1 (edited by lighton 2019-07-21 12:32:21)

Topic: His Dark Materials (Adventure, Fantasy, Drama, Family)

https://next-episode.net/his-dark-materials
Watchlists: 1910

Damn! I just watched the new trailer at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yuIE1OYnVI and my expectations easily quadrupled! cool

HBO and BBC are behind it, I read it's supposed to be(come) the next Game Of Thrones.

No start date yet, but season 2 is already ordered. smile

https://static.next-episode.net/tv-shows-images/huge/his-dark-materials.jpg

This seems to be about the books (that the show is based on):

This is one of the supreme works of imaginative fiction for both children and adults published in the 20th century.

Northern Lights introduces Lyra, an orphan, who lives in a parallel universe in which science, theology and magic are entwined. Lyra's search for a kidnapped friend uncovers a sinister plot involving stolen children, and turns into a quest to understand a mysterious phenomenon called Dust. In The Subtle Knife she is joined on her journey by Will, a boy who possesses a knife that can cut windows between worlds.

As Lyra learns the truth about her parents and her prophesied destiny, the two young people are caught up in a war against celestial powers that ranges across many worlds and leads to a thrilling conclusion in The Amber Spyglass.

2 (edited by HomerS 2019-07-21 14:44:20)

Re: His Dark Materials (Adventure, Fantasy, Drama, Family)

When i first saw this a few days ago, i first thought "meh" just another movie reboot attempt after the failed Nikole Kidman movie The Golden Compass from 2007, but for a TV series, this doesnt look bad at all.

http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=Watchlist&kk=276008292d78a1f619f8bbc10840767b

Re: His Dark Materials (Adventure, Fantasy, Drama, Family)

Kind of distracting to have two people playing major roles in the X-Men franchise play main roles here, isn't it?

Re: His Dark Materials (Adventure, Fantasy, Drama, Family)

some_one wrote:

Kind of distracting to have two people playing major roles in the X-Men franchise play main roles here, isn't it?

I don't mind as long as they don't wear exactly the same clothing. cool

Re: His Dark Materials (Adventure, Fantasy, Drama, Family)

A brand new addition to my watchlist. Thanks! smile

https://next-episode.net/img/ne-link.png
https://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=9c3d70de238ebfb2f7ddda60d4ab6e5e
https://signavatar.com/40753_v.gif
https://signavatar.com/40753_s.gif

Re: His Dark Materials (Adventure, Fantasy, Drama, Family)

His Dark Materials: Season 1 | Official Trailer | HBO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APduGe1eLVI

Looks good! smile

Re: His Dark Materials (Adventure, Fantasy, Drama, Family)

For me the film was always going to be an epic failure. The anti-religious themes attracted me to the novels and it was clear that no mainstream US release would be able to produce anything remotely resembling the novel.

One can hope for a much more interesting adaption with a considerably more secular BBC and HBO behind this.

Re: His Dark Materials (Adventure, Fantasy, Drama, Family)

Interesting perspective, thanks for sharing. And welcome to the forums! smile

Re: His Dark Materials (Adventure, Fantasy, Drama, Family)

Just watched 1x1. Refined story-telling, lovely worldbuilding and the acting was on point. Temporary rating: 9/10!

The show currently has a 8.7 IMDb score while The Golden Compass (2007) [movie] only got 6.1 - the TV show is sooo much better! smile

Re: His Dark Materials (Adventure, Fantasy, Drama, Family)

The first episode was absolutely phenomenal, and felt incredibly faithful to the books. I haven't been this excited for a series in a long time... . . .... A+

Re: His Dark Materials (Adventure, Fantasy, Drama, Family)

I haven't read the books so did not know what to expect. The special effects are excellent for a TV show. It is the story that I found a little confusing I will watch another episode to see if it stays on my watchlist at the moment it is 50/50 maybe not for me as I am one of the older grey haired watchers.

Re: His Dark Materials (Adventure, Fantasy, Drama, Family)

i have read and loved the books (for some reason I never got around to read the 3rd book - ill try to pick it up this weekend)

The first episode was great, although I didnt think some of the acting was so wonderful, especially the Gyptians. Lyra and Azriel were really great... but Roger was a lot smaller and childish than described in the books. Also his acting wasnt wonderful either.

The special effects on the other hand were absolutely incredible!

Brothers! What we do in life...Echoes in Eternity!


http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=9a35ebe93d371275706bdebcafefaa47

Re: His Dark Materials (Adventure, Fantasy, Drama, Family)

colinsp wrote:

It is the story that I found a little confusing

That was nothing compared to https://next-episode.net/carnival-row ! big_smile

colinsp wrote:

I will watch another episode to see if it stays on my watchlist at the moment it is 50/50 maybe not for me as I am one of the older grey haired watchers.

smile Let us know after watching 1x2!

