Re: This is unacceptable.

arashi wrote:

So are you saying you have read over 9000 books?  yikes

You haven't seen Godzis awesome Cribs style video in his YT channel featuring lots of his books?

...where did I put that rat's ass I could give?

Daemons are benevolent or benign nature spirits, beings of the same nature as both mortals and gods, similar to ghosts, chthonic heroes, spirit guides, forces of nature or the gods themselves.

Re: This is unacceptable.

arashi wrote:

So are you saying you have read over 9000 books?  yikes

he said he read close to 10.000 books, that means he had to read every day a book and also finish it within a day and it still would take him 27,5 years to read that amount.of books wink

i think there are not many people in the world who could read so many books in their lifetime

https://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=Watchlist&kk=276008292d78a1f619f8bbc10840767b

Re: This is unacceptable.

i really have not counted, but i know that at home i have close to 2000 books and i have read most of them. and when younger i borrow a lot of books from the library.

"Avenge Me."
"Judgment Day is inevitable."
__________________________________________
My Watchlist

Re: This is unacceptable.

Do I really have to read the books?

The main reason I watch the TV-shows and movies is to avoid reading  big_smile

30 (edited by toidol 2011-04-20 19:47:45)

Re: This is unacceptable.

Just finished the first book. It was really good for a fantasy book. Going to start listening to the second book tomorrow.

Re: This is unacceptable.

Sindre33 wrote:

Do I really have to read the books?

The main reason I watch the TV-shows and movies is to avoid reading  big_smile

You don't have to read these books, but I do recommend you read some books.  It's just like watching TV, but all the action is inside your mind.  wink

32 (edited by Quinlan 2011-04-20 21:06:29)

Re: This is unacceptable.

I'll read them when the show is done. NOT before. NEVER NEVER read the book before watching the movie or show. (Obviously, when it's not done already or to the best of your possibility).

I'm still traumatized by "Misery" and "The Firm". Even though "Misery" wasn't a bad flick. But "The Firm" was... oh dear... so bad......... *snnnigff*

Myka : You slept with her didn't you ?
Pete : Well... you... you told me to investigate ok ? So... she's unarmed.

Re: This is unacceptable.

Quinlan wrote:

NEVER NEVER read the book before watching the movie or show.

I beg to differ.

http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/OrlandoNEP.png

Re: This is unacceptable.

I have read 18 books of my own free will, and I have been forced to read perhaps 10...

Re: This is unacceptable.

Mxyzptlk wrote:

I have read 18 books of my own free will, and I have been forced to read perhaps 10...

you can't be serious... are you?

"Avenge Me."
"Judgment Day is inevitable."
__________________________________________
My Watchlist

Re: This is unacceptable.

Unfortunately, yes I am... Harry Potter and Sword of Truth will amount to 18 books.

I have read lots and lots of Donald Duck, though smile


Edit:
I just remembered! I've read the Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy, too!

Re: This is unacceptable.

Mxyzptlk wrote:

Unfortunately, yes I am... Harry Potter and Sword of Truth will amount to 18 books.

I have read lots and lots of Donald Duck, though smile

but diden't u listen to the audio book of Sword of Truth? coz audio book and reading a book is not quite the same smile

https://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=Watchlist&kk=276008292d78a1f619f8bbc10840767b

Re: This is unacceptable.

HomerS wrote:

but diden't u listen to the audio book of Sword of Truth? coz audio book and reading a book is not quite the same smile

he did listen to it, so it does not count.

"Avenge Me."
"Judgment Day is inevitable."
__________________________________________
My Watchlist

Re: This is unacceptable.

Quinlan wrote:

I'll read them when the show is done. NOT before. NEVER NEVER read the book before watching the movie or show. (Obviously, when it's not done already or to the best of your possibility).

I'm still traumatized by "Misery" and "The Firm". Even though "Misery" wasn't a bad flick. But "The Firm" was... oh dear... so bad......... *snnnigff*

I'm still having traumatic flashbacks from Dreamcatcher ... So ... much ... wrong ...

As for GoT, I'm on Storm of Swords (book 3). I was very pleasantly surprised by how good the show is, and can't wait for all the awesome it's going to be covering  smile

https://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=7ba07d44e4bb6dec90aa30d0563f83fd

Re: This is unacceptable.

HomerS wrote:
Mxyzptlk wrote:

Unfortunately, yes I am... Harry Potter and Sword of Truth will amount to 18 books.

I have read lots and lots of Donald Duck, though smile

but diden't u listen to the audio book of Sword of Truth? coz audio book and reading a book is not quite the same smile

I disagree... I think it's just the same.... and btw, I listened to Harry Potter too wink.... well, I read the first four...

Also, the books I have listened to, I have listened to more than once...

Re: This is unacceptable.

Orlando wrote:
Quinlan wrote:

NEVER NEVER read the book before watching the movie or show.

I beg to differ.

If you read "Novelization" of a movie, it doesn't count. lol

Seriously, I prefer to like a show for what it is and then be surprised by the book. Sometimes it even enhance the pleasure of the show when you watch it again later. Or it enhance the pleasure of reading the books as you have images and characters to hold on and what was missing in the show is like bonuses.

The other way around almost always leaves a bad taste because you know things should've happened or happened a different way and it's usually VERY annoying. (She cut her damn leg in Misery and she rolled over the policeman with the lawnmower).

And that's for normal cases. "The Firm" I mentioned? The hero in the book gets away with the money. Tom Moronic Cruise finds a legal way to get out of trouble...

The movie was fine until you hear the words "I find a legal way..."

Something just goes *pop* : "Huh... what??"

Myka : You slept with her didn't you ?
Pete : Well... you... you told me to investigate ok ? So... she's unarmed.

