Re: The Orville

tchala wrote:

Yeah, but there was a setup for the joke all the way thru S01E02

Made me smile like crazy!

The idea that reality TV... Superb.

There were some interesting character developments in there as well.

Agreed! I thought episode two was excellent to be honest. The reality tv part made me smile too, but more importantly the turn of events is what surprised the hell out of me. I did not see that coming, not by a long shot, nice twist. I just wish that at some point they tone down on the corny jokes, and let the humor come naturally within the flow of things from time to time, preferably in the background. Either way, from a sci-fi perspective, I have high hopes for the remaining episodes this season.

https://next-episode.net/img/ne-link.png
http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=9c3d70de238ebfb2f7ddda60d4ab6e5e
https://signavatar.com/40753_s.gif
https://widgets.trakt.tv/users/1052a0e024e050a140d1f4b950dcc292/watched/thin@1x.jpg

Re: The Orville

Wizard wrote:

Nope not for me.  I just barely managed the first episode, and stopped episode 2 after 5 minutes.  Really bad, not funny at all.

I don't think it's supposed to be "funny" as such; it's not a comedy really, it's more how Star Trek would have been if crewed by only the "average" rather than the "elite".  It does have some lighthearted moments but I don't think it's aimed at being a comedic parody along the lines of Galaxy Quest.

Re: The Orville

First two episodes were OK. Third was a big let down.

What is it with American SciFi series that they have to have episodes that try to comment on real world problems and teach the audience a lesson through banal allegory?

Re: The Orville

CarmarthenLad wrote:

First two episodes were OK. Third was a big let down.

What is it with American SciFi series that they have to have episodes that try to comment on real world problems and teach the audience a lesson through banal allegory?

It has got to be an attempt to garner outrage and/or a part of a longer story arc, I can't believe that someone would argue for cultural relativism in good faith in the west in 2017. This nonsense is fine in an academic setting to analyze and make comparisons but to drag it out in the real world, that's horrifying.

Re: The Orville

Kanga wrote:
CarmarthenLad wrote:

First two episodes were OK. Third was a big let down.

What is it with American SciFi series that they have to have episodes that try to comment on real world problems and teach the audience a lesson through banal allegory?

It has got to be an attempt to garner outrage and/or a part of a longer story arc, I can't believe that someone would argue for cultural relativism in good faith in the west in 2017. This nonsense is fine in an academic setting to analyze and make comparisons but to drag it out in the real world, that's horrifying.


Or maybe scifi just isn't for either of you...

Re: The Orville

Haven't watched something this bland and uninteresting for a long time.

http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/OrlandoNEP.png

Re: The Orville

I've said it before... You people are weird. I don't know what kind of high culture you are expecting but this show is the best in a long time.

...where did I put that rat's ass I could give?

Daemons are benevolent or benign nature spirits, beings of the same nature as both mortals and gods, similar to ghosts, chthonic heroes, spirit guides, forces of nature or the gods themselves.

Re: The Orville

Daemonius wrote:

I've said it before... You people are weird. I don't know what kind of high culture you are expecting but this show is the best in a long time.

Just because we disagree with you doesn't make us weird.  There's lots of other reasons we are weird...  smile

That's the second biggest X I've ever seen.

Re: The Orville

Dude, I love toilet humor. I watched Tropic Thunder for the first time few months and was literally cackling during it. This just feels like there was no effort put into it. Design, writing, acting, there is nothing that makes it stand out of the painfully dull ordinary.

Like,

Sofie777 wrote:

-I'm going to look up what magnanimous(sp?) means
-Great
-Great, I'm going to pee

Best joke!

That was even a joke?

http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/OrlandoNEP.png

Re: The Orville

Before it aired, everything I read about it suggested it would be a parody of Star Trek in the spirit of Spaceballs. It was definitely not that. Then it was suggested that it was a stand alone, straight up sci fi series. Doesn't seem to be that either. IMO it is getting better episode by episode, so I am going to quit trying to figure out what it is supposed to be and just watch the damned thing to see if I like it.

36 (edited by HomerS 2017-09-24 22:18:43)

Re: The Orville

Ok you can argue about writing and acting but they put no effort into design? Comon, they clearly did, same with the different characters and you can see the budget used aswell.

It's not your typical parody, not your typical scifi, not too silly, not too serious. Something different.

