alive"!

106 (edited by Lollie 2020-11-30 05:26:40)

Well I mean, I'm recommending this show all over the place, purely for its entertainment value which they nailed absolutely.

https://i.postimg.cc/FzfWmwnQ/sigTV.png

107 (edited by lighton 2020-12-11 19:54:48)

Ep 7 - now THAT's a great episode!! Great writing, great acting!!

--

Admin edit: I removed the spoiler tags since there is no spoiler in your post. smile

Season finale = EPIC!!!!

MeDumbDuck wrote:

Season finale = EPIC!!!!

I would say something like 3 above EPIC - Is there a word for it?

No I´m not Tom Hanks - duh!!

There were too many stupid decision made only because the story needed them. Also the you-know-what-if-you've-seen-it was dumb.

...where did I put that rat's ass I could give?

Daemons are benevolent or benign nature spirits, beings of the same nature as both mortals and gods, similar to ghosts, chthonic heroes, spirit guides, forces of nature or the gods themselves.

2x08 Great episode

only thing

Spoiler

since Mando already took off his helmet in Ep7, it lost a bit of meaning this time but besides that pretty awesome stuff.

And don't switch off too early there is a post credit scene with some news

https://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=Watchlist&kk=276008292d78a1f619f8bbc10840767b

112 (edited by dofus 2020-12-19 03:04:25)

This show is awfully bad, the writing is horrible and extremely cliché. All surface and no substance at all. It is like an extremely violent childrens show. It lacks tension and suspense since there is never any danger or unknown outcomes in any scenario, we know the heroes will always win, they are invincible and the fight scenes are also really badly choreographed because of this, like nobody even cares. The imperial soldiers are so incompetent it is not even believable. You can not have an "empire" with completely useless soldiers.

Also the political undertones are actually quite revolting, the empire are supposed to represent "evil" (nazis of course) but who are really evil these days in shows like this? We see this in the real world too now, when you are a self-appointed "good guy" you can apparantly do anything you want, especially against the "enemy." You can treat them however you want.

The "good" guys randomly murders like 200 people in each episode, they even shoot people in the back and people who already are defeated. They brutally kill everybody they come across with absolutely no remorse. They also break all laws and rules. I am quite sure they had to cut one scene from airing because it originally was just too much, what happened to that woman with the spear. Moff Gideon even says it this episode, "i bet they killed every one on the bridge, those violent savages." The "evil" imperial soldiers do not shoot people in the back, they say "halt" instead for example. And all this is presented in what essentially is a childrens show. Just a decade or two ago, they usually never killed people in childrens shows. This is not a healthy message for children at all. Or adults for that matter.

dofus wrote:

This show is awfully bad, the writing is horrible and extremely cliché. All surface and no substance at all. It is like an extremely violent childrens show. It lacks tension and suspense since there is never any danger or unknown outcomes in any scenario, we know the heroes will always win, they are invincible and the fight scenes are also really badly choreographed because of this, like nobody even cares. The imperial soldiers are so incompetent it is not even believable. You can not have an "empire" with completely useless soldiers.

Also the political undertones are actually quite revolting, the empire are supposed to represent "evil" (nazis of course) but who are really evil these days in shows like this? We see this in the real world too now, when you are a self-appointed "good guy" you can apparantly do anything you want, especially against the "enemy." You can treat them however you want.

The "good" guys randomly murders like 200 people in each episode, they even shoot people in the back and people who already are defeated. They brutally kill everybody they come across with absolutely no remorse. They also break all laws and rules. I am quite sure they had to cut one scene from airing because it originally was just too much, what happened to that woman with the spear. Moff Gideon even says it this episode, "i bet they killed every one on the bridge, those violent savages." The "evil" imperial soldiers do not shoot people in the back, they say "halt" instead for example. And all this is presented in what essentially is a childrens show. Just a decade or two ago, they usually never killed people in childrens shows. This is not a healthy message for children at all. Or adults for that matter.

We'll have to agree to disagree. All I can say is this isn't the show you're looking for, move along...

2020.  Meh.

114 (edited by lighton 2020-12-19 11:56:33)

HomerS wrote:

And don't switch off too early there is a post credit scene with some news

Yeah, those are too easy to miss! smile

dofus wrote:

This show is awfully bad

I agree with your criticism but only a little bit*, and still agree with the current 8.7/10 IMDb rating.

*I find it helpful to keep in mind that the show is produced in a country that's okay with the fact that "about 1.4 million people have died from firearms in the U.S. between 1968 and 2011" - about 470 9/11 events in terms of casualties, almost one 9/11 per month.

lighton wrote:

I agree with your criticism but only a little bit*, and still agree with the current 8.7/10 IMDb rating.

I watched all of both seasons of The Mandalorian so far quite happily, but it is the most over-hyped show I have seen for many years.

Reminds me of another quasi-Western everyone *had* to stay up and watch each week many decades ago, David Carradine's "Kung Fu". Like that show, the Mandalorian is great fun, but hardly great TV.

CarmarthenLad wrote:

the Mandalorian is great fun, but hardly great TV.

Sure, https://next-episode.net/chernobyl was even better in several ways (and got a better IMDb rating), but it wasn't as fun to watch! big_smile

CarmarthenLad wrote:
lighton wrote:

I watched all of both seasons of The Mandalorian so far quite happily, but it is the most over-hyped show I have seen for many years.

Reminds me of another quasi-Western everyone *had* to stay up and watch each week many decades ago, David Carradine's "Kung Fu". Like that show, the Mandalorian is great fun, but hardly great TV.

I actually think it is "great TV".  Yes, I'm a big Star Wars fan, but I know quite a few people that aren't, and they are loving it too.  I really haven't found it to be over-hyped, I've heard way more about other shows that I've thought have been nowhere near as good as The Mandalorian.

2020.  Meh.

Also a Star Wars fan over here, and I definitely really like The Mandalorian.

But not all episodes are that great, and it started to bug me also that everything is a success, and nobody ever gets hurt. Yeah beskar is nice, but not everybody wears it... They also upped the uselessness of stormtroopers even more.
Anyway I guess it's that kind of show, kid-friendly. But that's a reason for me to not think of it as "great tv".

Loved the ending aswell!

https://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=6a8a6be017f155ddf75243c3ce62695b

119 (edited by Lollie 2020-12-22 14:24:13)

It's entertaining and does that well.

Also has really cute animals (and of course the baby yoda), which doesn't hurt a bit!

https://i.postimg.cc/FzfWmwnQ/sigTV.png

As i see it, if you start watching a show like The Mandalorian thinking it's going to be quality like, for example, The Wire, you will of course be disappointed. It's important to see it for what it is. Pure escapism, pure entertainment. And on that level, I think the show really delivers. Don't get hung up on small inconsistencies, or slightly hammy acting here and there!