51 (edited by HomerS 2018-04-13 14:01:36)

Re: The Expanse

Lovsan wrote:
z1rra_1 wrote:

Yes. Really nice start.

Glad to see rise in production value in sci-fi as well with expanse and Discovery now on the roster. They look really nice.

Id say Discovery is class B compared to Expanse, everything looks good in expanse, in discovery stuff looks like made of plastic, and some pretty stupid plots too, but i still like to watch it, im not really trying to disss it, its just the looks, in Expanse i see pretty much nothing wrong. smile

I doubt that the production budget of the Expanse is higher than Star Trek Discovery.

And the Expanse is recorded only with 1080p cameras and no HDR and Discovery with 2k/4K cameras with HDR, so the Expanse production did save some money right there.

Of course you can only see the difference if you have the 4K HDR TV for it and watch it properly via Netflix and dont download the rip.

http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=Watchlist&kk=276008292d78a1f619f8bbc10840767b

52 (edited by Lovsan 2018-04-13 14:37:46)

Re: The Expanse

HomerS wrote:
Lovsan wrote:
z1rra_1 wrote:

Yes. Really nice start.

Glad to see rise in production value in sci-fi as well with expanse and Discovery now on the roster. They look really nice.

Id say Discovery is class B compared to Expanse, everything looks good in expanse, in discovery stuff looks like made of plastic, and some pretty stupid plots too, but i still like to watch it, im not really trying to disss it, its just the looks, in Expanse i see pretty much nothing wrong. smile

I doubt that the production budget of the Expanse is higher than Star Trek Discovery.

And the Expanse is recorded only with 1080p cameras and no HDR and Discovery with 2k/4K cameras with HDR, so the Expanse production did save some money right there.

Of course you can only see the difference if you have the 4K HDR TV for it and watch it properly via Netflix and dont download the rip.

well i pretty much watch only 720p rips, anyways, in those RiPs Expanse takes victory, like i said, Discovery looks bad, everything is like plastic, meh i dunno how to explain it properly,  i guess cheap is the word is was looking for big_smile Expanse cgi team > Discovery cgi team anyday, and writers smile

Re: The Expanse

Also... https://nerdist.com/the-expanse-is-so-c … r-gravity/

Re: The Expanse

Lovsan wrote:

well i pretty much watch only 720p rips, anyways, in those RiPs Expanse takes victory, like i said, Discovery looks bad, everything is like plastic, meh i dunno how to explain it properly,  i guess cheap is the word is was looking for big_smile Expanse cgi team > Discovery cgi team anyday, and writers smile

Well then you haven't seen it yet, how it usually looks like and it looks good smile

http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=Watchlist&kk=276008292d78a1f619f8bbc10840767b

Re: The Expanse

It's that type of commitment and attention to detail that's one of the many reasons why this show is in a league of its own. There are only a handful of shows currently on air that gets my blood racing whenever I see season premiere highlighted on my calendar, and this happens to be one of them. AFAIC, with the current state of the subgenre, The Expanse doesn't just raise the bar pal, it is the bar! smile

https://next-episode.net/img/ne-link.png
http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=9c3d70de238ebfb2f7ddda60d4ab6e5e
http://pile.randimg.net/0/198/49621/next-episode.png
https://widgets.trakt.tv/users/1052a0e024e050a140d1f4b950dcc292/watched/thin@1x.jpg

Re: The Expanse

Did they really just call their ship (read it out loud with me) the Penis Contorter?

https://s14.postimg.cc/9t6hvnqa9/penis_contorter.png

http://s4.imgload.info/8s56kr3x7jgk1sv.png

Re: The Expanse

It's latin:

Pinus contorta, with the common names lodgepole pine and shore pine, and also known as twisted pine,[2] and contorta pine,[2] is a common tree in western North America.[3] It is common near the ocean shore and in dry montane forests to the subalpine, but is rare in lowland rain forests.[4][5] Like all pines (member species of the genus Pinus), it is an evergreen conifer.

DRM "manages access" in the same way that Prison "manages freedom".
http://xkcd.com/488/

58 (edited by Lovsan 2018-04-19 19:46:27)

Re: The Expanse

it was another awesome episode, loved it! a lot stuff was explained and plenty of action and well the fightin scene was again top notch! oh i hope this series continues for like 10 seasons haha, new "sg1" tongue

when you watch this show, everything that happens feels so realistic compared to the other space scifi shows. i just love it.