Not sure if i have laughed a lot yet but i'm not bored and enjoyed it so far and feel entertained. I just sit back and enjoy the ride, like i do with most of what Seth McFarlane has created.

http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=Watchlist&kk=276008292d78a1f619f8bbc10840767b

Re: The Orville

Daemonius wrote:

I've said it before... You people are weird. I don't know what kind of high culture you are expecting but this show is the best in a long time.

I hate to break it to you, this is high culture, straight out of the anthropologist's handbook, I was expecting the lowbrow feelgood stuff wink

Re: The Orville

MeDumbDuck wrote:
Kanga wrote:
CarmarthenLad wrote:

First two episodes were OK. Third was a big let down.

What is it with American SciFi series that they have to have episodes that try to comment on real world problems and teach the audience a lesson through banal allegory?

It has got to be an attempt to garner outrage and/or a part of a longer story arc, I can't believe that someone would argue for cultural relativism in good faith in the west in 2017. This nonsense is fine in an academic setting to analyze and make comparisons but to drag it out in the real world, that's horrifying.


Or maybe scifi just isn't for either of you...

Ha! I have been reading and listening to and watching SciFi for decades...

Re: The Orville

I would've spaced the pro sex-change for babies parent.

http://s4.imgload.info/8s56kr3x7jgk1sv.png

40 (edited by MeDumbDuck 2017-09-29 06:10:44)

Re: The Orville

If it weren't for Star Trek: Discovery I'd say; after four episodes still better star trek than Star Trek, but alas this is not the case...

41 (edited by CarmarthenLad 2017-09-29 21:48:40)

Re: The Orville

It's like some unseen series of ST that happened somewhere between TNG and DS9, but was never aired because one of the  actors ruined it by behaving like a dick in every episode.

It could be quite good if it wasn't for McFarlane...

Re: The Orville

CarmarthenLad wrote:

It's like some unseen series of ST that happened somewhere between TNG and DS9, but was never aired because one of the  actors ruined it by behaving like a dick in every episode.

It could be quite good if it wasn't for McFarlane...

I totally agree.  I just don't like McFarlane's "acting."  Get rid of him and the crap jokes and it would improve no end.

That's the second biggest X I've ever seen.

Re: The Orville

MeDumbDuck wrote:

If it weren't for Star Trek: Discovery I'd say; after four episodes still better star trek than Star Trek, but alas this is not the case...

Well I'm not too concerned about which one is better atm, I'll reserve judgement upon completion, but episode four of The Orville was spot on for me. big_smile


...minus the dicks, and some of the corny moments, but Isaac sort of helped with that.

https://next-episode.net/img/ne-link.png
http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=9c3d70de238ebfb2f7ddda60d4ab6e5e
https://signavatar.com/40753_s.gif
https://widgets.trakt.tv/users/1052a0e024e050a140d1f4b950dcc292/watched/thin@1x.jpg

Re: The Orville

BOOM!

http://s4.imgload.info/8s56kr3x7jgk1sv.png

Re: The Orville

Last week was boring, this week started off as a plot-line I guess

I have no objections to LBGT story lines

Once we got past the hissy-fit this turned into classic ST. I wondered how they'd solve this one

Superbly done

Re: The Orville

Liam was the best part, I think!!

http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=218f9bd804e6df87fe43a8dd62158dbc

Re: The Orville

I'll just leave this here.

SPOILER Show
http://s4.imgload.info/51dguaus7bxux3b.jpg

http://s4.imgload.info/8s56kr3x7jgk1sv.png

48 (edited by scorpius074 2017-10-13 19:53:59)

Re: The Orville

https://78.media.tumblr.com/5588d48bfad10be4ac9377df15e95144/tumblr_inline_owg958V6XK1rf4xkj_540.gif


....patiently waiting for the next episode of The Orville. neutral

https://next-episode.net/img/ne-link.png
http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=9c3d70de238ebfb2f7ddda60d4ab6e5e
https://signavatar.com/40753_s.gif
https://widgets.trakt.tv/users/1052a0e024e050a140d1f4b950dcc292/watched/thin@1x.jpg

Re: The Orville

Krill, that was genuinely good trek that

Has failed his lurker exam and posted

50 (edited by CarmarthenLad 2017-10-27 09:09:42)

Re: The Orville

I am beginning to find this extremely hard going.

The SciFi element is ok in a nostalgic kind of way, but the continual wide-eyed, fluffy-tailed delivery of the "comedy" element is barf inducing. The show can only be funny if it is played straight, the constant telegraphing of obvious schoolboy humour is just tiresome.

I realise childish humour is Seth's metier, but what works so well in Family Guy just doesn't in a live action SciFi series.