Topic: Adding description of what language is the TV show

I'd like to see, if possible, somewhere on the TV Show Description page, what is the language used in the TV show.

Thanks for any consideration.

Leslie

You can't ask to start over just because you're losing the game.

Re: Adding description of what language is the TV show

It is definitely possible.

The reason it's not there right now - I keep wondering how valuable it would be (and I don't want to clutter the page with unnecessary information).

By far the most shows on Next Episode are in English, so the language will almost always just say English.

I've considered showing it for only shows in other languages, but this approach has other problems.

So can more people chime in here?

Do you find value in having the language of the show displayed?

http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=5ba0ff0eba240dd51b6bf07fff0abb0e

Re: Adding description of what language is the TV show

santah wrote:

Do you find value in having the language of the show displayed?

I don't but the shows I follow are almost 100% English, and if I need to verify I can search for it.

...where did I put that rat's ass I could give?

Daemons are benevolent or benign nature spirits, beings of the same nature as both mortals and gods, similar to ghosts, chthonic heroes, spirit guides, forces of nature or the gods themselves.

Re: Adding description of what language is the TV show

Or, instead of indicating language, perhaps the country from where the show is being broadcasted? There are so many international shows being included on this site now and even if I follow the channel link to read about the TV channel I can't seem to find a country from where the channel is being broadcasted.

So maybe rather than messing with the layout of each show, just indicate on the channel page from which country is the channel located?

You can't ask to start over just because you're losing the game.

Re: Adding description of what language is the TV show

I would see a value in the country of origin, for some reason can't stand 80% of UK shows. But language can be misleading, because many shows are available dubbed in different languages (right now I watch one Spanish and one Italian show in English).

Re: Adding description of what language is the TV show

g371 wrote:

...for some reason can't stand 80% of UK shows.

That's OK, neither can I and I have to live here.!  We do produce some good ones, but mostly it's crap.

DRM "manages access" in the same way that Prison "manages freedom".
http://xkcd.com/488/

Re: Adding description of what language is the TV show

Wizard wrote:
g371 wrote:

...for some reason can't stand 80% of UK shows.

That's OK, neither can I and I have to live here.!  We do produce some good ones, but mostly it's crap.

Latvian shows 100% are crap, you at least have a couple watchable big_smile

Re: Adding description of what language is the TV show

Daemonius wrote:
santah wrote:

Do you find value in having the language of the show displayed?

I don't but the shows I follow are almost 100% English, and if I need to verify I can search for it.

I have to agree, and like others have pointed out, the language of a show is very misleading and pretty much worthless if you're not indicating its country of origin. I can easily follow the IMDb link (provided it's linked to the correct series) or go to one of the many sources available on the world wide web to verify. IMDb and Wiki are useful, for the most part, with AKAS, scheduling, network, status, language(s), and country info.

I say this because a good example would be Hidden (2018). If you type Hidden (2018) into the search box here at next-episode, you won't get any hits (more on this later). So the average person would probably submit a request for the show to be added, but they will soon come to the hard realization that the show already exists here under its original broadcast name; initially shown in the Welsh language as an 8-part television series on channel S4C back in January 2018. Hidden (2018) is the bilingual version (mostly English) of the series that aired on BBC One Wales and BBC Four back in June of this year.

However, there's also a Hidden (2011) series that debuted on BBC One back in October 2011. Entirely different from Hidden (2018), and already exists here as Hidden. Typing Hidden (2018) into the search box here will yield you results of Hidden by the third letter typed. So if you don't exactly know what you're looking for, it's really easy to get the two shows mixed up. Of course, if you already know what you're looking for, or did your own research, then chances are you already reached your point of destination safely.

https://next-episode.net/img/ne-link.png
https://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=9c3d70de238ebfb2f7ddda60d4ab6e5e
https://sig.grumpybumpers.com/host/4815162342.gif
https://widgets.trakt.tv/users/1052a0e024e050a140d1f4b950dcc292/watched/thin@1x.jpg

Re: Adding description of what language is the TV show

If you type Hidden (2018) into the search box here at next-episode, you won't get any hits (more on this later). So the average person would probably submit a request for the show to be added, but they will soon come to the hard realization that the show already exists here under its original broadcast name;

Not entirely true.

