Topic: New to Stargate

I have seen that Stargate Atlantis is recommended to me on many of the TV shows that I watch/watched (Battlestar etc.) and was wondering if I should/need to watch the TEN seasons of SG-1 before watching Atlantis?

I remember when I first watched Battlestar and didn't know there was a mini-series before 1x01. Left me quite  confused and would rather avoid that situation again, but in that case it was only 3 hrs I missed!

Thanks

Re: New to Stargate

I would recommend you to watch all 10 seasons of SG-1 before watching Atlantis.

I had a friend who didn't watch SG-1 before Atlantis and I had to explain almost everything to him hmm

http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=d1&kk=ac189e26a2e7bb80635d780411b5fbf5

Re: New to Stargate

You should definately watch Sg-1 first. Both cause it explains everything, and it's awesome. Just give it a chance, many think it's a bit slow in the beginning. But season 4-8 or so is the best TV ever. tongue

Re: New to Stargate

Atlantis starts getting mentionet around Seasons 5-7/8 of SG1. There are quite a bit of cross-overs that are not always relevant to underestanding the plot, but are very helpful to getting the context.Many of the heroes in Atlantis start of as guest appearances in SG1 and more than one of them were presented in ways that conditioned you to dislike them, same goes for SGU by the way. Atlantis is somewhat a first bridge between the traditional SG theme and the "Galacticaesque" vibe of SGU, since they are way too far from Earth to get much support and are semi-trapped in a not-fully operational space-city/fortress/base on another galaxy.

So, in short, If you want to "skip to the important parts", Seasons 5 through 8 of SG1 may get you all you need to know about the Ancients in order to get Atlantis without any trouble. However, by then a good part of what SG1 is about will turn nto guess work even if you saw the movie that spurted all this, as the explanation in SG1 is way more intricate, interesting, complex, funny and  suble (i.e. better) than that of the movie (which was in a way a lot more hard Sci-Fi and concentrated on the linguisticsthus, frankly, takes the correct mind set to watch as literally a good part of it is not spoken in english, bold, yet on the verge of annoying). O, I digressed... to big a universe. Man, watch SG1, it is easier, and, well, quite fun. They do not take themselves as seriously as other things in the SciFi genre, the chemistry between the actors is one of the best in the television history in any genre, dialog is Seinfeld-fast and in some points quite as funny. The Stargate concept is almost as open as the Docto Who concept,allowing them to switch genres between episodes. I am sure there will be other installments in the future, so, get yourself acquainted with the stuff.

IMHO there are 4 sci-fi  universes everyone (or everygeek) should know something about, SG is the youngest, Doctor Who the oldest, Star Trek and Star Wars the other two. Galactica hitches a ride though much less important (even if the show was better, actually, is here just beacuse the show was so good - talking mythos/universes here, not single seres-movie quality as that would open the whole 2001, Blade Runner, Solaris, Phillip K. Dick, William Gibson, Heinlen, etc can of worms).

Everybody lives, just this once, everybody lives!

Re: New to Stargate

Most important is probably that you should really not miss Sg-1! It's an awesome show and everyone should watch it.. smile

Re: New to Stargate

Mxyzptlk put it perfectly. big_smile Brief and perfect.

Everybody lives, just this once, everybody lives!

7 (edited by HomerS 2010-06-29 15:11:33)

Re: New to Stargate

i haven't seen SG-1 except the movie from 1994 and a few random episodes and i did understand Atlantis just fine, so its not really necessary but since many recommend SG-1, it's not a mistake i guess

http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=Watchlist&kk=276008292d78a1f619f8bbc10840767b

Re: New to Stargate

This from gateworld forums...

[said=some random guy@gateworld]You're best to watch up through season 7 before starting Atlantis as it runs concurrently with season 8.[/said]

and then there was also this

[said=another random guy@gateworld]sg1 and atlantis episodes ordered by the first airing dates (dates taken from wikipedia) ("a"=atlantis, "s"=sg-1, first 2 digits=season number, last 2 digits=episode number)

