Topic: Whiskey!

Boardwalk Empire is a new show for me. As I watched the character drinking whiskey, I wondered what the actors are actually drinking.  I imagine juice is used when the characters in a TV show or movie drink wine. What are they actually drinking in place of whiskey? Water with food coloring? What about smoking? I wouldn't expect an actor to be forced to smoke regular cigarettes. If they do smoke, are cigarettes genuine? If they are non-smokers, how is that handled?  In addition to Boardwalk Empire, Mad Men is an example of characters who drink and smoke throughout so many episodes.

Re: Whiskey!

Whiskey is tea.

In X-Files, the actor portraying The Cigarrette Smoking Man had quit smoking years before filming. 1st season he smoked real cigarrettes, after he got addicted to those again they switched to herbal cigarrettes.

...where did I put that rat's ass I could give?

Daemons are benevolent or benign nature spirits, beings of the same nature as both mortals and gods, similar to ghosts, chthonic heroes, spirit guides, forces of nature or the gods themselves.

Re: Whiskey!

Yes, actors almost never drink alcoholic beverages on screen, if only because there are usually multiple takes of a scene and the actors would soon be drunk and unable to do much acting if they were using real booze.

4 (edited by graybags 2013-11-08 10:30:21)

Re: Whiskey!

AnneLee wrote:

Boardwalk Empire is a new show for me. As I watched the character drinking whiskey, I wondered what the actors are actually drinking.  I imagine juice is used when the characters in a TV show or movie drink wine. What are they actually drinking in place of whiskey? Water with food coloring? What about smoking? I wouldn't expect an actor to be forced to smoke regular cigarettes. If they do smoke, are cigarettes genuine? If they are non-smokers, how is that handled?  In addition to Boardwalk Empire, Mad Men is an example of characters who drink and smoke throughout so many episodes.

As far as I know, whiskey is normally just cold tea.  And I remember reading somewhere that they use herbal cigarettes in Mad Men.

You’ve got to help me! I’m a victim of society!

Re: Whiskey!

graybags wrote:

As far as I know, whiskey is normally just cold tea.  And I remember reading somewhere that they use herbal cigarettes in Mad Men.

Daemonius wrote:

Whiskey is tea.

In X-Files, the actor portraying The Cigarrette Smoking Man had quit smoking years before filming. 1st season he smoked real cigarrettes, after he got addicted to those again they switched to herbal cigarrettes.

big_smile

...where did I put that rat's ass I could give?

Daemons are benevolent or benign nature spirits, beings of the same nature as both mortals and gods, similar to ghosts, chthonic heroes, spirit guides, forces of nature or the gods themselves.

Re: Whiskey!

Suasor wrote:

Yes, actors almost never drink alcoholic beverages on screen,...

I doubt that Larry Hagman had tea in his cup ;-)