Adding the year to the name isn't very helpful, I agree, and this is something that you just brought up to my attention - so I may add the year to be "matchable" along the show name.

But - if you search for only the show name - Hidden or even Hidden (2018) - the show you're looking for will pop up, even though the original name is Craith, have you tried it? (it works because some shows have "alternative" show names attached to them - they're not visible, but they're searchable)

I mean, you have a point there, but the example wasn't optimal big_smile

http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=5ba0ff0eba240dd51b6bf07fff0abb0e

10 (edited by scorpius074 2018-12-11 21:25:24)

Re: Adding description of what language is the TV show

santah wrote:

Not entirely true.

Adding the year to the name isn't very helpful, I agree, and this is something that you just brought up to my attention - so I may add the year to be "matchable" along the show name.

But - if you search for only the show name - Hidden or even Hidden (2018) - the show you're looking for will pop up, even though the original name is Craith, have you tried it? (it works because some shows have "alternative" show names attached to them - they're not visible, but they're searchable)

Yeah, that was kind of my point, and the reason why I used Hidden (2018) as an example. If someone is unaware of the show's alternative name (Craith), then it's possible they would overlook it in the search results and go for Hidden (which would be Hidden (2011)) instead. You don't even have to type in the year because autocomplete (by the third letter typed - Hid) will yield you results of Craith, as well as Hidden. The reason why I mentioned it is because I helped someone a while back who was wondering why their request for the show was rejected. I see it all the time where people request for a series to be added, only for it to be denied because it already exists here under a different name. Which was also the main point I was trying to make too. Asking for show languages to be added to the site is okay, but overall I still say that you have to have some basic knowledge of what you're looking for when you're searching for a show here at next-episode; otherwise, you may end up missing it entirely.

IMO, I like the way the series' pages are laid out here, and it's just enough info to satisfy my needs without it being too cluttered and cumbersome. You can't afford to cram all the info you may find at certain websites (like IMDb for example) without overcrowding the show pages, especially since there are TVDB, IMDb, and TVMaze links there to follow.

And if you do decide to add the year to be matchable along with the show name that would be cool, but, in the case of Hidden (2018), if a person doesn't know about its alternative name, (or any other alternate names one may come across) then they still would be lost. You can only do but so much which is why I say people may need to do a bit of digging or have prior knowledge beforehand when searching for certain shows here on the site. Speaking of which, I mentioned this a while back, and if it's not too much trouble, don't forget about fixing the IMDb link for Instinct when you get a chance. I'm sure I speak for all when I say, keep up the good work! smile

https://next-episode.net/img/ne-link.png
https://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=9c3d70de238ebfb2f7ddda60d4ab6e5e
https://sig.grumpybumpers.com/host/4815162342.gif
https://widgets.trakt.tv/users/1052a0e024e050a140d1f4b950dcc292/watched/thin@1x.jpg

Re: Adding description of what language is the TV show

What I suggested earlier was have a filter for "Year", "Network", and others.

Re: Adding description of what language is the TV show

@scorpius074 - Instinct imdb link is now fixed, sorry I missed that before!

http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=5ba0ff0eba240dd51b6bf07fff0abb0e

Re: Adding description of what language is the TV show

No worries santah, thanks!

https://next-episode.net/img/ne-link.png
https://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=9c3d70de238ebfb2f7ddda60d4ab6e5e
https://sig.grumpybumpers.com/host/4815162342.gif
https://widgets.trakt.tv/users/1052a0e024e050a140d1f4b950dcc292/watched/thin@1x.jpg

Re: Adding description of what language is the TV show

Added the country in show details in the Airs on: section, right after the channel name.

Let me know what you guys think ...

http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=5ba0ff0eba240dd51b6bf07fff0abb0e

Re: Adding description of what language is the TV show

santah wrote:

So can more people chime in here?

Do you find value in having the language of the show displayed?

No.

Re: Adding description of what language is the TV show

santah wrote:

Added the country in show details in the Airs on: section, right after the channel name.

Let me know what you guys think ...

It's good, only instead of US I would write USA.

Re: Adding description of what language is the TV show

santah wrote:

Added the country in show details in the Airs on: section, right after the channel name.

Let me know what you guys think ...

Thanks so much for the change! This works for me equally as good as the spoken language smile

You can't ask to start over just because you're losing the game.