Topic: War of the Worlds (2019) [Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi]

https://next-episode.net/war-of-the-worlds-2019
Watchlists: 1423

https://static.next-episode.net/tv-shows-images/huge/war-of-the-worlds-2019.jpg

Set in contemporary Europe, the War of the Worlds follows the pockets of humanity left on earth following an apocalyptic extra-terrestrial strike.

I decided I'd watch this (Canal+/FOX production) instead of the BBC's https://next-episode.net/the-war-of-the-worlds because the ratings for this show are better. I was not disappointed, it was quite good! The show's (changing) pace reminded me of https://next-episode.net/see - about as many people, but more cities and less nature... and with aliens. wink

From some IMDb review:

Like I said, this show suffers from 1 debatable flaw and that is its name. If it was named anything else, it'd be great, but when the director chooses to name the show War of the Worlds, certain demands have to be met to please the audience and I understand that. This show does not fulfill demands of the book fans, but as its own production, the series makes for a decent story about survival and human character. I would definitely recommend u to watch it, but do not expect a faithful adaptation.

Spoiler

Could someone please explain the fetus/baby arch and the 'man in the machine' at the end? cool

Re: War of the Worlds (2019) [Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi]

lighton wrote:

I decided I'd watch this (Canal+/FOX production) instead of the BBC's https://next-episode.net/the-war-of-the-worlds because the ratings for this show are better. I was not disappointed, it was quite good!

I thought it was the better of the two as well. It was a chore for me to watch initially because there were no subs for the foreign-speaking parts at the time when I decided to watch it. By the fourth episode, it made no sense for me to continue. I had to dig around some and finally found a decent subrip to match. The dangerous parts of this series reminded me of Metalhead; for those that watched this and the Black Mirror episode, you know what I'm referring to. I gotta give props to writer Howard Overman, and directors Gilles Coulier, Richard Clark, and the rest of the crew. An interesting take on the subject matter that ended up being quite good IMHO.

As for the BBC version, this review runs parallel with my thoughts on the show.

https://next-episode.net/img/ne-link.png
https://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=9c3d70de238ebfb2f7ddda60d4ab6e5e
https://signavatar.com/40753_v.gif
https://signavatar.com/40753_s.gif

Re: War of the Worlds (2019) [Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi]

Same for me, although I am not unfamiliar with french, I could not keep up and had to abandon the show at the time. So make sure you have your subs!

Re: War of the Worlds (2019) [Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi]

scorpius074 wrote:
lighton wrote:

I decided I'd watch this (Canal+/FOX production) instead of the BBC's https://next-episode.net/the-war-of-the-worlds because the ratings for this show are better. I was not disappointed, it was quite good!

[...]
The dangerous parts of this series reminded me of Metalhead; for those that watched this and the Black Mirror episode, you know what I'm referring to. [...]

As for the BBC version, this review runs parallel with my thoughts on the show.

Yeah, Boston Dynamics (and their dogs) came to mind immediately! big_smile

The review: when I read that "the aliens are mostly absent and the show leans heavily into Downton Abbey-style shenanigans instead, complete with the period detail one might expect from a BBC costume drama" and "Unfortunately, the show lacks polish in other key areas", I'm happy that I skipped the BBC version. smile

5 (edited by lighton 2019-12-28 10:24:27)

Re: War of the Worlds (2019) [Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi]

Well I have two more episodes to watch and I have to say, even though not to the HG Wells book, this is far better than the BBC adaptation.

Lighton I will try and answer your spoiler when I have watched it all.

And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes....

6 (edited by lighton 2019-12-28 10:27:49)

Re: War of the Worlds (2019) [Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi]

davejo90 wrote:

Lighton I will try and answer your spoiler when I have watched it all.

Cool, looking forward to that. And please use spoiler tags when you do. smile

P.S.: I edited your post. Please only quote as much text as needed, and (probably) never fully quote big posts like my first post in this thread. cool

7 (edited by davejo90 2019-12-28 15:03:01)

Re: War of the Worlds (2019) [Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi]

lighton wrote:
davejo90 wrote:

Lighton I will try and answer your spoiler when I have watched it all.