Re: This is unacceptable.

Mxyzptlk wrote:

I disagree... I think it's just the same.... and btw, I listened to Harry Potter too wink.... well, I read the first four...
Also, the books I have listened to, I have listened to more than once...

so in other words you have read 4 books and donald duck comics so far free of will tongue

i don't think it's the same coz with reading you experience the book with ur own pace and your imagination has its own proper time to create the world of the story.

With an audio book the speed, tone and voices is set and given to you, so u have to adebt to it. I'm not saying audio books aren't good and can't be fun aswell but a book can be even more engaging.

BUt to be honest when i spend a lot of time with TV and on PC i often find my self having problems to concentrate on a book coz my mind wonders off but given a little time getting used to it again it works fine aswell.

https://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=Watchlist&kk=276008292d78a1f619f8bbc10840767b

Re: This is unacceptable.

I just wrapped up book 3.  I thought the action and pacing were a lot better in this one that book 2, had a hard time getting thru that one.

Spoiler

I love how main characters can get killed off so suddenly, but in this case I was sad because a few of them were characters I was really interested in.  But before the book was over there was even MORE strange twists and turns!

I got really excited for book 4 and hope it's as good.

Re: This is unacceptable.

HomerS wrote:
Mxyzptlk wrote:

I disagree... I think it's just the same.... and btw, I listened to Harry Potter too wink.... well, I read the first four...
Also, the books I have listened to, I have listened to more than once...

so in other words you have read 4 books and donald duck comics so far free of will tongue

i don't think it's the same coz with reading you experience the book with ur own pace and your imagination has its own proper time to create the world of the story.

With an audio book the speed, tone and voices is set and given to you, so u have to adebt to it. I'm not saying audio books aren't good and can't be fun aswell but a book can be even more engaging.

BUt to be honest when i spend a lot of time with TV and on PC i often find my self having problems to concentrate on a book coz my mind wonders off but given a little time getting used to it again it works fine aswell.

Fine.... you might have a point...

Re: This is unacceptable.

Quinlan wrote:

The other way around almost always leaves a bad taste because you know things should've happened or happened a different way and it's usually VERY annoying.

That is a very interesting (but mostly true) point. I am the exact opposite of you - I have to read or watch the original (book, movie, TV show) before watching the adaptation or remake. And yes, most of the time I am sorely disappointed, because the adaptations / remakes suck.

It also leads to another problem, which is that I usually consume the original work of art very shortly before the adaptation comes out and then I don't feel like watching the adaptation because everything from the original is still fresh in my mind. This way I have "talked" myself out of watching the US movie versions of State of Play and Edge of Darkness. And it is also the reason why I'm not watching Game of Thrones right now - I finished the book about four weeks ago ...

But even though my way sucks, I still couldn't do it your way. I hate reading / watching characters with established chemistry and relationships "go back" to not knowing each other, i.e. your typical prequel or "how we met" stories TV shows tend to do around the third season when the writers run out of relationship revelations. If I watched a TV show or a movie (i.e. by the end knew the characters intimately and with an established chemistry) I would hate every minute of reading the original book depicting the characters as strangers (to each other) in its first chapters.

Also I dislike knowing something the characters don't and having experienced the story before I am basically prescient and know exactly what will happen. I can suffer through this easier in a TV show or a movie, because my mind is occupied by the casting choices, the soundtrack, the visuals, and of course looking for departures from the original. If I had to read a book I've already seen as a movie / TV show and if it was a good adaptation, I'd have to suffer this for a longer period of time.

tl;dr-version: I admit that my way always leads to my disappointment, but for various personal quirks I couldn't ever consume stories like that.

"We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go."
-- Colonel Tigh

http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=6a46bed7e7b08a8ca752faaaa99a03bd

Re: This is unacceptable.

I read, then watch, then read again. Usually gives me the best experience.

Re: This is unacceptable.

i've never understood the moral highground that people that read the book seem to take over those that haven't....  and i also find it baffling when those people then write "it's not as good as the book".... like that is some kind of revelation

it's a TV show, take it as a TV show and you'll enjoy it a lot more.... if you take it as a poor knock-off of a book, then you're gonna be left disappointed.... and don't even get me started of those imitation book-readers - the common audiobook listener pfffff  neutral

Re: This is unacceptable.

people talk how much they have read, i don't know my count, because i started counting what i have read and how much i have read 10 months ago, so right now i have only a list of read-thru-books when i have been in the army. and right now the count is 34 (that includes the Dark Tower series, ps: the best series i have ever read).
and i'm proud of it, because usually i don't read that much, mostly one book in a month or even less, but in army i just find a real good time spender, when we not allowed to use computer.

tfurrows wrote:

I just wrapped up book 3.  I thought the action and pacing were a lot better in this one that book 2, had a hard time getting thru that one.

I got really excited for book 4 and hope it's as good.

my friend said that fourth book was kind of boring, nothing really interesting happened, except the ending, that was amazing tongue, but anyway it was still a good book and mostly i'm waiting for "Dance with Dragons" and i don't care how much it will cost me, so i could get one copy of it ASAP when it's available in USA.

Re: This is unacceptable.

I think there are many type of approaches for screen adaptations. For example most of the time they make the movie for those who havent read the books and that is when it can be very sour for those who read the books.

In the game of thrones they are making the tv-series for those who have read the book. That changes a lot. I know for most things they will be very true to the show and they will decide to make some changes but most will be honor but i also think they will try to keep some things fresh and surprise those loyal to the books. I am certain those changes will be well thought out and i am looking forward to them as long as they dont change the whole concept too much.

Re: This is unacceptable.

what ever changes they do, at least they won't be very bad, because Martin itself is working on the series. not some random guy