@sentient, nightcrow: Happy to hear they are (rather) faithful to the books. That should draw in a lot of fans and make it more likely many more seasons will follow. smile

Re: His Dark Materials (Adventure, Fantasy, Drama, Family)

I can’t imagine it spanning more than three seasons.
One for each book:

Northern Lights
The Subtle Knife
The Amber Spyglass

Although there is also the more recent Book of Dust and The Secret Commonwealth - but can’t imagine those being part of the show.

Brothers! What we do in life...Echoes in Eternity!


http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=9a35ebe93d371275706bdebcafefaa47

Re: His Dark Materials (Adventure, Fantasy, Drama, Family)

lighton wrote:

That was nothing compared to https://next-episode.net/carnival-row ! big_smile

I didn't have a problem with Carnival Row I enjoyed that and didn't find it confusing at all big_smile

Re: His Dark Materials (Adventure, Fantasy, Drama, Family)

Ugh, I love the books but I've just finished the latest ep of this adaptation and IDK I just feel like they've given away almost all of the suspense... I'm also a bit disappointed in the casting. I wonder how people who don't know the story feel and I'm not saying the production value is bad (except for the lackluster daemons) but it's just not what I was wishing for when I started this series.

Poor Phil first the debacles that was the Sally Lockhart Mysteries & The Golden Compass film... now this. Will no one be able to bing his work to life?!

https://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=fe18e3ede310c4d0ddb3af64211e19ec

Re: His Dark Materials (Adventure, Fantasy, Drama, Family)

I havent seen the latest episode yet - but it seems that they are rushing show.

Like

+ show spoiler

why was will mentioned in episode four!? They should have at least left that until season 2! And revealing that Grumman is John Parry so early on is extremely odd in my eyes!

Albeit, I havent read Amber Spyglass yet (read half of it about a year ago and then lost it - plan on picking it up again soon)

Also, I feel the acting is pretty poor and they really havent brought Mr Coulter to life as she is described in the books.

And whats up with John Faa <facepalm>

Brothers! What we do in life...Echoes in Eternity!


http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&amp;kk=9a35ebe93d371275706bdebcafefaa47

Re: His Dark Materials (Adventure, Fantasy, Drama, Family)

TheFizza wrote:

Poor Phil first the debacles that was the Sally Lockhart Mysteries & The Golden Compass film... now this. Will no one be able to bing his work to life?!

I guess it's always hard to make everyone happy when you bring popular books to the screen. smile I haven't read the source material and enjoy watching the show.

Re: His Dark Materials (Adventure, Fantasy, Drama, Family)

nightcrow wrote:

I havent seen the latest episode yet - but it seems that they are rushing show.

I feel you there... the only reason I can puzzle out as to why they'd rush it, is that they're giving us way more content at this point in the story than the books did so perhaps they have to push the story out faster.

nightcrow wrote:

Like

+ show spoiler

why was will mentioned in episode four!? They should have at least left that until season 2! And revealing that Grumman is John Parry so early on is extremely odd in my eyes!

Yup, I've been really annoyed with seeing elements of the Subtle Knife in not so subtle ways in this adaptation. I really liked how much of the first book we were with Lyra as she solved the mysteries... but my friend who loves the books as much as I do seems to think it part-and-parcel of adaptation for television, so that people won't be confused. But, personally, I'm more interested when I'm trying to figure out what's happening rather than when I know. Like I was totally lost through much of The Expanse and I love that show?!

nightcrow wrote:

And whats up with John Faa <facepalm>

Facepalm indeed...

https://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&amp;kk=fe18e3ede310c4d0ddb3af64211e19ec

20 (edited by TheFizza 2019-12-02 12:21:21)

Re: His Dark Materials (Adventure, Fantasy, Drama, Family)

lighton wrote:
TheFizza wrote:

Poor Phil first the debacles that was the Sally Lockhart Mysteries & The Golden Compass film... now this. Will no one be able to bing his work to life?!

I guess it's always hard to make everyone happy when you bring popular books to the screen. smile I haven't read the source material and enjoy watching the show.

Very true.

  • But to be be fair Billie Piper was a decade too old to play the 16 year old Sally Lockhart (as were pretty much all the actors in that adaptation) and that really made the suspension of disbelief difficult.

  • As for the Golden Compass film, it wasn't all that bad and the cast was incredible.

