1 (edited by paisley1 2024-04-18 04:07:47)

Topic: Sugar [Drama, AppleTV+]

Sugar | Next-Episode Show Page

https://is1-ssl.mzstatic.com/image/thumb/9VLn6zZ8PIpOo0cYgGcDdw/3358x1889sr.webp

Los Angeles-based, contemporary take on the private detective story starring Colin Farrell as John Sugar.

Airs on AppleTV+

2 (edited by paisley1 2024-04-18 03:56:30)

Re: Sugar [Drama, AppleTV+]

It feels very old school Hollywood, throw back, nostalgic even, it's ok, I'm interested to see where it goes.

3

Re: Sugar [Drama, AppleTV+]

Yes, it does have a sort of classic charm.

4 (edited by Bananijoe 2024-04-21 20:09:44)

Re: Sugar [Drama, AppleTV+]

wasn't sure - really, trailer did not hook me...

But i am in E03 and its ok, sometimes even good big_smile
You see (hear) a lot Bogart?Marlowe?Max Payne?-style "Private Eye Monologues" and they try -a little bit too hard by my taste- to induce a classic-noir-style-feeling with lens distortions, weird camera angles, weird fast-picture-flicker-clippings & repeatings and many many overlays of classic B/W-movie-scenes.

But the PI-Plot seems solid:
The main character is
- over-cool
- over-competent
- and has an over-insane budget
so its a modern noir-glamour-dick-fun - yes he is rather high-tech 007-style smile
... maybe it becomes even more than a simple PI-story?
(Some scenes frequently are to boring/uninteresting - you might skip them and it seems you dont miss much, which is a bad sign - but its not that often, so it seems ok smile)

Its fun, nothing special but defiantly worth a watch - simple entertainment...

5 (edited by paisley1 2024-04-22 04:39:35)

Re: Sugar [Drama, AppleTV+]

After 103, my working theory was...

Spoiler

...the grandfather hired Sugar not just to find the granddaughter but to get to Ruby (his handler) somehow knowing she's apart of the human trafficking and a larger criminal enterprise, but then in 104 he died of a heart attack, so I dunno.

Also, I like that they created fake movies and fake actresses that felt real.

Fun fact, Olivia Siegel is played by Kyle Chandler's daughter, Sydney Chandler.

Love the filming, really well done.

6 (edited by paisley1 2024-05-06 00:22:08)

Re: Sugar [Drama, AppleTV+]

106...

Spoiler

So, grandpa not dead, and kinda knew Ruby knows some bad stuff about human trafficking and is unable/unwilling to tell Sugar, but what about the ending to 106, hallucination or aliens?  Please be aliens. big_smile

7

Re: Sugar [Drama, AppleTV+]

paisley1 wrote:

106...

Spoiler

So, grandpa not dead, and kinda knew Ruby knows some bad stuff about human trafficking and is unable/unwilling to tell Sugar, but what about the ending to 106, hallucination or aliens?  Please be aliens. big_smile

Certainly could go in an interesting direction if that is the case, I didn't see that coming.

8 (edited by paisley1 2024-05-07 01:23:59)

Re: Sugar [Drama, AppleTV+]

colinsp wrote:
paisley1 wrote:

106...

Spoiler

So, grandpa not dead, and kinda knew Ruby knows some bad stuff about human trafficking and is unable/unwilling to tell Sugar, but what about the ending to 106, hallucination or aliens?  Please be aliens. big_smile

Certainly could go in an interesting direction if that is the case, I didn't see that coming.

Ya, me neither.  It's a whole new angle/point of view, and it does explain a lot, like his fake mom and conspicuous past, the show is great without it, but to me it just makes everything better.  I was wondering....

Spoiler

...how the hell he took an entire knife blade straight through vital organs and didn't die and managed to drive to the hotel, get patched up, and then get up and go to Ruby's place alive, at which point I was saying, "this is really phony" but then it turned into Resident Alien, and I was like, "well that explains it, lolz."  Might also explain why he didn't sleep with Holly and has a deep sense of compassion for the dog, the homeless man, and Olivia.

9

Re: Sugar [Drama, AppleTV+]

paisley1 wrote:
Spoiler

...how the hell he took an entire knife blade straight through vital organs and didn't die and managed to drive to the hotel, get patched up, and then get up and go to Ruby's place alive, at which point I was saying, "this is really phony" but then it turned into Resident Alien, and I was like, "well that explains it, lolz."  Might also explain why he didn't sleep with Holly and has a deep sense of compassion for the dog, the homeless man, and Olivia.

Spoiler

also explains why he avoided the hospital like the plague, why henry locked the door and sent melanie away for the operation and why he had a weird blood to transfuse.

oh and also why he doesn't get drunk.

seems like a lot of evidence to support the show actually did go full resident evil

10 (edited by Wizard 2024-05-08 15:22:23)

Re: Sugar [Drama, AppleTV+]

I feel kind of ripped off.

Spoiler

I mean, you had a classic super detective and then you tuen him into an alien?

Give me a break...


ADMIN EDIT: Added Spoiler tags

11

Re: Sugar [Drama, AppleTV+]

This probably should be in a spoiler tag

12 (edited by paisley1 2024-05-20 17:08:38)

Re: Sugar [Drama, AppleTV+]

107...

Spoiler

Now that the aliens out of the saucer, it's totally changed my perspective on everything, however, it doesn't make a lot of sense that some rich people could really do anything to shapeshifting aliens, and that technology doesn't exist that could quickly stop/suppress their secret from getting out.

13

Re: Sugar [Drama, AppleTV+]

Nice that it resolves but could potentially have a season 2 (which i'd skip).

14

Re: Sugar [Drama, AppleTV+]

mrverene wrote:

Nice that it resolves but could potentially have a season 2 (which i'd skip).

+1

15

Re: Sugar [Drama, AppleTV+]

no recommendation from me - its just not good or actually very close to "bad"

If you long for spaghetti, and the same time for ice cream and churros?
... normally you decide to eat spaghetti and then have one or two desserts big_smile

But these writers put the churros and the ice cream into the spaghetti ... well, the result is rather obvious....

16

Re: Sugar [Drama, AppleTV+]

Bananijoe wrote:

no recommendation from me - its just not good or actually very close to "bad"

If you long for spaghetti, and the same time for ice cream and churros?
... normally you decide to eat spaghetti and then have one or two desserts big_smile

But these writers put the churros and the ice cream into the spaghetti ... well, the result is rather obvious....

Somehow this comment just reminds me of that scene with Joey from Friends: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSFgDZJVYbo

"What's not to like? Spaghetti? Good! Ice cream? Good! Churros? Good!" big_smile