1 (edited by lighton 2024-02-18 13:01:02)

Topic: House of Ninjas [Netflix JP: Drama / Spy / Martial Art]

https://next-episode.net/house-of-ninjas

https://static.next-episode.net/tv-shows-images/huge/house-of-ninjas.jpg

Set in modern Japan, this series tells the story of the Tawara family, the last ninja family that had abandoned its roots after a certain incident in the past, who must take on the greatest crisis in Japanese history that threatens to shake the nation to its core.

Alternative summaries

Netflix
Years after retiring from their formidable ninja lives, a dysfunctional family must return to shadowy missions to counteract a string of looming threats.

IMDB/Amazon
The Tawara family, the last ninja clan. It had abandoned its roots after an incident in the past, but now the family must take on the greatest crisis in Japanese history, one that threatens to shake the nation to its core.

Alternative images

Spoiler

Netflix
https://occ-0-4419-4420.1.nflxso.net/dnm/api/v6/6AYY37jfdO6hpXcMjf9Yu5cnmO0/AAAABUDUiTMKo9y6KSeMPbqP627ypToo_Jt_8HaeljsGpjpdKNoP1EdLWt0orDjsD2gyqkTOA-C01EJvO5WX7E7sLtloKwtzdbk10Xa8.jpg?r=8eb

TVDB
https://artworks.thetvdb.com/banners/v4/series/424542/posters/65aa9f16b1562.jpg

Trailer
Season 1, official trailer 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaDl_i80PYU

2 (edited by Bananijoe 2024-02-18 13:19:26)

Re: House of Ninjas [Netflix JP: Drama / Spy / Martial Art]

Hah! I read "House of Ninjas" and thought... well you might imagine what i thought :-) And 'no' there weren't many or even any expectations, but definitely a slightly raised eyebrow...

The trailer hinted that the show might be technically well made, but was still inconclusive...
I often have the experience, that titles or trailers can be really really deceiving sometimes, and so i always take a look at the first 1-3 episodes, if i am not sure how the show really might be.

And what a really nice surprise!
"House of Ninjas" is not a "top-notch" show, but it's well above average and not at all what you might expect, when you read the title!

So what is this show?

It's a bit of "the incredibles" as japanese shinobi (not ninja! mind smile) because this is a story of a family that lives a secret "super-hero"-shinobi life, with grandma, kid and cat.
Also there is a hint of 007, with a villain-protection-mission and some sprinkles of romance and family drama enveloped by lots of secrets... and as already said: there is grandma cool

And is it well made? I would say: Yes indeed smile

Martial art is frequent but altogether not (too) much, but i would say its choreography seems good, some even very good and its not that unrealistic - mostly good moves, technique and footwork, so i rate it more on the "high-end"-side.
You will not see magic-martial-arts.

And the really unexpected part:
You get rather deep and well made characters with good acting. Yes - the plot is strange at first, but is well developed, makes sense fast and is rather well written.

Spoiler

... and you even get a "super"-villain, with an own "evil"-genius-lair and a Bond-style villain-plot

Script, camera, sound, music and cut are mostly really good and always above average, the budget was obviously not to small.
Acting, dialogues, drama, light, directing, costumes and makeup are even better. There is even a sprinkled hint of frequents and fairly dry humor - i really liked it.

Thanks, added. smile I've also unspoilered the trailer in your post, cleaned up the trailer URL, checked if it's country-blocked and then sent the URL to santah so it can be added to the show page.

lol ... was still writing, thanks!

I loved it! I hope Netflix picks up a season 2. So many questions. Is you know who truly a bad guy and the black cat. They show it too much not to be important. It looks different. The false scroll had a large black cat painting in it. In a lot of Asian mythologies some animals are actually gods or helpers or demons. And we have the Demon Gate, making me think this will take a mythological turn.

These seem to be really terrible ninjas though. I can see them the whole time.

mrverene wrote:

These seem to be really terrible ninjas though. I can see them the whole time.

Ninja Parade Slips By Town Unnoticed Once Again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtR2m20C2YM

cool

yeah, grandma would not be amused ... all 3rd graders, if at all big_smile

Ok my favorite bit so far is the guy doing the quick ninja step run in khakis. just looks hilarious that way

10 (edited by Bananijoe 2024-02-21 19:50:55)

scushman wrote:

I loved it! I hope Netflix picks up a season 2. So many questions. Is you know who truly a bad guy and the black cat. They show it too much not to be important. It looks different. The false scroll had a large black cat painting in it. In a lot of Asian mythologies some animals are actually gods or helpers or demons. And we have the Demon Gate, making me think this will take a mythological turn.

Good questions, i asked myself the same... hopefully there is a season 2 and we might get answers smile
... and who are certain  "red newcomers" or do we see a certain "civilian" again ?

mrverene wrote:

Ok my favorite bit so far is the guy doing the quick ninja step run in khakis. just looks hilarious that way

Which ep / timestamp is that?

Bananijoe wrote:
scushman wrote:

Good questions, i asked myself the same... hopefully there is a season 2 and we might get answers smile
... and who are certain  "red newcomers" or do we see a certain "civilian" again ?

mrverene wrote:

Which ep / timestamp is that?

ep 4, idk timestamp

Spoiler

it's right after the dad gets the pigeon and learns about the big fight

^^ a yeah, great one!