Re: Stargirl [Action, Sci-Fi]

merc_1 wrote:

One of the things that makes this show interesting is  it is taking seriously that Stargirl is just 15, so eps 4 where Wild Cat is introduced, has her talk and act more like some one that age.

quote of the day

Stargirl to Yolanda - I am a super hero.I have a costume and EVERYTHING!
Yolanda - Oh God........

I think DC have completely nailed it with Stargirl.  Sooo much better than anything in the Arrowverse.

A rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle...

27 (edited by merc_1 2020-06-16 09:42:40)

Re: Stargirl [Action, Sci-Fi]

esp 5. It is now pretty clear the new JSA are all real misfits,  damaged or troubled people? That's unusual as mostly the heroes are much better than normal people?

quotes of the day.

Beth: oh Ants they are totally like a complete mini society, working for the greater good. Oh we used to have a roach farm too.

Yolonda: Oh, its well known that talking is Beth Chapel's super-power

Re: Stargirl [Action, Sci-Fi]

merc_1 wrote:

esp 5. It is now pretty clear the new JSA are all real misfits,  damaged or troubled people? That's unusual as mostly the heroes are much better than normal people?

I'd say there was a fair mix.  Poor, rich, scientists, schoolkids, geeks, nerds, aliens, all sorts really.  "Normal" is a funny word.

A rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle...

29 (edited by merc_1 2020-06-16 21:45:44)

Re: Stargirl [Action, Sci-Fi]

I didn't  realise that the DC and CW versions were different. I was lucky  to see the DC online full version. From a podcast I understand the cw version is shorter. It seems that the pilot cw version  in particular had numerous cuts. The cw version  didn't have Pat perusing the  files in the basement, nor the car scene going to school, nor Courtney's  first meeting in the school corridor with cyndi about  cheer leaders & the weird janitor , or the missing the school bus scene with the janitor again, nor the  Jordan scene in the cemetery.

Re: Stargirl [Action, Sci-Fi]

There's definitely more to that weird janitor, he's been in every ep, even if he just lurking in the background watching and listening...

A rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle...

31 (edited by merc_1 2020-06-23 18:35:52)

Re: Stargirl [Action, Sci-Fi]

well eps 6 raised the whole problem of teenage super heroes? rather an uncomfortable  eps?  I wonder how it will finally be resolved?

+ show spoiler

I wonder if sportsmaster and tigress will have the bodies of the coaches they killed found and the gambler's whereabouts reported to the feds - we were told he was on their wanted lists. Hard to see them killed without the teenagers becoming hardened?

and we got to see some of the the other villains?

+ show spoiler

I bet we were all thinking that that asian woman in eps1 who told Courtney where to sit  in the refectory  was one of them & wondering about Crusher?

quote of the day
Beth: Does this mean I get a costume? I'd really like a costume

Re: Stargirl [Action, Sci-Fi]

eps 7. So what does the esp  title SHIV mean? Any way it was a cracker of an episode. Things are really hotting up

Re: Stargirl [Action, Sci-Fi]

merc_1 wrote:

So what does the esp  title SHIV mean?

It's the name of the character the episode is primarily about.

34 (edited by merc_1 2020-06-30 11:20:16)

Re: Stargirl [Action, Sci-Fi]

+ show spoiler

atleast we have an idea who the janitor is? He clearly knows Stripsey so must be ex-JSA?

As for Cyndi - she's worse than the lot of the ISA? Did she hear Pat call out Coutney's name  when he was looking for her, or was Cyndi too far gone after the sword had knocked her for 6?

Re: Stargirl [Action, Sci-Fi]

merc_1 wrote:
+ show spoiler

atleast we have an idea who the janitor is? He clearly knows Stripsey so must be ex-JSA?

+ show spoiler

Well episode 11 is apparently called "Shining Knight" and this guy has a sword, so that might be a clue.


merc_1 wrote:
+ show spoiler

As for Cyndi - she's worse than the lot of the ISA? Did she hear Pat call out Coutney's name  when he was looking for her, or was Cyndi too far gone after the sword had knocked her for 6?

Scenes like this actually kinda annoy me. If a situation like that happened, there is no way she would not figure it out, but here it was played as if she didn't.

Ultimately it will be whatever the writers have decided would help the plot along better, not what is more likely, and they gave no usable indication of which one it is supposed to be either.

Prognosis (wild guess):

+ show spoiler

She actually did not notice it but (in)conveniently remembers a few episodes down the line.

36 (edited by merc_1 2020-07-01 21:59:05)

Re: Stargirl [Action, Sci-Fi]

+ show spoiler

well  she had been  knocked for 6 by the Janitor so maybe was too far gone to take in anything and could only just manage to drag her self off, so not entirely unreasonable to suppose she didnt? it seemed that way to me. a toss up? clearly intentional leaving you guessing? I cant see how she could have taken it in other wise the show is over?

I see that Lea Thompson directed this episode. surprise surprise?

Re: Stargirl [Action, Sci-Fi]

some_one wrote:
merc_1 wrote:
+ show spoiler

As for Cyndi - she's worse than the lot of the ISA? Did she hear Pat call out Coutney's name  when he was looking for her, or was Cyndi too far gone after the sword had knocked her for 6?

Scenes like this actually kinda annoy me. If a situation like that happened, there is no way she would not figure it out, but here it was played as if she didn't.

Yeah, that's what has annoyed me in many superhero movies/shows since at least Superman a few decades ago. tongue The superhero is hardly masked or badly masked, but noooooooooo... nobody recognizes him/her. Stupid! cool

Re: Stargirl [Action, Sci-Fi]

+ show spoiler

I am surprised that Cyndi's costume didn't get a mask - she is now a target and finished? unless Stargirl gets amnesia as a result of the encounter?