Re: The Expanse

Wizard wrote:

It's latin

I know what it is obviously, try reading it out loud (read it as it looks) though...

http://s4.imgload.info/8s56kr3x7jgk1sv.png

Re: The Expanse

The pinecone angle appears to be a fairly obvious reference to the botanist's daughter who, we now know, is alive, fairly well and about to go green (or light blue) the the evil Mr Mau's secret lab. This is one family reunion that could get real strange real quick.

Re: The Expanse

The Expanse is one of those rare shows that I'm liking much more than the books. The first 3 books were confusing and seemed, to me anyway, needed better editing and a solid rewrite  to make them come together. The TV series corrected that, chopped out content that didn't move the story forward, and developed the main characters much better.

SyFy has dumped a bunch of money, (by their standards) into this one. They've done a pretty amazing job in depicting inter-planetary space flight factually. Plus the way they present both settlements and space stations is right inline with the current approach we're following in real life. I read somewhere that they've built on current and planned tech that we're developing for Mars as a basis for the show. They are doing a good job following that path.

My only problem with the show and the books is a big one. It's all about air and water, or the lack of it, for the belters. They should have picked something else. Water is everywhere, and if you have water, you have air. When reading the books, years ago, they mentioned that Mars and Earth had claimed all the easy sources. But really, since all the other content is pretty true, this doesn't make sense. Earth doesn't need it, nor does Mars. Mars has abundant water at its poles and current thinking is that it's probably easy to find underground. So all of the other easy sources, on the moons of Jupiter and Saturn are available for the taking. It might have been a little expensive at the outset, to develop the infrastructure, but by the time these stories take place, water shouldn't be an issue.

Anyway, I see that the ratings have taken a dive this season. We all know SyFy won't hesitate to chop a mediocre performer.  So it probably is on the bubble already. Too bad, because despite some plot holes, it's really something special to watch.

Re: The Expanse

it will be viewed tons once it hits The Netflix. im pretty hopefull it will continue for atleast 2-3 season's.

Re: The Expanse

Lovsan wrote:

it will be viewed tons once it hits The Netflix. im pretty hopefull it will continue for atleast 2-3 season's.

Yes, the show is actually better suited to Netflix than it is to network TV. It is very binge-worthy, in my opinion.  I don't think it will last long enough to get to those magic syndication numbers. I'd love to see it last long enough to cover the first 4 or 5 books then have it picked up by Netflix to finish off the series.

The 8th book in the series is to be released in December of this year. Not counting the novellas, of which a couple of those are worth series of their own. The whole thing really kicks off in some pretty cool ways starting with what should be the next tv series, which will be its 4th. If it gets a renewal this year and they do at least as good of a job as they've done so far, the show can't help but take off, because the content going forward is so much better than what we've seen so far.

Of course, because I'm excited about what could be, if it continues, normally means that it's doomed! Hope not, but it's happened so many times before.... fingers crossed this one carries on.

Re: The Expanse

Zwicky18 wrote:

T

My only problem with the show and the books is a big one. It's all about air and water, or the lack of it, for the belters. They should have picked something else. Water is everywhere, and if you have water, you have air. When reading the books, years ago, they mentioned that Mars and Earth had claimed all the easy sources. But really, since all the other content is pretty true, this doesn't make sense. Earth doesn't need it, nor does Mars. Mars has abundant water at its poles and current thinking is that it's probably easy to find underground. So all of the other easy sources, on the moons of Jupiter and Saturn are available for the taking. It might have been a little expensive at the outset, to develop the infrastructure, but by the time these stories take place, water shouldn't be an issue.

I agree with you that in a show that can be described as "hard" science fiction it is a little strange that water and air were chosen, especially as water ice it's available in abundance in the rings of Saturn, in the asteroid belt and pretty much anywhere you care to look and, as you say, if you have water and energy, you have oxygen. 
it does seem a bit "1960's SciFi" to have chosen those as issues.

Re: The Expanse

yet this show is 1 of the best space scifi shows ever made, those kinds of things are nothing in my mind, water and air, plot would be pretty boring.

last episode also proved how real this looks, the UN ship looks like its real, you can see the so clearly and i love it, unlike the plastic ships from Star Trek.

anywys all shows have them flaws, this show in otherhand has no many of those.

