Topic: "Hot and Active TV shows" forum

I think the "Hot and Active" list for shows could do with an update.

It currently contains 22 shows of which 12 are gone:

24
Arrested Development
The Big Bang Theory
Bones
Community
Game of Thrones
Hannibal
Justified
Parks and Recreation
Person of Interest
Sleepy Hollow
The Vampire Diaries

and most of the others are on their last legs!

Re: "Hot and Active TV shows" forum

You're right.

I moved the ended shows to their respective section, but it seems this whole organization is a bit outdated at this point (not what most shows do not have their own forum, rather a dedicated thread).

I wonder if we should rename the "Cancelled and Ended TV Shows" to something like "TV Show Specific" and move all from "Hot and Active TV Shows" in there as well.

What do you guys think?

http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=5ba0ff0eba240dd51b6bf07fff0abb0e

Re: "Hot and Active TV shows" forum

santah wrote:

I wonder if we should rename the "Cancelled and Ended TV Shows" to something like "TV Show Specific" and move all from "Hot and Active TV Shows" in there as well.

Sounds like a solid plan to me. I definitely agree with the idea of placing all the individual show forums alphabetically into one section and keeping it updated every so often with new, viable additions. Maybe just simply rename the section to "TV Shows."

https://next-episode.net/img/ne-link.png
https://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=9c3d70de238ebfb2f7ddda60d4ab6e5e
https://sig.grumpybumpers.com/host/4815162342.gif
https://widgets.trakt.tv/users/1052a0e024e050a140d1f4b950dcc292/watched/thin@1x.jpg

Re: "Hot and Active TV shows" forum

Done!

http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=5ba0ff0eba240dd51b6bf07fff0abb0e

Re: "Hot and Active TV shows" forum

Hi guys!
I just created a new topic, but found this topic afterwards, so I will ask my question here instead:

So, I just watched the new season of Veronica Mars and wanted to discuss it. I made a post in the dedicated forum thread. Since the thread is far down on the main forum page, it feels like people does not scroll down to see new posts down there.
In the "TV Show Discussions" thread, newly commented topics will go to the top of the thread.

So my question is:
How do people feel about moving all the "TV Shows" into "TV Show Discussions" and removing the whole "TV Shows" part of the forum?
The downside is that you can't create new topics about one show, but I don't think that matters to much. Looking through the "TV Shows" section, it isn't very frequently used anyways.

Re: "Hot and Active TV shows" forum

+1

Re: "Hot and Active TV shows" forum

Now, on one hand - this makes perfect sense and I agree.

On the other - moving all those older posts into the fairly active "TV Show Discussions" will effectively bury them and will make them next to impossible to find.

It'll also cause issues where:

a) there will now be multiple threads per show in TV Show Discussions
b) the "forum" link will have to be removed for shows with multiple topics per show (for example Veronica Mars: https://next-episode.net/veronica-mars - the dedicated forum currently has 18 threads)

Obviously there isn't a perfect solution for this, but here is what I suggest:

1) we keep the old forums as they are
2) on a per case basis, we move 1 topic from a dedicated show forum to "TV Show Discussions" (tagging it "moved" in its original place) - as I did just now with the "Season Four Trailer Released by Hulu" topic.

Let me know what you guys think!

http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=5ba0ff0eba240dd51b6bf07fff0abb0e

Re: "Hot and Active TV shows" forum

I see the issue with multiple topics, and I like what you did with the new VM-topic.

Is it possible to create a thread within a thread? Could we create a new thread called something like "Former TV Shows Thread" with the description "Only used to read old discussions, for new discussions use the TV Show Discussions thread", and then move all of the TV Shows into that thread? Or something like that.
I think that part of the problem is that the main forum page has to many threads. If we do this, then the "Not TV Related" threads might be used a bit more as well.


Also, I hope that Scorpius074 will not mind, but I edited the topic name and main post to fit better in that thread.

Re: "Hot and Active TV shows" forum

santah wrote:

Let me know what you guys think!

Something else that might help to improve the current situation is to update the "Latest topics from the forums" section on the main page: why not list the last 20 topics there? That benefits less popular posts/threads and is especially helpful when reply notifications get lost.

Re: "Hot and Active TV shows" forum

Mxyzptlk wrote:

I see the issue with multiple topics, and I like what you did with the new VM-topic.