Re: Stargirl [Action, Sci-Fi]

+ show spoiler

Maybe in the next ep we'll find out that they both know who the other actually is?

A rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle...

Re: Stargirl [Action, Sci-Fi]

lighton wrote:

Yeah, that's what has annoyed me in many superhero movies/shows since at least Superman a few decades ago. tongue The superhero is hardly masked or badly masked, but noooooooooo... nobody recognizes him/her. Stupid! cool

Nope. That's actually not what I mean at all.
Take shows like The Flash. The characters barely make an effort to conceal their identities at all there.
And yet, it is made abundantly clear that, within the scope of the story, nobody actually ever does recognize anybody. It's just a general rule they pretty much stick to.

Here... well, we don't know. It could be either. Which is good for something that is going to happen, sure, but the scene already happened, and it was not made clear whether or not there was any recognition.

Unless there is a specific narrative reason to hide it, the viewer should always be able to tell what has happened...



+ show spoiler
merc_1 wrote:

I am surprised that Cyndi's costume didn't get a mask - she is now a target and finished? unless Stargirl gets amnesia as a result of the encounter?

Reasonably sure they are going to spin this into a moral dilemma sort of subplot, or at least one involving a lot of sneakiness.

Re: Stargirl [Action, Sci-Fi]

some_one wrote:

Take shows like The Flash. The characters barely make an effort to conceal their identities at all there.
And yet, it is made abundantly clear that, within the scope of the story, nobody actually ever does recognize anybody. It's just a general rule they pretty much stick to.

Then it's a stupid rule. tongue

It's like saying "Oh, let's lower gravity to 42% in all action movies because the stunt scenes would look so much cooler." cool

Re: Stargirl [Action, Sci-Fi]

lighton wrote:

Then it's a stupid rule. tongue

It's not a rule, it's just what you go in expecting and what they stick to. As long as you can tell what is happening, fine by me.

lighton wrote:

It's like saying "Oh, let's lower gravity to 42% in all action movies because the stunt scenes would look so much cooler." cool

Well... why not? Certainly not "all", but why not "some"? Ignoring that this is essentially already happening anyways, what is so special about naturalistic portrayal?

Compare that to video games: a lot of people still seem to buy into the need to have the game look as photorealistic as possible. I know people who will not bother playing a game that takes place in 2D space.

At the same time, the truly memorable games are not usually famous for their excellent graphics but because they offer gameplay and/or writing that is actually fun (or otherwise entertaining). Hell, just look at literally any popular Nintendo game at any time.

If it is clear what does and does not work in a fictional universe, I think it should be fine. Ever tried knocking a person briefly unconscious? You are more likely to end up with some form of murder charge than succeed at that. And yet, we accept it in our pop culture as a thing that is usually simply possible, because it moves the plot along.

Re: Stargirl [Action, Sci-Fi]

Ok, I like the game metaphor, but the masking 'rule' is still too implicit (and a bit stupid) for me. cool

Re: Stargirl [Action, Sci-Fi]

+ show spoiler

since possibly cyndi know who stargirl is and courtney knows cyndi is an ISA-brat there could be  fun scenes in the school, with the janitor helping, In fact the final episode could be in the school with them all there and the school gets demolished - back to the opening scene of eps1 ?

45 (edited by merc_1 2020-07-06 19:09:35)

Re: Stargirl [Action, Sci-Fi]

wow eps 8 s  a real corker? This is a really well designed show?

+ show spoiler

so cyndi does know who star girl is and showed how good she was at leading some one on, visiting her at her home after her "accident"  after small talking and eating all the chocs she borught.  telling her that she is going to wipe out her friends then come back for her. There was no fudging the issue which we feared?  - cyndi hates her dad as just as much as any one else so wont tell him what she knows ,and her arrogance is going to be her undoing?. This seems to be the ISA weakness they all hate one another? eg the gym rats hate the gambler


EDIT: Fixed spoiler tag (again) - Wizard

Re: Stargirl [Action, Sci-Fi]

merc_1, you are not closing your spoiler tags properly, you're missing the open bracket in the closing tag...

[  /  spoiler  ]
^
missing

DRM "manages access" in the same way that Prison "manages freedom".
http://xkcd.com/488/

47 (edited by merc_1 2020-07-06 20:47:43)

Re: Stargirl [Action, Sci-Fi]

Wizard wrote:

merc_1, you are not closing your spoiler tags properly, you're missing the open bracket in the closing tag...

[  /  spoiler  ]
^
missing

thats strange as I do test that the spolier is working & apply the spoiler by selecting all the text. must have happened if I edit or add to the text. sorry about that.

Re: Stargirl [Action, Sci-Fi]

+ show spoiler

Well, would you look at that.  They both knew who each other was after all, as I suspected they would, and nobody here commented. roll

A rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle...

Re: Stargirl [Action, Sci-Fi]

graybags wrote:
+ show spoiler

Well, would you look at that.  They both knew who each other was after all, as I suspected they would, and nobody here commented. roll


Yep finally a fresh take on the old spiel "superhero can't get recognized inspite of the slightest/silliest disguise".

http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=Watchlist&kk=276008292d78a1f619f8bbc10840767b

Re: Stargirl [Action, Sci-Fi]

Yay. smile

And some good news (and slightly bad news at the same time):

DC's Stargirl Renewed for Season 2, Which Will Be Exclusive to The CW
("there are no plans for the second season to stream on DC Universe")
https://tvline.com/2020/07/06/dcs-starg … e-cw-only/