351

Re: Star Trek: Discovery

I quite liked 4x13! Not a perfect season finale, but I enjoyed watching it. smile

The show is already renewed for season 5.

352 (edited by dofus 2022-03-18 16:20:37)

Re: Star Trek: Discovery

I find it watchable but i agree there is too much "emotions" all the time. Not only do they talk about emotions all the time, every character is also fully motivated and driven by emotions. It kinda reflects the real world these days where nothing is factual and objective any longer, only about fanatic emotions. Like the character Tarka, driven and obsessed by his emotions and willing to basically kill whole galaxies just to satisfy his own personal desires.

Spoiler

It would have been absolutely hilarious if the space aliens had re-materialized Tarka instead and given him back to Mike Burnham and forced the crew to make some very unethical decisions or statements. "Oh thanks but we do not want that guy we meant the other guy." hahahahaha"

353

Re: Star Trek: Discovery

dofus wrote:

I find it watchable but i agree there is too much "emotions" all the time. Not only do they talk about emotions all the time, every character is also fully motivated and driven by emotions. It kinda reflects the real world these days where nothing is factual and objective any longer, only about fanatic emotions. Like the character Tarka, driven and obsessed by his emotions and willing to basically kill whole galaxies just to satisfy his own personal desires.

Spoiler

It would have been absolutely hilarious if the space aliens had re-materialized Tarka instead and given him back to Mike Burnham and forced the crew to make some very unethical decisions or statements. "Oh thanks but we do not want that guy we meant the other guy." hahahahaha"

Spoiler

I was hoping Booker would die but I suppose then there would have been less vomit indusing gushing from whats her name, no joy at seeing he is alive. They clearly had lots of onions on the set  Even the terran general who commited  treason was forgiven. I was half expecting the ever so powerful aliens to bring back all the worlds they had destroyed, happy, happy ending. Atleast be glad there was a not a Data or Spock who would have been parodies

354 (edited by WilliamDrakeMcGregor 2024-04-06 15:58:46)

Re: Star Trek: Discovery

If anyone is wondering, the display and talk about emotions has hit a whole new level in Season 5.

355

Re: Star Trek: Discovery

WilliamDrakeMcGregor wrote:

If anyone is wondering, the display and talk about emotions has hit a whole new level in Season 5.

That's probably because they're all leaving at the end of this season.

356

Re: Star Trek: Discovery

davejo90 wrote:
WilliamDrakeMcGregor wrote:

If anyone is wondering, the display and talk about emotions has hit a whole new level in Season 5.

That's probably because they're all leaving at the end of this season.

Would that it were. The show wasn't canceled until after they had completed filming the entire season and apparently they thought they were being renewed so I am afraid that what we see was a deliberate effort.

357

Re: Star Trek: Discovery

too much banter The funniest moment was the marriage proposal by the vulcan lol

358

Re: Star Trek: Discovery

bvereshagen wrote:
davejo90 wrote:
WilliamDrakeMcGregor wrote:

If anyone is wondering, the display and talk about emotions has hit a whole new level in Season 5.

That's probably because they're all leaving at the end of this season.

Would that it were. The show wasn't canceled until after they had completed filming the entire season and apparently they thought they were being renewed so I am afraid that what we see was a deliberate effort.

I saw an interview where cast and showrunners said they went back and filmed  additional scenes to wrap up the show. Most cancelled shows don't get that opportunity.

359

Re: Star Trek: Discovery

BingeWatcher415 wrote:
bvereshagen wrote:
davejo90 wrote:
WilliamDrakeMcGregor wrote:

If anyone is wondering, the display and talk about emotions has hit a whole new level in Season 5.

That's probably because they're all leaving at the end of this season.

Would that it were. The show wasn't canceled until after they had completed filming the entire season and apparently they thought they were being renewed so I am afraid that what we see was a deliberate effort.

I saw an interview where cast and showrunners said they went back and filmed  additional scenes to wrap up the show. Most cancelled shows don't get that opportunity.

Yes, I saw that too. They got to refilm enough to give the series a coherent ending but the rest of the season's scenes are just business as usual for this series. I do like the new trend of allowing cancelled shows to end in an orderly fashion.

360 (edited by merc 2024-04-08 11:58:59)

Re: Star Trek: Discovery

for interest the new Number One (Callum Keith Rennie) is the main protagonist from that rather good 2 season YouTube ( !) series "impulse" ( 2018) with Maddie Hasson. The series is based on the third novel in the Jumper series by Steven Gould

https://next-episode.net/impulse

regarding series have proper ending. I used to think that. But now I think that type of thing just tugs on the heart strings that you wont be seeing your fave stars/roles again.

361

Re: Star Trek: Discovery

Loved 5x4! The show might not be perfect in all ways, but I'll surely miss it! smile

@merc: I thought he couldn't really shine in that show, much better in this show.

362

Re: Star Trek: Discovery

lighton wrote:

Loved 5x4! The show might not be perfect in all ways, but I'll surely miss it! smile

@merc: I thought he couldn't really shine in that show, much better in this show.


5x4 felt more like a filler episode to me. With this being the last season and only 10 episodes, I did not think they would mess around. Getting tired of Burnham always looking like she is about to cry. Sorta like Tilly.