Is it possible to create a thread within a thread? Could we create a new thread called something like "Former TV Shows Thread" with the description "Only used to read old discussions, for new discussions use the TV Show Discussions thread", and then move all of the TV Shows into that thread? Or something like that.
I think that part of the problem is that the main forum page has to many threads. If we do this, then the "Not TV Related" threads might be used a bit more as well.


Also, I hope that Scorpius074 will not mind, but I edited the topic name and main post to fit better in that thread.

Could we just lock the whole old thread thus making it read only?

Also where've you been?

...where did I put that rat's ass I could give?

Daemons are benevolent or benign nature spirits, beings of the same nature as both mortals and gods, similar to ghosts, chthonic heroes, spirit guides, forces of nature or the gods themselves.

11 (edited by scorpius074 2019-07-24 21:53:13)

Re: "Hot and Active TV shows" forum

Mxyzptlk wrote:

Also, I hope that Scorpius074 will not mind, but I edited the topic name and main post to fit better in that thread.

Cool, I like it! smile

lighton wrote:

Something else that might help to improve the current situation is to update the "Latest topics from the forums" section on the main page: why not list the last 20 topics there? That benefits less popular posts/threads and is especially helpful when reply notifications get lost.

+1

https://next-episode.net/img/ne-link.png
https://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=9c3d70de238ebfb2f7ddda60d4ab6e5e
https://sig.grumpybumpers.com/host/4815162342.gif
https://widgets.trakt.tv/users/1052a0e024e050a140d1f4b950dcc292/watched/thin@1x.jpg

Re: "Hot and Active TV shows" forum

Daemonius wrote:
Mxyzptlk wrote:

I see the issue with multiple topics, and I like what you did with the new VM-topic.

Is it possible to create a thread within a thread? Could we create a new thread called something like "Former TV Shows Thread" with the description "Only used to read old discussions, for new discussions use the TV Show Discussions thread", and then move all of the TV Shows into that thread? Or something like that.
I think that part of the problem is that the main forum page has to many threads. If we do this, then the "Not TV Related" threads might be used a bit more as well.


Also, I hope that Scorpius074 will not mind, but I edited the topic name and main post to fit better in that thread.

Could we just lock the whole old thread thus making it read only?

Also where've you been?

Yes, something like that could work!

Oh, I'm always around, just lurking wink

Re: "Hot and Active TV shows" forum

scorpius074 wrote:
lighton wrote:

Something else that might help to improve the current situation is to update the "Latest topics from the forums" section on the main page: why not list the last 20 topics there? That benefits less popular posts/threads and is especially helpful when reply notifications get lost.

+1

santah? smile

Re: "Hot and Active TV shows" forum

Well, why not 50? 100? smile

Your point is valid - 10 more posts will give more exposure to older threads, but it'll be a bit more overwhelming, choice wise and it'll make the latest forum posts the largest section on the homepage, which I don't think is proportional or fair.

The 10th forum post right now is about 3 days old.

I wonder if another little change may help even more - updating the main menu forum link from:

https://forum.next-episode.net/

to

https://forum.next-episode.net/search.p … n=show_new

The second one is the one I have bookmarked and always use, but it only recently crossed my mind that that may not be the case with everyone.

Just FYI for anyone who haven't used that - the second link only shows the newest threads on the forum since your last visit.

Let me know what you think guys!

http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=5ba0ff0eba240dd51b6bf07fff0abb0e

15 (edited by lighton 2019-07-27 08:58:33)

Re: "Hot and Active TV shows" forum

I have to think about your idea. But if you want to keep it at ten posts on the main page, how about adding an "expand" or "more" button, which will then show you the last 25 posts?

16 (edited by lighton 2019-07-27 08:55:51)

Re: "Hot and Active TV shows" forum

santah wrote:

I wonder if another little change may help even more - updating the main menu forum link from:

https://forum.next-episode.net/

to

https://forum.next-episode.net/search.p … n=show_new

It doesn't fully replace the purpose of the "last xx posts" view because it won't give you the opportunity to quickly spot posts where you didn't receive a reply notifications that happened before your last visit. Your last visit may have happened from mobile, just quickly checking a thread.

How about changing the main menu forum link from "Forums" to "Forums | (new)", having both the links you mentioned available there? (With a fitting mouseover info for the "(new)" part of course.)

