Re: Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

You can tell the writers are on strike as the story is one that has been done by Star Trek before.

colinsp wrote:

You can tell the writers are on strike as the story is one that has been done by Star Trek before.

Filming for the sixth episode, which was directed by Dan Liu, began by the week of April 11, 2022, and the strike on May 2, 2023, so you can't blame the writers strike. cool

I don't mind a story being told more than once, if it's done well. Haven't watched 2x6 yet.

I'm curious about the upcoming Lower Decks crossover episode, but I really hope the upcoming musical episode will be good! big_smile
https://www.gamesradar.com/star-trek-st … -rhapsody/

This seems to be a screenshot from that episode. smile

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMGFhMWY0YzItNTI5Ni00NWY1LWExOTQtOGQxNGFjZDRjYWZkXkEyXkFqcGdeQWRvb2xpbmhk._V1._SX600_SY600_.jpg

https://next-episode.net/the-magicians delivered a wonderful musical episode, so there's hope.

I'm 10 mins in and I'm dying inside with the crossover episode. This is a reddit-tier attempt at metahumor. Please for the love of God, let it end in flames.

155 (edited by graybags 2023-07-24 16:32:19)

Kanga wrote:

I'm 10 mins in and I'm dying inside with the crossover episode. This is a reddit-tier attempt at metahumor. Please for the love of God, let it end in flames.

Everyone here seems to rave about The Lower Decks so I tried to watch the first episode and lasted maybe 10 minutes.  And now I hear this is a crossover episode?  I can barely control myself.

***edit***

I watched it and...  I actually quite enjoyed it.  Quite clever, cartoon characters turning real.  Not sure I've seen that done in a crossover episode before.  Has it inspired me to watch The Lower Decks?  Nah.

2020.  Meh.

graybags wrote:
Kanga wrote:

Everyone here seems to rave about The Lower Decks so I tried to watch the first episode and lasted maybe 10 minutes.  And now I hear this is a crossover episode?  I can barely control myself.

***edit***

I watched it and...  I actually quite enjoyed it.  Quite clever, cartoon characters turning real.  Not sure I've seen that done in a crossover episode before.  Has it inspired me to watch The Lower Decks?  Nah.

I'm in exactly the same boat, although I never watched any lower decks.

I ended up enjoying the episode as something different but it convinced me that lower decks is not for me.

not looking forward to a cartoon, then even less to a song and dance musical . sheesh, season one was so good.

I enjoyed it (never watched Lower Decks except what appeared in this crossover episode).  But, I don't remember any musical?

This episode (seven?) was not 100% cartoon it was a cross-over witha cartoon show. Just a few animated bits. The musical episode is upcoming, number nine i think.

It was decent and a kind of fun idea, but the writing is just not good. Not in this show and not in most other shows these days either. Even when they tone down the stupid liberal politics, they still do not know how to write anything fun or interesting any longer. It is just weird stuff like the excessive "fan-girling" over older characters from Lower Decks, all the references, and all the personal drama like Spock being emotional. Spock should not be emotional. And especially not just for comical or dramatical effect. That is just pure nonsense.

The show is also called "strange new worlds" and in the last episode they even said "this is the golden age for exploration" but they are basically not exploring anything at all, they are not finding any strange new worlds. The only strange world they have visited this season, was a place they already been years ago. Where is the exploration, the scifi, the adventures?

160 (edited by TheFizza 2023-07-25 07:15:37)

Just watched the SNW/Lower Decks crossover episode… it was wild wink
And it felt as though the Ep was written by the LD writers but shot in Live-Action

https://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=fe18e3ede310c4d0ddb3af64211e19ec

161 (edited by merc 2023-07-25 07:52:26)

henerey wrote:

not looking forward to a cartoon, then even less to a song and dance musical . sheesh, season one was so good.

It worked with "Buffy the vampire slayer" some  great  tunes and music, even though the singing was rough. That will be the test. But then "Buffy"  was aways a bit whimsical. I cannot imagine what a Trek Musical would sound like. Wasn't there a Treking Song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCARADb9asE

merc wrote:
henerey wrote:

It worked with "Buffy the vampire slayer" some  great  tunes and music, even though the singing was rough. That will be the test. But then "Buffy"  was aways a bit whimsical. I cannot imagine what a Trek Musical would sound like. Wasn't there a Treking Song

The Buffy musical episode was Season 6 episode 7, so approx 140 solid, mostly well written, universe expanding, character developing episodes into the show. Nobody would mind if there were 140 strong episodes into SNW before they started with the gimmick episodes but here we are not even 20 episodes in and we are already at the second gimmick episode....

Up next, the enterprise jumps a space shark.

proteinnerd wrote:
merc wrote:
henerey wrote:

The Buffy musical episode was Season 6 episode 7, so approx 140 solid, mostly well written, universe expanding, character developing episodes into the show. Nobody would mind if there were 140 strong episodes into SNW before they started with the gimmick episodes but here we are not even 20 episodes in and we are already at the second gimmick episode....

Up next, the enterprise jumps a space shark.

"Once More With Feeling" won't ever be beaten as a musical episode in any other show, in my opinion.  Not only was it done so well, but the tunes were genuinely decent and it really progressed the story, it wasn't just done for the sake of it.

2020.  Meh.

Just to bring it back to Star Trek, Dave Cullen did a 6m28s video that roughly encompasses my thoughts on Star Trek as a franchise after this mess:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFpybTYervU

165 (edited by paisley1 2023-07-26 03:38:47)

2x7 - Those Old Scientists (TOS, the original series, lolz)

I watched this episode 4 times now.  Probably my favorite Star Trek episode.

