1 (edited by merc 2021-10-13 20:07:17)

Topic: The Great

https://static.next-episode.net/tv-shows-images/huge/the-great.jpg

The Great is a genre bending, anti-historical romp through 18th Century Russia following the wildly comic rise of Catherine the Nothing to Catherine the Great.

https://next-episode.net/the-great

The humour is a bit coarse and bawdy but Elle Fanning, who I had never heard of is a delight. The theme of the show is about Catherine wanting to instigate a coup and displace Peter the not-so-great who has the mind of a teenager and create a modern Russia. There is a Count Orlov who is a spitting image for Janzo from the Outpost but they are not the same actor

Re: The Great

merc wrote:

The humour is a bit coarse and teen-sexual ( but innocent) but Elle Fanning, who I had never heard of is a delight. The theme of the show is about Catherine wanting to instigate a coup and displace Peter the not-so-great who has the mind of a teenager and create a modern Russia. There is a Count Orlov who is a spitting image for Janzo from the Outpost but they are not the same actor

I'm not sure I'll watch the show (the trailer isn't bad but... I don't know), but what I find really impressive is how you could have missed everything Elle Fanning was in over the years! smile

3 (edited by merc 2021-10-13 13:30:42)

lighton wrote:
merc wrote:

The humour is a bit coarse and teen-sexual ( but innocent) but Elle Fanning, who I had never heard of is a delight. The theme of the show is about Catherine wanting to instigate a coup and displace Peter the not-so-great who has the mind of a teenager and create a modern Russia. There is a Count Orlov who is a spitting image for Janzo from the Outpost but they are not the same actor

I'm not sure I'll watch the show (the trailer isn't bad but... I don't know), but what I find really impressive is how you could have missed everything Elle Fanning was in over the years! smile

well I know she had part in Maleficent and that strange scifi How To Talk To Girls At Parties ( which I have on dvd) and a very very young in Super 8 but she hadnt really registered as some one. None of the other films I know. I dont watch many films these days more a tv series person ( and there are so many of them these days). I only got round to watching Harry Potter last year when the blu rays got cheap 2nd hand.

The Great is a funny series with nice locations as long you are not sophisticated high brow type. Huzzah!

4 (edited by merc 2021-10-13 21:13:28)

I have been thinking what best way to describe the show. Bawdy comes to mind. except .......

Spoiler

But eps 10 the last of season 1 is anything but bawdy fun & is very dramatic & dark and Catherine pays the price for power. Great episode well worth waiting for

This is a good show