Anyway, thank you for answering my question. As someone who isn't familiar with the books it's nice to know none of my issues complicate your enjoyment... I probably should just sit back and see how more of it plays out smile

https://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&amp;kk=fe18e3ede310c4d0ddb3af64211e19ec

Re: His Dark Materials (Adventure, Fantasy, Drama, Family)

TheFizza wrote:
nightcrow wrote:

I havent seen the latest episode yet - but it seems that they are rushing show.

I feel you there... the only reason I can puzzle out as to why they'd rush it, is that they're giving us way more content at this point in the story than the books did so perhaps they have to push the story out faster.

nightcrow wrote:

Like

+ show spoiler

why was will mentioned in episode four!? They should have at least left that until season 2! And revealing that Grumman is John Parry so early on is extremely odd in my eyes!

Yup, I've been really annoyed with seeing elements of the Subtle Knife in not so subtle ways in this adaptation. I really liked how much of the first book we were with Lyra as she solved the mysteries... but my friend who loves the books as much as I do seems to think it part-and-parcel of adaptation for television, so that people won't be confused. But, personally, I'm more interested when I'm trying to figure out what's happening rather than when I know. Like I was totally lost through much of The Expanse and I love that show?!

Its strange because they have a perfect script and could have done a season per book without revealing anything from the Subtle Knife - it just doesnt make sense why they would jump to such critical points in

+ show spoiler

Grummans story and ruin it off the bat with one tiny (almost not relevant) scene. Even the parts with Lord Boreal that he can travel through worlds hardly makes sense for season one. Especially since his main role (and death) only really materializes in The Subtle Knife.

nightcrow wrote:

And whats up with John Faa <facepalm>

Facepalm indeed...

Either way, regardless of the fact that the acting is poor and I feel like they are somewhat ruining the story, I wont drop it and its still nice to see it in (almost) live action. I just wonder how much they'll have left for season 2, if it ever gets made.

Have you also noticed how they have even significantly changed the story at some points?

+ show spoiler

like with Coulter asking the alethiometer a question

On a good note though, I love how they have done the deamons!

Brothers! What we do in life...Echoes in Eternity!


http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&amp;kk=9a35ebe93d371275706bdebcafefaa47

Re: His Dark Materials (Adventure, Fantasy, Drama, Family)

nightcrow wrote:

Either way, regardless of the fact that the acting is poor and I feel like they are somewhat ruining the story, I wont drop it and its still nice to see it in (almost) live action. I just wonder how much they'll have left for season 2, if it ever gets made.

Have you also noticed how they have even significantly changed the story at some points?

+ show spoiler

like with Coulter asking the alethiometer a question

On a good note though, I love how they have done the deamons!

I agree... though my brain says, 'if we all demand more from our entertainment we'll get series that are more Manimal and less Watchman.' But did I mention I love the BOOKS?!

Soooo, yeah... I'll keep watching too. Even with the changes and the lazy foreshadowing (telegraphing is more like it).

I just hope it won't get actually bad (like Runaways... there was a dog of a show, better now for all that it's gone and soon to be forgotten).

https://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&amp;kk=fe18e3ede310c4d0ddb3af64211e19ec

23 (edited by vapdne 2020-02-12 00:22:29)

Re: His Dark Materials (Adventure, Fantasy, Drama, Family)

I've read the books twice but the last time would have been around 2006 I guess so memory and all that.

I wasn't impressed by the first episode but when I settled into the fact that it was going to be a family show (it was advertised in the UK as such and broadcast at a family hour, I eventually realised) my expectations changed and I got more into it and will look forward to season 2. A bit.

Main problems were Mrs Coulter, especially, did not feel at all dark enough. Some of the SFX jarred a bit. Messing with elements of the books structure so much seems unnecessary. Some of the acting. Some of the casting as well then I guess.

But yeah, a solid 3.75/5. Some excellent bits here and there but not enough overall.

Re: His Dark Materials (Adventure, Fantasy, Drama, Family)

I liked how they connected some element from The Book of Dust

+ show spoiler

such as the great flood when Azriel brings Lyra to Oxford

Either way, i mentioned the things I didnt like about the show (specifically poor acting, John Faa and the gyptians)

Brothers! What we do in life...Echoes in Eternity!


http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&amp;kk=9a35ebe93d371275706bdebcafefaa47

Re: His Dark Materials (Adventure, Fantasy, Drama, Family)

I really liked the books back when I read them in my late teens, but I wonder whether I should watch the show... On one hand, I'm looking for a way to introduce this world to my wife (who hasn't read the books) without handing her several thousands pages in one go - it'd be great, but our jobs require lots of reading, and we're tired of it in the evening - but on the other hand, I'm reading only mixed-to-negative reviews on every adaptation.