66 (edited by scorpius074 2018-04-27 05:39:54)

Re: The Expanse

Transmitting Tightbeam Message (1/3)
Transmitting Tightbeam Message (2/3)
Transmitting Tightbeam Message (3/3)

https://next-episode.net/img/ne-link.png
http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=9c3d70de238ebfb2f7ddda60d4ab6e5e
http://pile.randimg.net/0/198/49621/next-episode.png
https://widgets.trakt.tv/users/1052a0e024e050a140d1f4b950dcc292/watched/thin@1x.jpg

Re: The Expanse

Zwicky18 wrote:

The 8th book in the series is to be released in December of this year. Not counting the novellas, of which a couple of those are worth series of their own. The whole thing really kicks off in some pretty cool ways starting with what should be the next tv series, which will be its 4th. If it gets a renewal this year and they do at least as good of a job as they've done so far, the show can't help but take off, because the content going forward is so much better than what we've seen so far.

Of course, because I'm excited about what could be, if it continues, normally means that it's doomed! Hope not, but it's happened so many times before.... fingers crossed this one carries on.

Indeed, I couldn't agree with you more. I've been shot down so many times by Sci Fi/Syfy throughout the years that I've learned a long time ago to brace myself for impact at any given moment. If we get two more seasons moving forward I'll consider myself extremely fortunate. For now I just want to get through this season without any unexpected, undesirable forecasts. hmm

https://next-episode.net/img/ne-link.png
http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=9c3d70de238ebfb2f7ddda60d4ab6e5e
http://pile.randimg.net/0/198/49621/next-episode.png
https://widgets.trakt.tv/users/1052a0e024e050a140d1f4b950dcc292/watched/thin@1x.jpg

Re: The Expanse

So the Expanse got canceled sad hopefully Netflix steps in and saves it.

https://screenrant.com/expanse-canceled-syfy/

http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=Watchlist&kk=276008292d78a1f619f8bbc10840767b

Re: The Expanse

I dont really post often but are they friggin drunk?

Re: The Expanse

The series is underperforming in comparison to other series on the network such as The Magicians and Krypton, and the nature of The Expanse‘s relationship with Syfy means that the network only has first-run linear rights in the US, which means the show’s streaming and digital views have no impact on its standing at Syfy as a whole.

As much as it pains me to say this, its untimely demise was to be expected and I think most of us felt it coming, but here I was hoping to at least receive the bad news (if any) after enjoying this season at the very least. Oh well, it's Syfy after all, so we should be grateful we got three seasons in the bag. For now AFAIC it's enjoying the rest of this season and the books while ATG shops around for potential suitors. Fingers crossed...

The show was one of the major releases on Syfy, receiving huge critical acclaim and a devoted group of fans. Filling the void left by the likes of Battlestar Galactica, those who supported the show saw it as raising the bar for the current crop of science fiction television shows, and its most recent season cemented its place as one of the best sci-fi series around. However, it’s clearly not done enough to keep its place in Syfy’s roster.

Ok, so a guy walks into a bar.... tongue

https://next-episode.net/img/ne-link.png
http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=9c3d70de238ebfb2f7ddda60d4ab6e5e
http://pile.randimg.net/0/198/49621/next-episode.png
https://widgets.trakt.tv/users/1052a0e024e050a140d1f4b950dcc292/watched/thin@1x.jpg

Re: The Expanse

I've heard rumors that it's actually a reverse thing happening, it's not as much Syfy cancelling as the show owners who wants to take it elsewhere where they will get a bigger payday.

Re: The Expanse

To expand upon that even further, I've also heard rumors that it was all by design since the jump. Basically insinuating that a deal was made by both sides that would pretty much guarantee this show would be cancelled after its 2nd or 3rd season. Alcon wants out so they can get a better deal elsewhere, and SyFy wants out so they can get a better deal from Alcon on it. Of course those are just rumors atm, so I would take it with a grain of salt, but for now, based on what I quoted earlier, that’s how 99% of all show deals work when they’re not directly owned by the network. The backend (streaming and syndication) is where the lions share of the profits comes from nowadays, especially seeing how steadfast live TV is dropping in viewership. Also, the bigger issue is that live ratings are determined by Nielsen. So even if you thought you were doing The Expanse a solid by watching it on Syfy, if you aren't in a Nielsen household (which is a surprisingly large amount of people), your viewership isn't noted to the network.

