Topic: Dune (2021)

Dune | Official Main Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g18jFHCLXk

Trailer looks good! Dune should get along just fine with https://next-episode.net/foundation. cool

Re: Dune (2021)

I have tried reading the book several times and tried watching the original film several times.  Completely bored and disinterested everytime.

I love SciFi too.  I'll give it a go though.

DRM "manages access" in the same way that Prison "manages freedom".
http://xkcd.com/488/

big_smile

4 (edited by paisley1 2021-10-27 02:48:20)

Just watched Dune, not bad, better than the original, Ronin stole the show, much like he did in Stargate Atlantis.  I still find the entire concept just as boring as I did when I was a child watching the movie though.  Strong Lord of the Rings vibes, structure wise, because it ended like fellowship, the first of a 3 parter.  big_smile  Beautiful cinematography.  You're not missing anything if you don't see it though.

Well, I managed about 45 minutes and turned it off.   I was falling asleep it was that boring.

DRM "manages access" in the same way that Prison "manages freedom".
http://xkcd.com/488/

I really enjoyed watching it! My biggest complaint: now I have to wait years to watch the 'real ending' of the story. big_smile

I really enjoyed it, yes it was a bit slow but I just sat back and watched the world building and damn it looks amazing.

It did kinda end in the middle of nowhere though, glad it's getting a sequel. It will probably be a much better watch when you get a complete story.

8 (edited by merc 2021-11-09 14:47:59)

This seems to be the trouble with cerebral books? Many of these famous scifi books major on description and "world building" as if that is enough. ( intellectual types love exercising their magination constructing the world in their mind?) On the other hand you have famous books like "The Voyage of the Space Beagle -A. E. van Vogt" which spawnded  Alien ( finally credited) and I think Star Trek.( disputed?)

I will be watching Dune tonight ( Oh I had a fast glimse, dont look promising)

9 (edited by paisley1 2021-11-11 23:59:27)

Wizard wrote:

Well, I managed about 45 minutes and turned it off.   I was falling asleep it was that boring.

I would not have guessed that. /s lol  Glad you found a new sedative.

Lighton wrote:

I really enjoyed watching it! My biggest complaint: now I have to wait years to watch the 'real ending' of the story.

Of course you would.  big_smile

proteinnerd wrote:

I really enjoyed it, yes it was a bit slow but I just sat back and watched the world building and damn it looks amazing.

It did kinda end in the middle of nowhere though, glad it's getting a sequel. It will probably be a much better watch when you get a complete story.

Agreed, it needs to be marathoned all at once, and it's so well captured the cinematography might get nominated for an Oscar.

merc wrote:

This seems to be the trouble with cerebral books? Many of these famous scifi books major on description and "world building" as if that is enough. ( intellectual types love exercising their magination constructing the world in their mind?) On the other hand you have famous books like "The Voyage of the Space Beagle -A. E. van Vogt" which spawnded  Alien ( finally credited) and I think Star Trek.( disputed?)

I will be watching Dune tonight ( Oh I had a fast glimse, dont look promising)

Speaking of cerebral and world building, a friend of mine loves this movie and books and he explained to me the spice and how it gets used, it's purpose, and if they unpacked that, this would be a WAY better movie.  If a story is geared for an intellectual scifi audience, then lead with intellectual content and choices, instead of ignoring or only referencing in passing, plot points that should be shown, then doubling down on an empty ending that was obvious at the point where Wizard probably stopped watching. lolz.

I agree with this review:

https://www.niagara-gazette.com/news/ni … 30726.html

10 (edited by merc 2021-11-12 16:16:44)

paisley1 wrote:

Just watched Dune, not bad, better than the original, Ronin stole the show, much like he did in Stargate Atlantis.  I still find the entire concept just as boring as I did when I was a child watching the movie though.  Strong Lord of the Rings vibes, structure wise, because it ended like fellowship, the first of a 3 parter.  big_smile  Beautiful cinematography.  You're not missing anything if you don't see it though.

Ronan? Is that the Kree guy with the big Thor hammer from captain Marvel? He certainly gets around

merc wrote:
paisley1 wrote:

Ronan? Is that the Kree guy with the big Thor hammer from captain Marvel? He certainly gets around

No, Ronon Dex is Aquaman or Khal Drogo or Conan the Barbarian or Baba Voss...

...where did I put that rat's ass I could give?

Daemons are benevolent or benign nature spirits, beings of the same nature as both mortals and gods, similar to ghosts, chthonic heroes, spirit guides, forces of nature or the gods themselves.

Daemonius wrote:
merc wrote:
paisley1 wrote:

He also plays Jason Momoa in this thing called real life with mixed success lol

13 (edited by paisley1 2021-11-14 20:59:01)

proteinnerd wrote:
Daemonius wrote:
merc wrote:
paisley1 wrote:

He also plays Jason Momoa in this thing called real life with mixed success lol

Fantastic! lol  Hardest laugh I've had all week.

Jason Momoa will forever be Ronon Dex from Stargate Atlantis to me, not Aquaman not Khal Drogo not Conan not Baba Voss.  It's just like Terry O'quinn will forever be Kendall from Alias, and Greg Grunberg will forever be Weiss.  Any time there's a show/role that makes an actor, thus forever thou shalt be thine name, lolz. big_smile

(Richard Dean Anderson is Macgyver, Neil Patrick Harris is Doogie, Matthew Broderick is Ferris, Craig T. Nelson is Coach, David Duchovny is Mulder, et cetera.  Those last two are a before and after; Hayden Fox Mulder.)

(Remember that time Ronon fought Teal'c?)  Same Ronon in Dune. So good to rewatch that! lol

14 (edited by merc 2021-11-16 00:05:49)

lighton wrote:

I really enjoyed watching it! My biggest complaint: now I have to wait years to watch the 'real ending' of the story. big_smile

yes
just watched it. pretty good. but they should have made all the films before  releasing any as we all know this is just preamble. would you wait years to see the next eps of a tv series. so I have lost interest already

merc wrote:

they should have made all the films before  releasing any as we all know this is just preamble. would you wait years to see the next eps of a tv series. so I have lost interest already

I would like that too, but with a big budget like this - $165 million for this movie alone - that is rarely possible...