Re: Season 1 Premiere

After watching the second episode i'm still a little disappointed in Dollhouse. I think the overall concept has a certain potential which unfortunately doesn't come across (yet?). Hopefully some real story develops over the next few episodes. After watching the pilot i already had the feeling that i knew the outcome of the first season.
Joss Whedon can do better! wink

In all fairness, how could this series of ever been more than standalone episodes with very small twinges of a season story through out them all. Every episode she gets a new "imprint". Only at the end of the second episode have we seen something different.
I'm finding the story line of Alpha much more interesting than Echo's (Eliza Dushku is very dull in this), and that's not saying much really. Hopefully we'll find out more before it gets cancelled! They need to cross paths...

Whedon can do better indeed!

yikes
http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=CurrentWatchlist&kk=c7a3e8c361aa2596859d8df3f4f10c1dhttp://next-episode.net/img/ne-link.pnghttp://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=c7a3e8c361aa2596859d8df3f4f10c1d
big_smile

Eliza Dushku doesn't srike me as an actress who can handle all the different imprints. Watching her being chased through the woods in episode two, i don't know... it just wasn't that authentic. And the negotiator role she assumend in the pilot wasn't very convincing either.

I give it some more eps. I really don't know why almost everyone is complaining. I actuall thought the second epsode revealed and explained alot. There were far mor shows out there where it took a whole season to find out what the storyline is about. Here we know we have Alpha and Echo and of course they will cross paths sooner or later. And actually I think the whole imprint idea is nice for the random viewer, but at the end of ep two we see more than in ep one that her memory isn't wiped completely. So we certainly see character evolvement from her. And finally I think Eliza can pull it off to play different roles. Gardner in Alias - who had kinda the same job - also took some time to adjust wink

https://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=f2f78bbc2ae515f1a55746f794066001

55 (edited by caruthers 2009-02-23 05:29:53)

I think the problem here BlackBox is that we all expect a lot more from Joss and that leads to disappointment - but having said that I, like you, quite liked episode two, and it certainly didn't turn me off wanting to watch next week. If the improvement curve continues then perhaps we will have a good series by episode 5 or 6, I just hope the network doesn't get cold feet and pull it.

Anyone else notice that Joss's Firefly (which kicked ass) is a lot like COWBOY BEBOP (a fave anime) and this new Dollhouse is way too similar to GHOST IN THE SHELL. 

I do admit i have high hopes for Whedons work but I really was expecting something a little better then this.... I'll still keep watching though, hope'n for the best.

There is something though that's kinda missing. Humour. Joss's stuff usually has a lot of it. This has only sprinkles of it.

i have to say that the second episode was really good.
at least better than the first one, what was a good too.
but Changer is right, more humor would be nice.

I really liked the 2nd ep, it had my attention throughout. I'm quite disappointed with people's attitudes, just because JW has done stuff that everyone liked better in the past doesn't mean you shouldn't give this a chance. Yes it's not JW Buffy/Angel/Firefly standard, but so what? It's waaaaaay better than some of the other crap on TV and it should be given a chance without having the cloud of past shows hanging over it. Everyone's attitudes is what's gona get it cancelled and I will be so disappointed if that happens!

The only Joss Whedon thing I've seen so far was Dr. Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog and I still hated Dollhouse.

singyourownkindofmusic
makeyourownspecialsong

http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=33cc75956e8bff5be75e9600e1e43faa

John Locke wrote:

The only Joss Whedon thing I've seen so far was Dr. Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog and I still hated Dollhouse.

You probably need to watch some more Whedon, in that case..... Because that's just wrong...

Speaking of Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, i just realized that this show is missing in the N-E database.
It's only a mini-series with three episodes but i thought it was fun wink

TV.com link: http://www.tv.com/dr.-horribles-sing-al … mmary.html

Or do i need to fill out that request form?

maens wrote:

Speaking of Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, i just realized that this show is missing in the N-E database.
It's only a mini-series with three episodes but i thought it was fun wink

TV.com link: http://www.tv.com/dr.-horribles-sing-al … mmary.html

Or do i need to fill out that request form?

Personally I wouldn't have though the site bothered with one off mini-series....... it was fun but.............why bother?

I think ep2 was slightly better, i'm going to continue watching this.

65 (edited by sc1982 2009-02-25 22:00:23)

I was reading Ask Aussiello and found a bit about Dollhouse:

"I have mixed feelings about Dollhouse. My biggest complaint is the complete and utter lack of humor. Where's the Whedonesque ha-ha we've all come to depend on? And when I am laughing, I don't think I'm supposed to be. For instance, Eliza Dushku as a ball-busting hostage negotiator? Highlarious. And I may be in the minority here, but I find the Topher "I'm the lovable, quirky one" Brink character to be unbearable. The only thing I find relatable about him is his taste in sweater vests. Despite all this, I'm four episodes in and I can't wait for No. 5. Go figure."

Similar complaints as everyone else here but sounding like it gets much better... so stick with it people!

(And by the way, I totally love Topher! I don't know what he's talking about there...!)

That's it... no more Dollhouse for me. 3rd ep was so boring that I couldn't even finish it. This show officially sucks ass...

...where did I put that rat's ass I could give?

Daemons are benevolent or benign nature spirits, beings of the same nature as both mortals and gods, similar to ghosts, chthonic heroes, spirit guides, forces of nature or the gods themselves.

agreed

I Am The Inevitable Conclusion Of My Past

I kind of liked this episode... starting to get what the show is about... I think that Echo is soon going to start remembering her old life, and she's going to want to break out.

Still miss the Whedon-humor though....

Im kinda hoping the first 3 epps have been like a cover for a whole underground thing. At the end of ep 3 the little frighted nod that Echo gives to Seira I just hope we have some big revelations in the next 2 epps. if its just this then it sucks ass.

Feck this show... if it needs more than 3 episodes to catch you, it sucks...

Daemons are benevolent or benign nature spirits, beings of the same nature as both mortals and gods, similar to ghosts, chthonic heroes, spirit guides, forces of nature or the gods themselves.

Maybe the reason is that I never have been a fan of Joss... Buffy movie is good, the show was ok for a few seasons, but then again so was The Power Rangers when I was a kid...

Maull wrote:

Im kinda hoping the first 3 epps have been like a cover for a whole underground thing. At the end of ep 3 the little frighted nod that Echo gives to Seira I just hope we have some big revelations in the next 2 epps. if its just this then it sucks ass.

Seamed like Sierra and Echo will secretly take down the Dollhouse, together... or something like that...

Daemonius wrote:

Maybe the reason is that I never have been a fan of Joss... Buffy movie is good, the show was ok for a few seasons, but then again so was The Power Rangers when I was a kid...

Wow, you liked the Buffy movie? Well then, I'm starting to understand now...

The third ep story line was weird and I thought they could've made the Echo evolvement different and better. And the frame story line with Helo is also too slow. They should speed it up or it is too late for the average audience.

https://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=f2f78bbc2ae515f1a55746f794066001

I really liked the third ep. I wasn't too keen after the first two, but now I'm really looking forward to the next episode. Could use some more ass-kicking though.