So many great Boimler quotes:

"Disappointing Uhura would be cool, I wish I could disappoint Uhura."
"AAAhh, the portals trying to portal me."
"Captain Christopher Pike! Computer end program."
"No sharing knowledge of the future, definitely won't happen again, Worf's honor.  Dang it."
"Riker." (does the Riker sit on a saddle.)
"You know I can hear you, I'm standing right here. 
I thought the span of the room would uh..."
"Ew, the ranks on the sleeve, I dunno about that."
"For all I knew, you were dead, or stuck in a dystopian San Francisco in the middle of a riot."
"Spocks smiling now?  He just does it.  I don't like it.  It's terrifying."
"No no no, I'm not living off the grid anywhere, I thrive on the grid.  I require grid."
"Holy Q!"  "Don't yell Q, they haven't met him yet.  They had sort of a Trelane thing going on."
"You notice how slow everybody talks?  And quietly."

I'd want this to be a regular part of the series.  Lower Decks is the best.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.startrek.com%2Fsites%2Fdefault%2Ffiles%2Fimages%2F2023-05%2Fsnw_207_mg_0503_0267_rt.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=28482c66bdda59759e09be1f3230ef300ddd13956bf853ea596ad88a8ae1f6e6&ipo=images

With Jack Quaid, I'm always playing a game of "who does he look more like, Dennis Quaid or Meg Ryan?"

paisley1 wrote:

Out of what, the entire Star Trek universe or just this crap?

2020.  Meh.

having a musical eps in such a short season is proof that they just do not know what they are doing, bereft of ideas?

merc wrote:

having a musical eps in such a short season is proof that they just do not know what they are doing, bereft of ideas?

Yeah, I've come to that conclusion as well.

1.Turn Spock human episode
2.Cartoon cross-over episode
3.Musical episode

3 gimmick episodes in the second season!

I just don't think they have any overall direction for the show or they would still be developing characters, not resorting to cheap gimmicks to fill a season.

It is such a shame, the set design is great, I quite like the cast and the acting is fine. It's turning into the epitome of "all style no substance".

169 (edited by TheFizza 2023-07-27 08:02:32)

paisley1 wrote:

Nice... It felt like it was written by the Lower Decks staff as it really leaned into the humor of that series rather than stick with the established tone of SNW but it was a fun romp... I will never get over that animated ending tho wink

That being said, once again I think the folks at TREK should just own this as being a different universe.

https://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=fe18e3ede310c4d0ddb3af64211e19ec

170 (edited by TheFizza 2023-07-27 08:16:31)

merc wrote:

Sound like the opposite to me. Because, firstly it's not a 'short season' it's just a season. It's the same number as last season, this is just how many Eps there per season for this show.

Secondly they are clearly trying to take the feedback from Discovery and give fans some of what they've been asking for, namely a chance to get to know the crew of a Trek series. Each Ep of SNW this season seems to have spotlighted a character or two. Now the cast and crew what to really flex their abilities and do something different.

I have no problem with a series about the future trying to do something different... at least different then they have before.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying I expect a musical Ep to be gold, but I am willing to tune-in for them to give them the opportunity to wow us! As some have mentioned musical Eps, Buffy & Scrubs for instance, were some great TV. This might join them or it might not. But I'm excited to give them the chance!

After all it's the Vulcans who say, "Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations" ...and here that diversity is!

171 (edited by sedman 2023-07-27 09:45:01)

Episode 8 has left me cold -

I get that there was a war, and I'm sure the klingons were brutal, but humanity has proven time and again how despicable it can be.
Despite its lofty ideals, I'm sure Section 31 trumped any war crime the Klingons could be accused of considering their whole ethos revolves around honor.

But somehow I missed episode 7 so, I'm hoping it will lift my spirits after being exposed top what I would rate as the worst episode of STSNW so far.

edit: feeling much better now

TheFizza wrote:
paisley1 wrote:

Nice... It felt like it was written by the Lower Decks staff as it really leaned into the humor of that series rather than stick with the established tone of SNW but it was a fun romp...

2x7 was okay, but nothing more (to me).

It convinced me that it was a good decision to not watch any more Lower Decks than the trailer. cool That kind of humor is not for me.

Well, I thought 2x7 it was fun big_smile

toidol wrote:

Well, I thought 2x7 it was fun big_smile

Agreed, and so did a lot of other people, it seems. It sat at 9.5 on IMDB for a while, still at 9.3 at the time of writing this.

Lower Decks is not just some Rick and Morty knockoff. It's a genuine attempt at being a comedy about and sometimes parody of Star Trek, its writing, design and its fans - while still paying respect to all of those. Where better to do that than within Star Trek. It's really good at what it does, but not necessarily for everyone.

Boimler is kind of a standin for "old" Trek. All bright eyed, idealistic capable boy scout but often extremely awkward about it. Mariner sort of represents complaints about NuTrek: usually just trying to have fun within that universe while not caring about much of its ideology and basically never taking anything seriously, even if she and it easily could, which pisses [the fans/her superiors] off.

That Buffy musical episode worked (and I say that despite hating musicals) because:
• it matched the tone of the rest of the show
• it was sufficiently explained why it is there in-universe
• it actually advanced the story, especially through character development

Having Boimler in this "gimmicky" episode was actually a rather useful plot device because he could convincingly (because time travel and historical knowledge) represent old-Trek fans. As such, the writers could actually address all the weird stuff they are doing with Spock and Chapel and explicitly say "no, we are actually going somewhere with this, this is still the original timeline, all will be back to normal eventually". I think that's actually a pretty neat way to go about it.

Overall, it's kinda impressive that they actually managed to pretty much keep the tone of both shows while keeping it somewhat coherent. Also, again, good fun.

2x8 was another character episode. Good at that, but nothing special otherwise.

eps 7. jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze If there is a musical trek I will watch that  but I am done with this show. putrid.