--== Warning. This message will self destruct in 24h. ==--

363 (edited by merc 2024-04-19 03:07:04)

Re: Star Trek: Discovery

inkblot wrote:
lighton wrote:

Loved 5x4! The show might not be perfect in all ways, but I'll surely miss it! smile

@merc: I thought he couldn't really shine in that show, much better in this show.


5x4 felt more like a filler episode to me. With this being the last season and only 10 episodes, I did not think they would mess around. Getting tired of Burnham always looking like she is about to cry. Sorta like Tilly.

for a final season seems a damp squib and dont mention Tilly......the actor should have been replaced after the first season and the role recast, a most replusive combination

364

Re: Star Trek: Discovery

inkblot wrote:

5x4 felt more like a filler episode to me. With this being the last season and only 10 episodes, I did not think they would mess around.

I guess that's because they only learned that it was the last season after (virtually) everything was filmed.

365 (edited by merc 2024-04-19 22:25:31)

Re: Star Trek: Discovery

eps 4

Spoiler

Ground hog day

. what waste of time.

366

Re: Star Trek: Discovery

Well, that was anticlimactic. The whole final episode felt pointless & went literally nowhere we hadn't already gone.

Lots of "mystery" with no substance; at least half a dozen scenes composed exclusively of cloying sentiment & trite attempts at profound statements.

This episode was way too sappy, utterly predictable, & just didn't reveal or do anything one could actually build on. It just goes nowhere.

These folk should have taken another look at the last episode of TNG, or for that matter any other Trek show, because every single one had a better ending than this.

367

Re: Star Trek: Discovery

But the whole season was pointless.
Chasing tech that was the power to create life, and even re-animate life.
Hello: Genesis device, thousands of years before relative to discovery.

And where did the ability to seed life suddenly become assumed to be all this other powerful and balance-of-power shifting happen?  Since when is cloning and gene tech suddenly something that will make the Breen all-powerful?

Just the 5th season of "WTF t.v." that was Discovery.

368

Re: Star Trek: Discovery

poor old Discovery waiting on its own in space for what? will we be told?

369 (edited by bexpress 2024-06-06 04:16:08)

Re: Star Trek: Discovery

merc wrote:

poor old Discovery waiting on its own in space for what? will we be told?

It's a callback (or setup, depending on how you look at it) to s1ep2 of Star Trek-Short Treks from 2018 https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Calypso_(episode) , though it still doesn't fully explain things.  It's possible that it would have been needed/necessary due to some (far) future event in a future season (had the show not been cancelled) connected to the Temporal Wars (which would possibly connect to the revealed identity of a certain someone in the finale).

370

Re: Star Trek: Discovery

I would have preferred more seasons, but I'm satisfied with how they ended things. I hope there'll be more sci-fi shows as good as this one! smile

371

Re: Star Trek: Discovery

lighton wrote:

I would have preferred more seasons, but I'm satisfied with how they ended things. I hope there'll be more sci-fi shows as good as this one! smile


I for one am glad it ended. It had great special effects, but the show blew chunks.

Every time Tilly or Michael Burnham got even the slightest bit emotional they looked like they were ready to cry. A mannequin could have played Adira better. She had the emotional range of a toaster.

The series was all over the place.

--== Warning. This message will self destruct in 24h. ==--

372 (edited by merc 2024-06-12 11:34:23)

Re: Star Trek: Discovery

inkblot wrote:
lighton wrote:

I would have preferred more seasons, but I'm satisfied with how they ended things. I hope there'll be more sci-fi shows as good as this one! smile


I for one am glad it ended. It had great special effects, but the show blew chunks.

Every time Tilly or Michael Burnham got even the slightest bit emotional they looked like they were ready to cry. A mannequin could have played Adira better. She had the emotional range of a toaster.

The series was all over the place.

Tilly was the worst. Clearly an equalities actor tick box. Burnham with her hushed voice some one you want to just punch in the face to stop her gazing full frontal at you. The last season was not that good, had run out of ideas worth the bother. Both actors I would pop their heads if I had that Sup skill. In fact come to think of it include Adira in that also and the doctor and Frapp. ( I wonder if Frapp is taking out a lawsuite against the doctor with all the kissing as he did with Kevin Spacey - and lost)

373

Re: Star Trek: Discovery

Yet Tilly is coming back for Star Trek Academy (Yikes).

Not sure if this has any strenght but there used to be a Wiseman that worked on older Trek (can't remember which) as a producer; maybe they are related and thats why she landed the part.

374

Re: Star Trek: Discovery

Yet Tilly is coming back for Star Trek Academy (Yikes).

Not sure if this has any strenght but there used to be a Wiseman that worked on older Trek (can't remember which) as a producer; maybe they are related and thats why she landed the part.

375

Re: Star Trek: Discovery

Celleron wrote:

Yet Tilly is coming back for Star Trek Academy (Yikes).

Not sure if this has any strenght but there used to be a Wiseman that worked on older Trek (can't remember which) as a producer; maybe they are related and thats why she landed the part.


Don't get me wrong. I like Tilly. I am just not fond of the watery eyes syndrome.

Paul Stamets the engineer Dr. Hugh Culber are the same. But I do really enjoy Tig Notaro as Jett Reno. She has my vote.

--== Warning. This message will self destruct in 24h. ==--