Another thing to also consider is that next week is upfronts, where the networks show off all of their shows for next season to advertisers. So in regards to that, they have to announce next years schedules by the end of the week, meaning all the renewals, cancellations, pilot pickups, etc have to be announced, I believe, by tonight. Essentially creating a frenzy, which essentially makes it crunch time!

https://next-episode.net/img/ne-link.png
http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=9c3d70de238ebfb2f7ddda60d4ab6e5e
http://pile.randimg.net/0/198/49621/next-episode.png
https://widgets.trakt.tv/users/1052a0e024e050a140d1f4b950dcc292/watched/thin@1x.jpg

73 (edited by Kanga 2018-05-12 01:30:44)

Re: The Expanse

scorpius074 wrote:

Another thing to also consider is that next week is upfronts, where the networks show off all of their shows for next season to advertisers. So in regards to that, they have to announce next years schedules by the end of the week, meaning all the renewals, cancellations, pilot pickups, etc have to be announced, I believe, by tonight. Essentially creating a frenzy, which essentially makes it crunch time!

So it's the perfect time to negotiate now and all the media attention will stir the pot, potentially making the show very interesting to pick up. Yeah I wouldn't worry.

Edit: Hehe yeah I see it popping up on reddit now with "fans are mounting an effort to restore The Expanse" like a clockwork.

Re: The Expanse

Indeed, I wouldn't worry too much either because it was a hot commodity even before all the buzz surrounding its cancellation. The fans over at reddit are literally burning the house down lols. When I first caught wind of this I wanted to scorch the earth and boil the seas myself, but the more I thought about it, the more it made sense from a business standpoint. Please don't shoot the messenger all at once... The Expanse was never a good fit for Syfy since day one. It was introduced alongside other shows like Dark Matter, Killjoys, and 12 Monkeys in an effort to recapture the audience it once had for BSG, but many long-time viewers were probably skeptical of Syfy's renewed interest in science fiction. Fool me twice, shame on me... The target audience of this show has always been heavily inclined towards digital consumption. It's a binge-watchers delight! Since Syfy ties much of its streaming to cable providers, it had no chance to attract cord cutters, and the network never had the streaming rights anyway.

And since Syfy is owned by NBCUniversal (a subsidiary of Comcast), and Comcast has always despised streaming for obliterating their cable business model, it's pretty clear why things went south real fast. The Expanse is a show that has fans all over the world, but SyFy's restrictive distribution rights made it only available live in Canada and USA, leaving pretty much everyone else to wait until Netflix distributed it 6-8 months later, that is unless you purchased the episodes digitally via Amazon Prime. If Alcon does it right, they'll find another suitor that actually distributes worldwide or has less restrictions of this sort. It's amazing how a network who preaches to imagine greater lacked the imagination needed to market a show of this magnitude. Netflix manages to get audiences for movies that are complete garbage, so imagine what they can do with a show that critics like, already has a cult following, and surely to attract a hell of a lot more amidst all the turmoil. This show needs a strong, modern distribution platform to take it on. The peeps over at reddit seem to lean towards Amazon and Netflix as the top potential suitors, but they're not the only shows in town who will be highly interested in scooping up this show. This series has a long enough life ahead of it to make it a long term investment.

Funny thing is that had The Expanse aired on FOX it probably wouldn't have made it past its opening season. The television show did an excellent job with carving away the fat and presenting us with a high quality sci-fi series that was still loyal to the bookworms, such as myself. Honestly, I wouldn't be too surprised if this show gets picked up before the year is out. Here's hoping that it doesn't die a slow and painful death as Hannibal did. hmm

https://next-episode.net/img/ne-link.png
http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=9c3d70de238ebfb2f7ddda60d4ab6e5e
http://pile.randimg.net/0/198/49621/next-episode.png
https://widgets.trakt.tv/users/1052a0e024e050a140d1f4b950dcc292/watched/thin@1x.jpg

Re: The Expanse

The Expanse ought to be a good fit for a streaming outfit. Currently Amazon has streaming rights for the US while Netflix has the international rights. Meanwhile Brooklyn Nine-Nine, a fan favorite comedy that also got cancelled, got picked up by a  streamer operation. Whatever happens here it will be a useful lesson for others pitching SF programming.

BTW, I thought Lost In Space and most other new SF shows were generally better than expected. The show runners and production companies pay a lot more attention to the fans than back in the pre-Internet days. A decade ago a lot of fans were surprised to discover that the writers, directors, showrunners and many actors were lurking (or even posting) on message boards. That has paid off because there have been a lot fewer braindead SF shows. Now if we only had more SF fans...