1 (edited by paisley1 2023-09-08 23:27:55)

Topic: 12 Angry Men

12 Angry Men | IMDB

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BODQwOTc5MDM2N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODQxNTEzNA@@._V1_.jpg

Release Date: 1957
Genre: Drama

The jury in a New York City murder trial is frustrated by a single member whose skeptical caution forces them to more carefully consider the evidence before jumping to a hasty verdict.

Thanks Lighton! wink

2 (edited by merc 2023-09-07 15:41:47)

Re: 12 Angry Men

no longer angry lol. just gets the blood going which Foundation does not!

lighton wrote:
xxFelixDCatxx wrote:

This is the kinda show that gets a 9/10 or even full 10/10 from me.

Watched through all eps at least 3 times now and am considering a 4th.

I love how much you love the show! big_smile (IIRC I never watched any show more than twice. And hardly any show more than once.)

xxFelixDCatxx wrote:

Those books are for fans of 12 Angry Men, and I'm talking about the original 50s movie.

Hey, 12 Angry Men (1957) is a great movie! smile (I won't watch the 1997 TV movie version, but I really like how 'old' the trailer looks. smile )

xxFelixDCatxx wrote:

Between this and Wheel of Time, I had never been more excited to see my beloved books come to life since the Harry Potter movies were still coming out.

Too bad WoT was a complete dud.

Interesting... I've enjoyed https://next-episode.net/the-wheel-of-time about as much as Foundation, albeit for completely different reasons.

I like the idea of watching Foundation a second time, but I'm not sure I'll be willing to spend the time needed... We'll see. smile

....You never watch a show more than once? I think it's cause I'm super picky about what I'll watch, and have pretty selective taste. So I basically have to rewatch stuff or watch nothing at all. I guess watch is a strong word for what I do on repeat watchings. I usually have something on that I'll half pay attention to as background noise while working from home.

12 Angry men is a great movie! It's not great for the ADHD 'general public' crowd though which consumes reality TV and TikTok videos more regularly than actual media with a story.

Really kinda disappointed with Season 2, it's been super slow honestly. I still very much like the show. Anything SciFi generally gets my jimmies tingling.

The only thing wrong with "12 Angry Men" is that they got the verdict wrong they let a killer walk . in particular dismissing the womans claim as she wore glasses and "no one wears glasses to bed" well I do often fall asleep with them on!

5 (edited by xxFelixDCatxx 2023-09-06 16:42:11)

merc wrote:

The only thing wrong with "12 Angry Men" is that they got the verdict wrong they let a killer walk . in particular dismissing the womans claim as she wore glasses and "no one wears glasses to bed" well I do often fall asleep with them on!

And she didn't counter by saying she actually had her glasses on. In fact it was a major plot point that she did not in fact have glasses on at the time.

The movie was more about prejudice, which was super significant in 1957, but seems to be alive today, especially if you can state with such certainty that he did it just based on that plot point.

6 (edited by merc 2023-09-06 17:19:03)

xxFelixDCatxx wrote:
merc wrote:

And she didn't counter by saying she actually had her glasses on. In fact it was a major plot point that she did not in fact have glasses on at the time.

The movie was more about prejudice, which was super significant in 1957, but seems to be alive today, especially if you can state with such certainty that he did it just based on that plot point.

it was all about maybe and possiibilities the same way that Georgeo Tsoulkas does it on his  Ancient Aliens show but there to prove a point rather than undermine. Who else would have knifed the father in his own home where there had been no robbery? The young guy was just lucky to have a bleeding heart clever dick liberal to weave a web of doubts, dealing as he was with mainly uneducated fellow jurers who had their own personal flaws lol Retitle the film "11 Stupid Men and one Clever Dude" Tbe  conclusion should have been we all know he did it  but we cannot convict him on the evidence

merc wrote:
xxFelixDCatxx wrote:
merc wrote:

it was all about maybe and possibilities the same way that Georgeo Tsoulkas does it on his  Ancient Aliens show but there to prove a point rather than undermine. Who else would have knifed the father in his own home where there had been no robbery?