s0801 New Order (Part 1) 07/09/04
s0802 New Order (Part 2) 07/09/04
a0101 Rising (Part 1) 07/16/04
a0102 Rising (Part 2) 07/16/04
a0103 Hide and Seek 07/23/04
s0803 Lockdown 07/23/04
a0104 Thirty-Eight Minutes 07/30/04
s0804 Zero Hour 07/30/04
a0105 Suspicion 08/06/04
s0805 Icon 08/06/04
a0106 Childhood's End 08/13/04
s0806 Avatar 08/13/04
a0107 Poisoning the Well 08/20/04
s0807 Affinity 08/20/04
a0108 Underground 08/27/04
s0808 Covenant 08/27/04
a0109 Home 09/10/04
s0809 Sacrifices 09/10/04
a0110 The Storm (Part 1) 09/17/04
s0810 Endgame 09/17/04
a0111 The Eye (Part 2) 11/08/04
a0112 The Defiant One 11/15/04
a0113 Hot Zone 11/22/04
a0114 Sanctuary 11/29/04
a0115 Before I Sleep 12/06/04
s0811 Gemini 12/14/04
s0812 Prometheus Unbound 12/21/04
a0116 The Brotherhood 01/03/05
s0813 It's Good to Be King 01/04/05
a0117 Letters from Pegasus 01/10/05
s0814 Full Alert 01/11/05
a0118 The Gift 01/17/05
s0815 Citizen Joe 01/18/05
a0119 The Siege (Part 1) 01/24/05
s0816 Reckoning (Part 1) 01/25/05
a0120 The Siege (Part 2) 01/31/05
s0817 Reckoning (Part 2) 02/01/05
s0818 Threads 02/08/05
s0819 Moebius (Part 1) 02/15/05
s0820 Moebius (Part 2) 02/22/05
a0201 The Siege (Part 3) 07/15/05
s0901 Avalon (Part 1) 07/15/05
a0202 The Intruder 07/22/05
s0902 Avalon (Part 2) 07/22/05
a0203 Runner 07/29/05
s0903 Origin (Part 3) 07/29/05
a0204 Duet 08/05/05
s0904 The Ties That Bind 08/05/05
a0205 Condemned 08/12/05
s0905 The Powers That Be 08/12/05
a0206 Trinity 08/19/05
s0906 Beachhead 08/19/05
a0207 Instinct (Part 1) 08/26/05
s0907 Ex Deus Machina 08/26/05
a0208 Conversion (Part 2) 09/09/05
s0908 Babylon 09/09/05
s0909 Prototype 09/16/05
s0910 The Fourth Horseman (Part 1) 09/16/05
a0209 Aurora 09/23/05
a0210 The Lost Boys (Part 1) 09/23/05
a0211 The Hive (Part 2) 11/21/05
a0212 Epiphany 11/28/05
a0213 Critical Mass 12/05/05
a0214 Grace Under Pressure 12/12/05
a0215 The Tower 12/19/05
a0216 The Long Goodbye 01/02/06
s0911 The Fourth Horseman (Part 2) 01/06/06
a0217 Coup D'etat 01/09/06
s0912 Collateral Damage 01/13/06
a0218 Michael 01/16/06
s0913 Ripple Effect 01/20/06
a0219 Inferno 01/23/06
s0914 Stronghold 01/27/06
a0220 Allies (Part 1) 01/30/06
s0915 Ethon 02/03/06
s0916 Off the Grid 02/10/06
s0917 The Scourge 02/17/06
s0918 Arthur's Mantle 02/24/06
s0919 Crusade 03/03/06
s0920 Camelot 03/10/06
a0301 No Man's Land (Part 2) 07/14/06
s1001 Flesh and Blood 07/14/06
a0302 Misbegotten (Part 3) 07/21/06
s1002 Morpheus 07/21/06
a0303 Irresistible 07/28/06
s1003 The Pegasus Project 07/28/06
a0304 Sateda 08/04/06
s1004 Insiders 08/04/06
a0305 Progeny (Part 1) 08/11/06
s1005 Uninvited 08/11/06
a0306 The Real World (Part 2) 08/18/06
s1006 200 08/18/06
a0307 Common Ground 08/25/06
s1007 Counterstrike 08/25/06
a0308 McKay and Mrs. Miller 09/08/06
s1008 Memento Mori 09/08/06
a0309 Phantoms 09/15/06
s1009 Company of Thieves 09/15/06
a0310 The Return (Part 1) 09/22/06
s1010 The Quest (Part 1) 09/22/06
a0311 The Return (Part 2) 11/20/06
a0312 Echoes 11/27/06
a0313 Irresponsible 12/04/06
a0314 Tao of Rodney 12/11/06
a0315 The Game 12/18/06
a0316 The Ark 01/08/07
s1011 The Quest (Part 2) 01/09/07
a0317 Sunday 01/15/07
s1012 Line in the Sand 01/16/07
a0318 Submersion 01/22/07
s1013 The Road Not Taken 01/23/07
a0319 Vengeance 01/29/07
s1014 The Shroud 01/30/07
a0320 First Strike (Part 1) 02/05/07
s1015 Bounty 02/06/07
s1016 Bad Guys 02/13/07
s1017 Talion 02/20/07
s1018 Family Ties 02/27/07
s1019 Dominion 03/06/07
s1020 Unending 03/13/07
a0401 Adrift (Part 2) 09/28/07 [/said]

