Re: Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (May 05, 2022)

S01E08.  Another filler episode that I mostly skipped through.

DRM "manages access" in the same way that Prison "manages freedom".
http://xkcd.com/488/

Wizard wrote:

Really?  Wow.  It was much more my kind of Star Trek.

2020.  Meh.

78 (edited by TheFizza 2022-06-24 08:37:34)

Ep8 had a cute framing mechanism which reminds me of some of the absolute worst Eps of Trek like when Tasha Yar had to fight for her right not to marry a man on Ligon II, or that time when everyone on DS9 were forced to Move Along Home and let's not forget Michael Mckean just going for it in the second season of Voyager.

But this terrible Ep, it ended with [nothing borderline about it] child abuse... this was, at the same time, both the dumbest and most offensive Ep of Trek I've seen in what seems like forever [and I am counting Discovery's time crystal nonsense]. It retroactively turned one of my favorite lowkey players on TOS into a criminal but also got rid of his dumb edgy unneeded complication... so honestly I will try to view this as a glitch and take a cue from the crew to forget any of this ever happened.

Why am I so angry, you may ask?! Well it's not cause this Ep followed in the grand tradition of corny genre moments, no...

Spoiler

It is because Dr. M'Benga relinquished parental reasonability when his (underaged) daughter asked him to... the end of this was positioned as a noble thing he did when leaving his daughter spend the rest of her life with just one being [who 100% has been manipulating everyone] is in fact actually the MOST SELFISH THING HE COULD'VE DONE.

And while I think it's a garbage person who would choose the way he did, it would be fine if his commanding offices report his clear child abuse and he gets some sort of consequences for it... but that's not going to happen based on the way the story was framed. It's just frustrating that someone thinks this is parenting then presents that to an audience... I mean, sure you can do that emotional arc but not in this completely tone-deaf way, if you please hmm

I really hope the writer of this Ep never has any children and if they do they are taken away by child protection IMMEDIATELY!

https://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=fe18e3ede310c4d0ddb3af64211e19ec

graybags wrote:
Wizard wrote:

Really?  Wow.  It was much more my kind of Star Trek.

I started to watch it then saw Pikes new hair style and decided not to take it any further . Maybe when I have nothing else to watch then I will go back

Wizard wrote:

I agree a waste of 45 minutes a big let down after the previous episodes.

S1x08:  I started out thinking this was gonna be one of those "silly" episodes ,, and it was DELIGHTFULLY silly.  The exaggerated over-acting had me giggling and going along with the fun.  Anston Mount is a hoot , and some how manages to steal every scene,, even in a cowardly comedic role.
Good writing and obviously some improvisation made this really fun to watch.  Nice to see Hemmer step out for a bigger role also.

eps 9 still that damn hair other wise "Aliens" any one?

merc wrote:

First thing I thought was Aliens lol.

84 (edited by merc 2022-07-01 00:38:57)

Tasviewer wrote:
merc wrote:

First thing I thought was Aliens lol.

for me that is 2  dud eps in a row. when I realised the above I stopped watching, some thing I do not normally do!

S1x09..    How I am supposed to be scared,, with all the emotional baggage they packed into this episode?  The 2 just don't mix well together.

Spoiler

Sam Kirk throwing temper tamtrums ?  And Hemmer , GONE , seriously?  He was EASILY one of the most interesting crew members.
Total of 3 permanent cast gone in 1 episode,, wth

https://shoutbox.menthix.net/files/index.php/dl/ny86n3dr-garfield-argh.gif

Duplicat wrote:

S1x09..    How I am supposed to be scared,, with all the emotional baggage they packed into this episode?  The 2 just don't mix well together.

Spoiler

Sam Kirk throwing temper tamtrums ?  And Hemmer , GONE , seriously?  He was EASILY one of the most interesting crew members.
Total of 3 permanent cast gone in 1 episode,, wth

https://shoutbox.menthix.net/files/index.php/dl/ny86n3dr-garfield-argh.gif

I had high hopes for him too, such an interesting character. A strange decision to kill him off for sure.