His father was abusive to the boy, yes, but it's also heavily implied that the father wasn't a good person overall. So who knows who else could have been motivated to kill him.

The whole point of it was that there is reasonable doubt. The two witnesses are completely unreliable, one claiming he heard specifics of the argument as a train was passing by the building, and the other claiming she saw the whole thing through the windows of the train as it passed. They proved that the noise was too loud for the argument to have been heard clearly, and the lady wore glasses which she did not wear to bed. And I as a former glasses wearer (Lasik) never once wore mine to bed, the metal frame pressing against the face would have been too uncomfortable, not to mention the nosepads digging in. And again, the witness looked sheepish and didn't deny it when called out that she wouldn't have been wearing glasses.

The stab wounds being at a downward angle indicated he was stabbed by someone taller than his son, who was shorter than him too.

My point stands. If your take away from that movie is they made a mistake and let a killer go, then you missed the point of the movie entirely, and I hope you're never involved in the justice system.

8 (edited by merc 2023-09-06 17:29:44)

xxFelixDCatxx wrote:

My point stands. If your take away from that movie is they made a mistake and let a killer go, then you missed the point of the movie entirely, and I hope you're never involved in the justice system.

yep the point of the movie was all wrong it was glorifying the American legal system how even the dumbest can get it right given a little help. God Bless America! The Land of the Free! The film is a relic of the past. You notice they were all white?

merc, when you watch a movie like 12 Angry Men or a show like this one, do you pay full attention or do you use it as background entertainment?

10 (edited by merc 2023-09-06 17:34:43)

lighton wrote:

merc, when you watch a movie like 12 Angry Men or a show like this one, do you pay full attention or do you use it as background entertainment?

I usually watch the shows more than once unlike some here, maybe you?. Foundation I will leave until  this season is over

merc wrote:
lighton wrote:

I usually watch the shows more than once. Foundation I will leave until  this season is over

Okay. But do you pay full attention?

lighton wrote:
merc wrote:
lighton wrote:

I usually watch the shows more than once. Foundation I will leave until  this season is over

so just becuase I do not come to the same conclusions as you I must be not paying attention? says it all?

merc wrote:
lighton wrote:
merc wrote:
lighton wrote:

so just becuase I do not come to the same conclusions as you I must be not paying attention? says it all?

I didn't say "must" - I just wondered if that might be why. A friend of mine said Fight Club is a bad movie that makes no sense. When I asked him about it he said he wasn't really paying attention - and when he watched it again, paying full attention, he loved it!

merc wrote:
xxFelixDCatxx wrote:

yep the point of the movie was all wrong it was glorifying the American legal system how even the dumbest can get it right given a little help. God Bless America! The Land of the Free! The film is a relic of the past. You notice they were all white?

Glorifying the American legal system? You're injecting your own politics into that if that's your conclusion as well.

It was made in 1957 and is an excellent showing of how the legal system is supposed to work. Having taken law classes and having an appreciation for law, it perfectly shows the ethical maxim, "Better 10 guilty men go free than 1 innocent man be punished." Which is the cornerstone of the standard of evidence required to convict someone of a crime in literally all Western systems of law. If you dislike or disagree with this statement I want you to imagine yourself as the one on trial.

How people react to this movie is an excellent showcase of who a person is btw. The fact that you're morally okay with sentencing that kid to the electric chair based on that flimsy evidence speaks to who you are as a person.

15 (edited by TheFizza 2023-10-04 09:33:02)

Has anyone seen the remake?

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMjE5NTAyNDU4NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODQxMzgwMzE@._V1_.jpg
12 Angry Men [1997]

https://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=fe18e3ede310c4d0ddb3af64211e19ec

nope. some films/series should never be remade? Bilko? Flight of the Phoenix? This is one of them