Re: "Hot and Active TV shows" forum

lighton wrote:

It doesn't fully replace the purpose of the "last xx posts" view because it won't give you the opportunity to quickly spot posts where you didn't receive a reply notifications that happened before your last visit. Your last visit may have happened from mobile, just quickly checking a thread.

I didn't understand most of it.

Email notifications or not, checking on mobile or desktop - this view shows the new stuff since your last visit, straight up.

I don't understand how it doesn't replace the email notifications.

I probably won't add both links in the main menu, but I'll figure out a way to make the new posts link more prominent.

Also, I have a plan (which I'll greatly regret, I'm sure) to upgrade our forum software to the latest available version (which will make it responsive so it should look/work great on mobile).

That done, I'll add the forum links on the homepage in the mobile version of the site as well (currently, they're hidden for mobile users).

The problem with upgrading our forum software (other than many things that can come up unexpectedly) is that we've done many custom things to it through the years (including integrating it with the website) and there will be a transitional period where I'll have to fix stuff as we figure what is broken/forgotten and how it worked before smile

http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=5ba0ff0eba240dd51b6bf07fff0abb0e

Re: "Hot and Active TV shows" forum

santah wrote:
lighton wrote:

[Just showing new posts] doesn't fully replace the purpose of the "last xx posts" view [on the main page] because it won't give you the opportunity to quickly spot posts where you didn't receive a reply notifications that happened before your last visit. Your last visit may have happened from mobile, just quickly checking a thread.

I didn't understand most of it.

Email notifications or not, checking on mobile or desktop - this view shows the new stuff since your last visit, straight up.

I don't understand how it doesn't replace the email notifications.

Ok, maybe I misunderstood something. Will the "Topics with new posts" page keep showing those topics until opened? Even if you then visit the forums without opening them?

santah wrote:

Also, I have a plan (which I'll greatly regret, I'm sure) to upgrade our forum software to the latest available version (which will make it responsive so it should look/work great on mobile).

That done, I'll add the forum links on the homepage in the mobile version of the site as well (currently, they're hidden for mobile users).

The problem with upgrading our forum software (other than many things that can come up unexpectedly) is that we've done many custom things to it through the years (including integrating it with the website) and there will be a transitional period where I'll have to fix stuff as we figure what is broken/forgotten and how it worked before smile

Hehe... hopefully not too many things will break. wink Yay @ forum links for mobile users! smile

lighton wrote:

I have to think about your idea. But if you want to keep it at ten posts on the main page, how about adding an "expand" or "more" button, which will then show you the last 25 posts?

Please comment. smile

Re: "Hot and Active TV shows" forum

lighton wrote:

Ok, maybe I misunderstood something. Will the "Topics with new posts" page keep showing those topics until opened? Even if you then visit the forums without opening them?

No, it will not keep showing them (though it'll keep showing them for a short time, say 3-5 minutes or so).

New posts since your last visit to the forum.

lighton wrote:

how about adding an "expand" or "more" button

Possible. Let's first see how the upgrade will go.

http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=5ba0ff0eba240dd51b6bf07fff0abb0e

Re: "Hot and Active TV shows" forum

santah wrote:
lighton wrote:

Ok, maybe I misunderstood something. Will the "Topics with new posts" page keep showing those topics until opened? Even if you then visit the forums without opening them?

No, it will not keep showing them (though it'll keep showing them for a short time, say 3-5 minutes or so).

New posts since your last visit to the forum.

Ok, then maybe I didn't misunderstand. So if x hours after my last visit (timestamp 1) I visit one thread from mobile (timestamp 2), and visit the forums again x hours after that from my PC (timestamp 3), "Topics with new posts" will only show me posts later than timestamp 2. Right?

If that is the case, I need the "last xx posts" view [on the main page] to make sure I did see all replies. (At least two reply notifications mails didn't arrive today.)

Re: "Hot and Active TV shows" forum

You surely meant to say "will only show me posts later than timestamp 3", right?

http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=5ba0ff0eba240dd51b6bf07fff0abb0e

Re: "Hot and Active TV shows" forum

No. I visit at timestamp 3, so I really meant posts later than timestamp 2. Confusing... smile

Re: "Hot and Active TV shows" forum

Ok then yes.

If timestamp 3 is at the time of the current visit to the link, it'll show newer stuff since timestamp 2.

http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=5ba0ff0eba240dd51b6bf07fff0abb0e

Re: "Hot and Active TV shows" forum

Ok. Thanks in advance for adding an "expand" or "more" button! big_smile