Topic: The Gentlemen

https://next-episode.net/the-gentlemen

https://static.next-episode.net/tv-shows-images/huge/the-gentlemen.jpg

A TV series based on the Guy Ritchie film of the same name.

It follows Eddie Halstead, who has inherited his father's sizeable estate only to discover that it's sitting on top of a weed empire owned by the legendary Mickey Pearson. Has this straight-up soldier got what it takes to master the dark arts of the British criminal underworld and take control of the entire operation?

Re: The Gentlemen

I've enjoyed the movie and hope the show will also be good! smile

3 (edited by Bananijoe 2024-03-06 19:25:23)

tried the movie several times, though i wanted to see an appeal, i could not get it - quite the contrary actually: it REALLY annoyed me and i had to turn it off yikes

... so i really hope this is waaaaay better then the movie, or rather - completely different and really good big_smile

i only sometimes get "warm" or partly "warm" with Guy Ritchie, and since he involved her... i am really uncertain but curious smile

Sometimes a (particular) movie just isn't what you need at the time! big_smile

hear, hear! ^^
... but i tried it 3 or 4 times with sometimes weeks in between, suggests a somewhat strong incompatibility big_smile

It does! lol

puh... mid ep2 and its ok-good so far - defiantly nothing great, but defiantly lots of absurd -some nicely absurd smile

movie seems very different if i remember correctly - well didn't see much of it big_smile

I haven't seen the movie. Should I do that before trying out the series?

9 (edited by Bananijoe 2024-03-13 23:26:57)

series plot is very clear with a distinct start - so i dont see any need for the movie to be known... i dont know the movie and have no series-questions at all big_smile
anyone disagreeing?

addendum:
so what is "The Gentlemen" like?
ep1+2 were directed by Guy Ritchie and set the tone, as described above, if you like them you probably like the rest.
ep3-5 are slightly slower, slightly more mediocre but ok
ep6-8 have a slightly rise in tempo and interestingness, but even the finale is... mediocre at best

In general the series is ok but rather mediocre, many might find it a bit boring, i settle for a personal weak 3.5★ rating (thats a 2★ rating here on next-episode).
Its technically well done, acting is ok-good, dialogues are ok, plot is mixed and could be better.
Downside: No humor, no real action, no suspense, nothing for me to watch it a second time - nothing special at all... with a lot of potential unmet...

So its ok entertainment smile

Watched 1x1. WOW! yikes Started slower than expected and ended way more intense than expected! big_smile

8/10 so far.

Yeah, I watched the whole thing. It ended up being very enjoyable. Great cast of character with good chemistry.

Such a great show with fantastic reviews, I honestly thought it would be picked up for a new season. Anyone know why it was cancelled so prematurely?

krazykatdad wrote:

Such a great show with fantastic reviews, I honestly thought it would be picked up for a new season. Anyone know why it was cancelled so prematurely?

I didn't read anything specific, but probably Netflix didn't get the viewership it expected for the budget invested, and thus gave up on the show.

I thought the film was ok, typical Guy Richie fair, but I'm really enjoying the series.

As far as I can tell Netflix have yet to rule either way on series 2.

2020.  Meh.

graybags wrote:

As far as I can tell Netflix have yet to rule either way on series 2.

Interesting... Yes, according to what I could find right now, santah needs to revive the show (status).

16 (edited by Bananijoe 2024-03-17 13:58:41)

i encountered a lot of shows that ended in the last 3-4 months, that switched fast to the status "Canceled/Ended" - but in reality their status is/was unknown ...

It was set ended on both thetvdb and tvmaze I believe (and now it's not).

From what I gather - it's still unclear but based purely on its popularity - seems likely that it'll be picked up for another season so ok, resurrecting it now!

Bananijoe wrote:

i encountered a lot of shows that ended in the last 3-4 months, that switched fast to the status "Canceled/Ended" - but in reality their status is/was unknown ...

Oh? I suggest you let santah know then - almost all "Canceled/Ended" where I bothered to check, I was able to confirm it with Google. (And I told santah about the rest. cool)

I think this is my favourite show of the year so far! I really enjoyed it.

The movie has virtually nothing in common with the TV series, you do not need to have seen the movie at all.

As a few people have said, the first episode is mostly set up (but still enjoyable) then it gets going.

I have just finished this series and really enjoyed it, some great plot twists. Not as good as Slow Horses but not far off. Hopefully it will have a second series.

colinsp wrote:

I have just finished this series and really enjoyed it, some great plot twists. Not as good as Slow Horses but not far off. Hopefully it will have a second series.

For some reason I found myself comparing it to Slow Horses too, and I agree with you.

2020.  Meh.

graybags wrote:
colinsp wrote:

For some reason I found myself comparing it to Slow Horses too, and I agree with you.

I just finished season 1 and also have to agree!

A solid 8/10 for me. I hope they come up with new fun ideas and renew the show. smile