...where did I put that rat's ass I could give?

Daemons are benevolent or benign nature spirits, beings of the same nature as both mortals and gods, similar to ghosts, chthonic heroes, spirit guides, forces of nature or the gods themselves.

9 (edited by Hr. Ulottuvuus 2010-06-30 05:57:20)

Re: New to Stargate

herusardo wrote:

IMHO there are 4 sci-fi  universes everyone (or everygeek) should know something about, SG is the youngest, Doctor Who the oldest, Star Trek and Star Wars the other two. Galactica hitches a ride though much less important (even if the show was better, actually, is here just beacuse the show was so good - talking mythos/universes here, not single seres-movie quality as that would open the whole 2001, Blade Runner, Solaris, Phillip K. Dick, William Gibson, Heinlen, etc can of worms).

you got to remember that galactica is almost as old as star wars...


and you inphinyte, should really start from sg1, its a way better show that atlantis (but not as good as sgu)

what doesn't kill you - hurts even more...

Re: New to Stargate

bottom line , SG-1 started the TV franchise - SGA is originally based on events that happened in SG-1 and then evolved to an almost independent plot ("almost" because the story lines are crossing from time to time)
start with SG-1.

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/6336/neuserbar1.jpg
http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=2eaef4368573d410af8aec9cef95ee25

Re: New to Stargate

Question is, would you have fun if you watched Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back before  watching the previous part? IMHO - yes. But that still doesn't mean you should do so. You'll have a crapload more fun if you watch it properly. Period.

http://bfbc2.elxx.net/sig/detail4/pc/mlin.png

http://sc2sig.com/s/eu/358719-1.png

Re: New to Stargate

Mxyzptlk wrote:

Most important is probably that you should really not miss Sg-1! It's an awesome show and everyone should watch it.. smile

indeed.

"Avenge Me."
"Judgment Day is inevitable."
__________________________________________
My Watchlist

Re: New to Stargate

In my opinion SG-1 beats the hell out of the other two shows! Teal'c comedy rox.

Re: New to Stargate

Tiwaa wrote:

In my opinion SG-1 beats the hell out of the other two shows! Teal'c comedy rox.

Indeed!

...where did I put that rat's ass I could give?

Daemons are benevolent or benign nature spirits, beings of the same nature as both mortals and gods, similar to ghosts, chthonic heroes, spirit guides, forces of nature or the gods themselves.

Re: New to Stargate

mlin wrote:

Question is, would you have fun if you watched Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back before  watching the previous part? IMHO - yes. But that still doesn't mean you should do so. You'll have a crapload more fun if you watch it properly. Period.

Indeed big_smile

http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=f2f78bbc2ae515f1a55746f794066001

Re: New to Stargate

Hr. Ulottuvuus wrote:

[
you got to remember that galactica is almost as old as star wars...

I thought of Galactica, but the original series is a big case of going downhill and most of the ideas had to be resignified in the new one in order to work. I love the show, but it is not, technically speaking, as important as the other 4 as a UNIVERSE. It was created to capitalize on the success of Star wars, just one year later, but that does not really matter. As a mythology it is a lot more closed than the others and is better for it. Star Trek, which I am NOT a fan, has a better mythology than the sums of it's shows ... this is why I said it was a close second, or "hitched a ride". If we allowed BSG to come into the group, we open the door for all other mythologies.

Everybody lives, just this once, everybody lives!

Re: New to Stargate

SciFi TV series that are a must watch in alphabetical order:

* Babylon 5 (first season is poor, but important to watch)
* Battlestar Galatica (new)
* Doctor Who
* Farscape
* Firefly
* Ghost in the Shell : SAC
* Star Trek TNG/DS9 (first few seasons in each were bad)
* Torchwood

I really like SG1 and Universe, but the above shows are amazing!

