Topic: Game of Thrones S1 Question... need help (may contain spoilers)

I'm re-watching season 1 with a buddy who hasn't seen it yet and he brought up 2 questions that I just never thought of and don't know for sure so I'm here for clarification.

1) The King before Robert, I think they called him the Mad King, was he the Targaryen King? (father of Daenerys and Viserys) and that's why Viserys is trying to get back to King's Landing? if not, who was the Targaryen King?

2) Jaime Lannister killed the previous King, hence the Name Kingslayer, while his father Tywin Lannister was the King's Hand. The Lannister's seem like a royal family but Robert Baratheon was named King, why?

any clarification would be much appreciated. thanks

(Also, please avoid spoilers from anything after Season 2/Book 2)

Re: Game of Thrones S1 Question... need help (may contain spoilers)

1. Yes.
2. can't remember

http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/OrlandoNEP.png

fathead2k wrote:

I'm re-watching season 1 with a buddy who hasn't seen it yet and he brought up 2 questions that I just never thought of and don't know for sure so I'm here for clarification.

1) The King before Robert, I think they called him the Mad King, was he the Targaryen King? (father of Daenerys and Viserys) and that's why Viserys is trying to get back to King's Landing? if not, who was the Targaryen King?

2) Jaime Lannister killed the previous King, hence the Name Kingslayer, while his father Tywin Lannister was the King's Hand. The Lannister's seem like a royal family but Robert Baratheon was named King, why?

any clarification would be much appreciated. thanks

(Also, please avoid spoilers from anything after Season 2/Book 2)

1) Yes, the Mad King Aerys Targaryen was the king before Robert, and the father of Viserys and Daenerys.

2) This is a very good question, which I didn't know the answer to. I just thought he became king because he started the rebellion over Lyanna. Accordin to A wiki of Ice and Fire, he claims the throne on the grounds of "his grandmother being Rhaelle Targaryen, daughter of King Aegon V, thus giving him a much stronger claim to the throne than the Arryns, Tullys or Starks"

Not just the Spanish maine my love. The entire ocean. The entire world!

http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=7b21315a0c2bce4fa4716b05990b6ff0

2. Ned Stark forced Jaime off the throne and Robert assumed it. Ned was/is in Robert's service.

toidol wrote:

2. Ned Stark forced Jaime off the throne and Robert assumed it. Ned was/is in Robert's service.

So Jaime took the throne after he killed the King for a short time?

and why wasn't Jaime ever punished for Killing a king? I assume that would have been a big deal

2. As the books move along you get more and more information about this. The rebellion was started after the Mad King decided it would be fun to burn Ned Starks Brother and Alyanna alive at court. The big turning point for that war seem to have been at the end when Tywin Lannister decided to change sides and that left the Targaryens with a much smaller army.

The Mad King didnt want to give up and he had planned to burn down Kings Landing. If you remember the green fire thingies most of those jars wasnt freshly made but most of them was from the Mad King who had left them all over Kings Landing back in the day. It was when he wanted to activate that trap and kill everyone including the invading armies that Jamie Lannister decided to take action and kill the king. He has never told this to anyone so noone knows but they assume he betrayed the king as his father Tywin had changed sides. Jamie carries this secret with him knowing he saved all those people and that no matter what he says he will always be Kingslayer in the eyes of others.

Ned Stark was the first to enter the Throne Room but he didnt claim the throne. If you remember during the first season Robert always tells Ned that Ned should have been king. Ned was actually the first choice but as he was the last Stark left alive at that time (Robb might have been born around this time but a newly born baby doesnt count i guess) and Ned saw it as important that the thousand year long tradition of there always being a Stark at Winterfell be kept alive he decided that his ancestral claim to Winterfell was more important and declined the throne.

With Ned Stark out of contention Robert was made king as he and Ned had led the rebellion together. As the Lannisters just changed sides at the end they were never up for claiming the throne. They were awarded the royal marriage instead as Cersei got to marry Robert. From what i understand Robert didnt trust Tywin at all and didnt want him to be made Hand again.

drizzel wrote:

2. As the books move along you get more and more information about this. The rebellion was started after the Mad King decided it would be fun to burn Ned Starks Brother and Alyanna alive at court. The big turning point for that war seem to have been at the end when Tywin Lannister decided to change sides and that left the Targaryens with a much smaller army.

The Mad King didnt want to give up and he had planned to burn down Kings Landing. If you remember the green fire thingies most of those jars wasnt freshly made but most of them was from the Mad King who had left them all over Kings Landing back in the day. It was when he wanted to activate that trap and kill everyone including the invading armies that Jamie Lannister decided to take action and kill the king. He has never told this to anyone so noone knows but they assume he betrayed the king as his father Tywin had changed sides. Jamie carries this secret with him knowing he saved all those people and that no matter what he says he will always be Kingslayer in the eyes of others.