Episode 10 is the best yet.

Spoiler

Even though we didn't see his face, there's no mistaking that Scottish twang smile

88 (edited by TheFizza 2022-07-14 04:12:02)

Tasviewer wrote:

Episode 10 is the best yet.

Spoiler

Even though we didn't see his face, there's no mistaking that Scottish twang smile

My "Even though" was...

Spoiler

Spock didn't calmly arch an eyebrow and say "Fascinating" when he saw the Romulans... now that's a missed opportunity  tongue

Anyway Ep 10 [A Quality of Mercy] was pretty good stuff (despite more dreaded time crystal nonsense)... what I can't believe though, is the season is over already. Feels like I barely got to know the show, maybe that's the thing about the classic Trek series: They just threw so many Eps at you that you really got to know the characters and began to feel comfortable in that universe... whereas these new Trek series are so focused [even here] on some tight serialized story telling. As a result we don't really spend all that much time just watching the crew just be.

Because as much as this was not Discovery it was also not TOS but more something in the middle... and there is something to be said for an SF series without that dramatic push forward of towards an overall arc which started back in Voyager and [somehow, more so] in ENT days, sure, but continues on here... even with the finale twist at the end of the Ep.

It's not that I dislike a Epic, DS9 is my favorite Trek, but sometime it's more interesting to just splash around in Trek waters... Even if it's with Eps that have little to now stakes like that time on DS9 when Morn died or when Bashir dealt with The Quickening (sorry Highlander) but then there's also "DAX" and "Whispers" and what of TNG's "The Naked Now" or "Disaster" and  VOY "The Cloud" or "Memorial." Heck even TOS' had all sorts of filler Eps like "The Trouble with Tribbles" or "Shore Leave" which made those crews more textured and thereby more interesting... so, yeah-uh, lament with me tongue

-----
UPDATE: I rewatched "Balance of Terror" and find it interesting that a repercussion of Pike not getting hurt would be personnel assignment in the Romulan Star Empire... because, what happened to Centurion T'Auethn, the Commander's confidant and ally from the classic Ep?

https://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=fe18e3ede310c4d0ddb3af64211e19ec

89 (edited by merc 2022-07-08 10:51:20)

so it is over? thank goodness I wont need to watch any more. I prefer Discovery to this olde fashioned fare. And Pike himself must surly be nearly an oap ( old aged pensioner), old people tarted up never look good. and that hair I kept on thinking my screen has acquired some form of expansion distortion like  you could in the old crt tv days, if any one here is that old to remember such

merc wrote:

so it is over? thank goodness I wont need to watch any more. I prefer Discovery to this olde fashioned fare. And Pike himself must surly be nearly an oap ( old aged pensioner), old people tarted up never look good. and that hair I kept on thinking my screen has acquired some form of expansion distortion like  you could in the old crt tv days, if any one here is that old to remember such

Umm no one had a gun to your head, you didn't "need" to watch it, if you didn't like it lol.
If I don't like a show after 2 episodes then I drop it.

Tasviewer wrote:
merc wrote:

Umm no one had a gun to your head, you didn't "need" to watch it, if you didn't like it lol.
If I don't like a show after 2 episodes then I drop it.

LOL , Some of the comments ya read here on Next-episode ,, just why?

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/aa/2e/54/aa2e5474e994cbac6c9dd72a0cfc76e2--garfield-cartoon-cartoon-cats.jpg

S1x10 ,,  Well, overall, great Season 1.  Glad to see Uhara didn't leave after all. 
Paul Wesley as "James Kirk" fit pretty good in to the original characters shoes.
So far, no word on whether Scotty will make his debut for season 2.