Cool, looking forward to that. And please use spoiler tags when you do. smile

P.S.: I edited your post. Please only quote as much text as needed, and (probably) never fully quote big posts like my first post in this thread. cool

Spoiler

OK so I think the aliens have been trying to create/clone humans, hence the man in the ship at the end. It's possbile that they have not perfected the process and require the babies to show the way that humans develope, then once they have done that they can imprint their minds on the clones. What I don't understand is what Sasha and the Emily's visions have to do with it all, unless they are from a previous visit to earth, both of them are the same age so maybe that's it.

It's worth noting that in my reading about the show "work began on Season 2 in Oct 2019"

And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes....

Re: War of the Worlds (2019) [Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi]

davejo90 wrote:

It's worth noting that in my reading about the show "work began on Season 2 in Oct 2019"

Ah, great! smile I've researched that a bit and it sounds like that was insider information - waiting for official confirmation now!

And thanks for your thoughts. smile

9 (edited by jildert 2020-01-05 10:20:08)

Re: War of the Worlds (2019) [Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi]

Really liked the show. Binge watched the whole season ;-)

Will there be a 2nd season? Because the status here on next -episode says canceled / ended.  But couldn't find any info on it. Other then, that work on a 2nd season had started in October 2019.

Re: War of the Worlds (2019) [Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi]

jildert wrote:

Will there be a 2nd season? Because the status here on next -episode says canceled / ended.  But couldn't find any info on it. Other then, that work on a 2nd season had started in October 2019.

We are waiting for official confirmation. smile

Re: War of the Worlds (2019) [Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi]

going to be a little pissed if no s2 …

Re: War of the Worlds (2019) [Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi]

https://deadline.com/2020/01/war-of-the … 202823319/

This sounds great:

EXCLUSIVE: Fox Networks Group and France’s Canal+ are set to renew their original drama War Of The Worlds for a second season.

Deadline understands that preparation is already well underway for Season 2, which is set to go into production in the UK in spring this year. Producer Urban Myth Films has also set up a company, named WOTW2, to house the production.

...but they don't want to make it official just yet:

A Canal+ spokeswoman said the group was “very happy with Season 1,” but added that a decision on Season 2 is yet to be made and “talks between partners are ongoing.”

Re: War of the Worlds (2019) [Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi]

That's good news if they do go ahead with it...a few unanswered question in S1

And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes....

Re: War of the Worlds (2019) [Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi]

According to http://www.cancelledscifi.com/2020/02/1 … -and-more/ the show has been renewed! I couldn't find anything official - if you see anything, please post it.

Re: War of the Worlds (2019) [Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi]

lighton wrote:

According to http://www.cancelledscifi.com/2020/02/1 … -and-more/ the show has been renewed! I couldn't find anything official - if you see anything, please post it.

WOTW's viewership in Europe will indeed dictate its fate, but maybe they also want to see how the show fares stateside before announcing anything over the bullhorn? The series premiered in the U.S. on February 16th, and it's scheduled to be broadcast in the UK on March 5th, 2020. WOTW2's official S2 announcement might just simply come in the form of a release date.

https://next-episode.net/img/ne-link.png
https://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=9c3d70de238ebfb2f7ddda60d4ab6e5e
https://signavatar.com/40753_v.gif
https://signavatar.com/40753_s.gif

Re: War of the Worlds (2019) [Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi]

scorpius074 wrote:

WOTW's viewership in Europe will indeed dictate its fate, but maybe they also want to see how the show fares stateside before announcing anything over the bullhorn? The series premiered in the U.S. on February 16th, and it's scheduled to be broadcast in the UK on March 5th, 2020. WOTW2's official S2 announcement might just simply come in the form of a release date.