Ned Stark was the first to enter the Throne Room but he didnt claim the throne. If you remember during the first season Robert always tells Ned that Ned should have been king. Ned was actually the first choice but as he was the last Stark left alive at that time (Robb might have been born around this time but a newly born baby doesnt count i guess) and Ned saw it as important that the thousand year long tradition of there always being a Stark at Winterfell be kept alive he decided that his ancestral claim to Winterfell was more important and declined the throne.

With Ned Stark out of contention Robert was made king as he and Ned had led the rebellion together. As the Lannisters just changed sides at the end they were never up for claiming the throne. They were awarded the royal marriage instead as Cersei got to marry Robert. From what i understand Robert didnt trust Tywin at all and didnt want him to be made Hand again.

Thanks drizzel, this clears up alot  smile

Do you remember which book all of this is revealed?

Well most of it is explained in the first and second book. The rebellion was started by Robert and he claimed the throne mostly for those reasons. and as Vana pointed in her post. wiki-s are usually kinda true tongue

"Avenge Me."
"Judgment Day is inevitable."

it's all made pretty clear in the 3rd book which i finished recently ... and the third book is full of stuff you'll hate and love.

poncherello wrote:

it's all made pretty clear in the 3rd book which i finished recently ... and the third book is full of stuff you'll hate and love.

Thanks  smile

fathead2k wrote:
poncherello wrote:

Thanks  smile

i can confirm it too now tongue

a thought just came to me. Since Jamie was a King's guard (and maybe they were not allowed to become kings), maybe that was the reason Ned forced him off the throne. Not to mention he was a Lannister. Just speculating.

"Avenge Me."

+ show spoiler
drizzel wrote:

Just a small correction, Lyanna was abducted by Rhaegar Targaryen, which led Neds Father and Brother to go to court to get her back. The Mad King was convinced they wanted to kill him they were arrested. Since the Starks requested a Trial by Combat the Mad King choose Fire as his Champion. Rickard Neds Father was burned alive and Brandon Neds Brother had to watch with a noose around his neck. Trying to rescue his father he strangled himself.

I got a vague memory of the Hound telling Sansa about the part at court.
The information about Lyanna comes mostly from Neds time in the dungeons in Kings Landing if I remeber it correctly.
I really read the books again...

eee... i am pretty sure this was told by Jamie Lannister to Brianne. Jamie got pissed off Brianne for calling him the kingslayer all the time, and then he told the truth.

"Avenge Me."

See I need to read them again.

GodZionu wrote:

eee... i am pretty sure this was told by Jamie Lannister to Brianne. Jamie got pissed off Brianne for calling him the kingslayer all the time, and then he told the truth.

Duro wrote:

no problems. some books are meant to be re-read over and over again, because of their awesomeness.

"Avenge Me."

16 (edited by peter 2014-08-08 12:27:24)

Duro wrote:

Just a small correction, Lyanna was abducted by Rhaegar Targaryen

Remember, this is how Robert saw things, Robert who was in love with Lyanna, not necessarily how it actually happened.

GodZionu wrote:

Ned forced him off the throne

He didn't force him off the thone. He sat there for a while, then smiled and left.

Edit: We learn in the first book that before the rebellion, we had Cat Tully to marry Brandon Stark (Neds brother), Ned in love with Ashara Dayne, Rhaegar in love with both Elia Martell and Lyanna Stark, Robert in love with any girl who was near him and especially Lyanna, Littlefinger in love with Cat, Lysa in love with Littlefinger, and Cersei was to marry Rhaegar.
Instead:
Robert killed Rhaegar and married Cersei, Aerys II "The Mad king" killed Brandon (and Rickard) Stark and Cat married Ned, Lyanna died in a bed of blood and Ashara Dayne killed herself.

As Aemon said: "What is honor compared to a woman's love? What is duty against the feel of a newborn son in your arms...or the memory of a brothers smile? Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy."

Now come the interesting parts, the things hinted at in the first book between the lines. Ask yourself, who is opposing this great tragedy? Who is trying to make things better? And how? Think about it.

17 (edited by Quinlan 2014-08-09 01:40:32)

Are you on a quest to revive 2 years old threads ? tongue (Second one you up)

Myka : You slept with her didn't you ?
Pete : Well... you... you told me to investigate ok ? So... she's unarmed.

2 years or near as make no matter, give me time to break fast and make water and mayhaps i can revive many and more threads wink

19 (edited by Quinlan 2014-08-09 06:19:53)

peter wrote:

2 years or near as make no matter, give me time to break fast and make water and mayhaps i can revive many and more threads wink

Not interested. (looks harsher that it is).

Oh lol I don't really care what you think, I just enjoy discussing asoiaf wink by myself if i have to

big_smile

They Call Me The "Jax Lovah!" Machine!
http://i.imgur.com/TMcgaKU.jpg

peter wrote:

Oh lol I don't really care what you think, I just enjoy discussing asoiaf wink by myself if i have to

Whatever rocks your boat. wink

23 (edited by peter 2014-08-10 21:35:14)

Under the sea, the boats birth rocks and birds have scale like fish, the fish take wind, and dark flames rise in bubbles.
I know, I know.