10/10 PAWS
https://occ-0-299-784.1.nflxso.net/dnm/api/v6/9pS1daC2n6UGc3dUogvWIPMR_OU/AAAABXzJL1zQJbNh1ELOfAQg_PrOF-G6On33xpNanEmILXQvKGVIz0Q1ERPuV1pUAnCsUuSzSRh1T8Nn7ZqOh1QipsjY2CZTQyifFGOjkCoIc4wXlwb6s8Ut_dL6.jpg?r=a37

Duplicat wrote:

S1x10 ,,  Well, overall, great Season 1.  Glad to see Uhara didn't leave after all. 
Paul Wesley as "James Kirk" fit pretty good in to the original characters shoes.
So far, no word on whether Scotty will make his debut for season 2.

10/10 PAWS
https://occ-0-299-784.1.nflxso.net/dnm/api/v6/9pS1daC2n6UGc3dUogvWIPMR_OU/AAAABXzJL1zQJbNh1ELOfAQg_PrOF-G6On33xpNanEmILXQvKGVIz0Q1ERPuV1pUAnCsUuSzSRh1T8Nn7ZqOh1QipsjY2CZTQyifFGOjkCoIc4wXlwb6s8Ut_dL6.jpg?r=a37

I'm hoping Scotty makes an appearance in season 2, his lines are always a classic. My favourite was from ST3;

Kirk: How much refit time before we can take her out again?
Scotty: Eight weeks, sir. But ye don't have eight weeks, so I'll do it for ye in two.
Kirk: Mr. Scott. Have you always multiplied your repair estimates by a factor of four?
Scotty: Certainly, sir. How else can I keep my reputation as a miracle worker?
Kirk: [over the intercom] Your reputation is secure, Scotty.

94 (edited by Duplicat 2022-07-09 06:11:01)

But Hemmer ,, [tears] ,,  WHYyyyy?  sad
(you nailed the accent, by the way) smile
Articles about season 2, say that Star Trek canon doesn't stipulate Scotty's debut on the Enterprise.  But atleast now we know it's under Pike's command.  Seems to be perfectly set up for next season.
NOW ,, who could possibly fill those shoes??  Scottish actors ?
- Sean Connerery ? , nah , dead
- Gerald Butler ?  , nah , too dam good looking
- Ewan McGregor ? , nah , Star Wars strumpet
- Oh! , JAMES McAVOY ,  oh yeah.. According to IMDb, currently unemployed. Hmmm, that is very odd [wink]

Or , they just choose someone that can fake a really good Scottish accent.

merc wrote:

so it is over? thank goodness I wont need to watch any more. I prefer Discovery to this olde fashioned fare. And Pike himself must surly be nearly an oap ( old aged pensioner), old people tarted up never look good.

Like Tasviewer said, you really should drop shows you don't like early in the season. cool

And what's your issue with old(er) folks? Anson Mount is only 49! lol

lighton wrote:
merc wrote:

so it is over? thank goodness I wont need to watch any more. I prefer Discovery to this olde fashioned fare. And Pike himself must surly be nearly an oap ( old aged pensioner), old people tarted up never look good.

Like Tasviewer said, you really should drop shows you don't like early in the season. cool

He looks much older - he should get a job in that other dud show "Space Force" - any one bother with that one also?

merc wrote:
lighton wrote:
merc wrote:

He looks much older - he should get a job in that other dud show "Space Force" - any one bother with that one also?

I liked Space Force, bloody funny lol.
So according to you anyone over the age of what, 40 shouldn't be in shows??

Tasviewer wrote:
merc wrote:
lighton wrote:
merc wrote:

I liked Space Force, bloody funny lol.

some can get away with it just not this guy who looks like he is trying too  hard to look cool.

lighton wrote:
merc wrote:

but when to drop? It was the last 3 eps that were the clincher for me. it is a show trying to reprise the glory days of early Star Trek and fails.  it does not have a theme like the other shows ( other than can Pike avoid his destiny? I hope he doesn't)

merc wrote:
Tasviewer wrote:
merc wrote:
lighton wrote:

some can get away with it just not this guy who looks like he is trying too  hard to look cool.

https://media3.giphy.com/media/8uw7IdKfHDVPG/giphy.gif?cid=790b7611d743ee91426bf8cf1f194d7579964af8425459bc&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g