1

Topic: 1899 [Drama, Mystery, Horror]

https://next-episode.net/1899

https://static.next-episode.net/tv-shows-images/huge/1899.jpg

1899 revolves around a migrant steamship heading west to leave the old continent from London to New York. People from many different countries are on board. The passengers are united by their hopes and dreams for the new century and their future abroad but when they discover another migrant ship adrift on open sea, their journey takes an unexpected turn.

2

Re: 1899 [Drama, Mystery, Horror]

I was a bit skeptical at first, but this is one of the better Netflix shows! By episode 1x5 I'm fully hooked now. big_smile

I love that every episode answers some questions and brings up new questions, only this one goof in 1x5 is a bit too much for my taste:

Spoiler

People jump over board so quickly that the whole ship would be empty in about ONE minute - but clearly the story goes on and on for much longer than that, and people continue to jump...

3

Re: 1899 [Drama, Mystery, Horror]

For me it was another show that was fine,but I just didn't care enough to keep.

4

Re: 1899 [Drama, Mystery, Horror]

I really, really liked it! I give it 8.4/10. I loved to not binge it but to contemplate what was happening between the episode. So many twists and turns... Not your typical show!

The show's creators are so creative, I hope it'll get another season. smile

5

Re: 1899 [Drama, Mystery, Horror]

Sad news. sad

Netflix's '1899' mysteriously cancelled after just one season
https://mashable.com/article/netflix-1899-cancelled

6

Re: 1899 [Drama, Mystery, Horror]

lighton wrote:

Sad news. sad

Netflix's '1899' mysteriously cancelled after just one season
https://mashable.com/article/netflix-1899-cancelled

That is so typical! I JUST started watching it and really like the concept. Like to take my time and take it all in.... But those who have watched it - and liked it: Should I keep going (just finished episode 2) - or is the endring of Season 1 too ... unsetisfactory?

7

Re: 1899 [Drama, Mystery, Horror]

svada007_1 wrote:

That is so typical! I JUST started watching it and really like the concept. Like to take my time and take it all in.... But those who have watched it - and liked it: Should I keep going (just finished episode 2) - or is the endring of Season 1 too ... unsetisfactory?

It ends as if they already feared they could be a victim of "one season and over" - the ending leaves room for more seasons, but also totally works as a show finale.

8

Re: 1899 [Drama, Mystery, Horror]

No no no no no no no!  Noooooooooo!  Unbelivable, first show I've binged and liked alot for a while and it's canned.

2020.  Meh.

9

Re: 1899 [Drama, Mystery, Horror]

Interesting the comments here on 1899 I started to watch it I did episode one and then part way through episode 2 I gave it up, it was not for me I found it tedious viewing. Just shows that we all like different things in TV shows.

10 (edited by svada007_1 2023-01-04 07:53:23)

Re: 1899 [Drama, Mystery, Horror]

OK, thanks, might give it a few more episodes then.

lighton wrote:
svada007_1 wrote:

That is so typical! I JUST started watching it and really like the concept. Like to take my time and take it all in.... But those who have watched it - and liked it: Should I keep going (just finished episode 2) - or is the endring of Season 1 too ... unsetisfactory?

It ends as if they already feared they could be a victim of "one season and over" - the ending leaves room for more seasons, but also totally works as a show finale.

11 (edited by merc 2023-01-06 02:39:45)

Re: 1899 [Drama, Mystery, Horror]

why cancelled? According to the UK Telegraph

To solve the puzzle of 1899’s cancellation it is necessary to look beyond aesthetics and dig into the numbers. Because while subscribers watched a pretty whopping 257 million hours of 1899, a mere 32 per cent made it through the entire eight-episode season (according to figures by UK data analytics company Digital i). Compare that with the 80 per cent who completed the mega-hit Squid Game, the 73 per cent who got through Heartstopper or the 60 per cent who binged steampunk animation Arcane, and it’s no mystery that 1899 found itself in the danger zone..... completion rates matter to Netflix more than top-of-the-line viewing figures...... why Netflix is so obsessed with completion rates. One theory is that viewers who watch a series all the way through are more likely to renew their subscription – which is all Netflix ultimately cares about.

12

Re: 1899 [Drama, Mystery, Horror]

merc wrote:

why cancelled? According to the UK Telegraph

To solve the puzzle of 1899’s cancellation it is necessary to look beyond aesthetics and dig into the numbers. Because while subscribers watched a pretty whopping 257 million hours of 1899, a mere 32 per cent made it through the entire eight-episode season (according to figures by UK data analytics company Digital i). Compare that with the 80 per cent who completed the mega-hit Squid Game, the 73 per cent who got through Heartstopper or the 60 per cent who binged steampunk animation Arcane, and it’s no mystery that 1899 found itself in the danger zone..... completion rates matter to Netflix more than top-of-the-line viewing figures...... why Netflix is so obsessed with completion rates. One theory is that viewers who watch a series all the way through are more likely to renew their subscription – which is all Netflix ultimately cares about.

Interesting, thanks for sharing! Yeah, they sure didn't cater to the instant gratification crowd... cool This is one of those very rare shows that gets better and better.

I had zero doubts that some viewers will give up (too) early, but that only 32 % made it through the entire season? Damn!

13

Re: 1899 [Drama, Mystery, Horror]

Dident know that 1899 was made by the creators of Dark, if Netflix could actually properly promote it and wrote that in the show description (why would they leave that out), i would have watched it quite a bit sooner.

https://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=Watchlist&kk=276008292d78a1f619f8bbc10840767b

14

Re: 1899 [Drama, Mystery, Horror]

HomerS wrote:

Dident know that 1899 was made by the creators of Dark, if Netflix could actually properly promote it and wrote that in the show description (why would they leave that out), i would have watched it quite a bit sooner.

Funny, that was it's main selling point.  Crazy that it got cancelled in my opinion.

2020.  Meh.