18 (edited by Hr. Ulottuvuus 2010-07-03 08:56:26)

Re: New to Stargate

Phoenix wrote:

SciFi TV series that are a must watch in alphabetical order:

* Babylon 5 (first season is poor, but important to watch)
* Battlestar Galatica (new)
* Doctor Who
* Farscape
* Firefly
* Ghost in the Shell : SAC
* Star Trek TNG/DS9 (first few seasons in each were bad)
* Torchwood

I really like SG1 and Universe, but the above shows are amazing!

well, B5 was just brilliant (storywise)
the new Galactica propably the best show ever
the old galactica was the best show ever
Doctor Who is kinda boring
Farscape kinda crappy (can't get pass the first couple of episodes, couse the feel of the show is so cheap)
FireFly was the best new scifi show in a long time, too bad fox didn't realize this
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex was just crap!!!! the two films were absolutely brilliant, best anime i'v ever seen
Star Trek just boring (no matter what spinoff, except for enterprise which was kinda good)
Torchwood never heard off

what doesn't kill you - hurts even more...

Re: New to Stargate

Hr. Ulottuvuus wrote:

Doctor Who is kinda boring

Blasphemy!

Re: New to Stargate

Mxyzptlk wrote:
Hr. Ulottuvuus wrote:

Doctor Who is kinda boring

Blasphemy!

Exterminate blasphemous hu-man!


rsrsrs

As I said, including Galactica you open a pretty big can of worms. smile B5 as a story is the best thing JMStrackzinski ever wrote. Torchwood is nice to watch but is far from a great show (with the notable exception of Children of Earth, that bastion of excelence and awsomeness that redeems the whole two years that came before) but since it spins of Doctor Who, it is just an expansion on the mythos (show is worth watching, and can be taken as a great one if you like whedonian settings - it's RTDavies's most Whedon like show). I have to agree about Ghost in the shell the show being somewhat of a letdown, especially because the first movie is so good that is on par with Neuromancer, in which it clearly is inspired,

Everybody lives, just this once, everybody lives!

Re: New to Stargate

BlackBox wrote:
mlin wrote:

Question is, would you have fun if you watched Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back before  watching the previous part? IMHO - yes. But that still doesn't mean you should do so. You'll have a crapload more fun if you watch it properly. Period.

Indeed big_smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtPgr94VYA4

big_smile

http://bfbc2.elxx.net/sig/detail4/pc/mlin.png

http://sc2sig.com/s/eu/358719-1.png

Re: New to Stargate

mlin wrote:
BlackBox wrote:
mlin wrote:

Question is, would you have fun if you watched Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back before  watching the previous part? IMHO - yes. But that still doesn't mean you should do so. You'll have a crapload more fun if you watch it properly. Period.

Indeed big_smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtPgr94VYA4

big_smile

1 minute is indeed enough of that...

...where did I put that rat's ass I could give?

Daemons are benevolent or benign nature spirits, beings of the same nature as both mortals and gods, similar to ghosts, chthonic heroes, spirit guides, forces of nature or the gods themselves.

Re: New to Stargate

Hr. Ulottuvuus wrote:

Doctor Who is kinda boring

So true!

24 (edited by Phoenix 2010-07-04 00:46:57)

Re: New to Stargate

Hr. Ulottuvuus wrote:

well, B5 was just brilliant (storywise)
the new Galactica propably the best show ever
the old galactica was the best show ever
Doctor Who is kinda boring
Farscape kinda crappy (can't get pass the first couple of episodes, couse the feel of the show is so cheap)
FireFly was the best new scifi show in a long time, too bad fox didn't realize this
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex was just crap!!!! the two films were absolutely brilliant, best anime i'v ever seen
Star Trek just boring (no matter what spinoff, except for enterprise which was kinda good)
Torchwood never heard off

I couldn't Agree/Disagree with you any more big_smile

Re: New to Stargate

Hr. Ulottuvuus wrote:

Star Trek just boring (no matter what spinoff, except for enterprise which was kinda good)

lol, good one, enterprise was the weakest spinoff of all star trek series, Star Trek TNG and Voyager were the best.
Star Trek just boring? Couldn't disagree with you more.

http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=Watchlist&kk=276008292d78a1f619f8bbc10840767b