Oh yeah, that might be. smile

17 (edited by TheFizza 2020-02-27 04:59:31)

Re: War of the Worlds (2019) [Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi]

So I watched the other The War of The Worlds, with Robert Carlyle & Eleanor (Demelza) Tomlinson, and that was okay-ish... if completely forgettable. THIS, however, was probably one of the WORST THINGS I'VE SEEN IN A LONG TIME! Though not nearly as bad as the And Then There Were None mini-series of a few years back... which is no great feat, to be sure.

BTW I work with the blind, and I have to say it's also kind of offensive... still, at least Gabriel Byrne is working ;D

https://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=fe18e3ede310c4d0ddb3af64211e19ec

Re: War of the Worlds (2019) [Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi]

TheFizza wrote:

So I watched the other The War of The Worlds, with Robert Carlyle & Eleanor (Demelza) Tomlinson, and that was okay-ish... if completely forgettable. THIS, however, was probably one of the WORST THINGS I'VE SEEN IN A LONG TIME! Though not nearly as bad as the And Then There Were None mini-series of a few years back... which is no great feat, to be sure.

BTW I work with the blind, and I have to say it's also kind of offensive... still, at least Gabriel Byrne is working ;D

Wow, interesting how much less you appreciated it. smile

What exactly was kind of offensive?

19 (edited by TheFizza 2020-02-28 06:45:07)

Re: War of the Worlds (2019) [Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi]

lighton wrote:

Wow, interesting how much less you appreciated it. smile

What exactly was kind of offensive?

Well the way they treated blindness - I know TV/Movie blindness has almost never been represented well (don't get me started on that CW show from last year... gurrr). For instance almost no one who is blind is 100% blind. They usually have some visual acuity. Which, of course, for dramas sake is usually not what happens in media and can almost be forgiven but here they used it as if it were a superpower. That is IN NO WAY how it works.

The blind character in this series is not DAREDEVIL!

And I appreciate that it is a common misconception, that when you lose one sense others increase. But that is absolutely not the case. What happens is, you can focus on the other senses more because you have less stimulus to shade your impressions. But you can't hear something that no one else can and most especially in the environments in which this character was in.

While the blind community is used to being misrepresented, this was more than just that: "it was kind of offensive."

It was not at all the only reason I didn't like this War of the Worlds, there were many reasons... indeed too many to name, but this did stick in my craw sad

https://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=fe18e3ede310c4d0ddb3af64211e19ec

Re: War of the Worlds (2019) [Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi]

Well we watched both the BBC and the Fox/C+ offerings. BOTH WERE DIRE!

Re: War of the Worlds (2019) [Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi]

Put simply... I enjoyed both the BBC and the other I think (with blind girl) was also aired in France, was it  ?
Anyhow, I enjoyed both.

Re: War of the Worlds (2019) [Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi]

TheFizza: Thanks for sharing! I guess it's always hard to show everything perfectly... other minorities probably feel the same. smile

Clumpco wrote:

Well we watched both the BBC and the Fox/C+ offerings. BOTH WERE DIRE!

Sorry to hear that... I hope other shows will work better for you. smile

Re: War of the Worlds (2019) [Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi]

The site just told me:

> War of the Worlds (2019) is now canceled/ended.

But I can't find anything official... Who knows more?

Re: War of the Worlds (2019) [Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi]

lighton wrote:

The site just told me:

> War of the Worlds (2019) is now canceled/ended.

But I can't find anything official... Who knows more?

It may have come from TVMaze or such, have you checked there?

DRM "manages access" in the same way that Prison "manages freedom".
http://xkcd.com/488/

Re: War of the Worlds (2019) [Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi]

Wizard wrote:
lighton wrote:

The site just told me:

> War of the Worlds (2019) is now canceled/ended.

But I can't find anything official... Who knows more?

It may have come from TVMaze or such, have you checked there?

Yes, the status change must have been coming from https://www.tvmaze.com/shows/37808/war-of-the-worlds - but that page only says "Status: Ended", and https://www.tvmaze.com/shows/37808/war- … orlds/news is empty... so no idea where the "ended" info came from.