26 (edited by paisley1 2021-03-16 19:21:49)

Re: Debris

lighton wrote:
paisley1 wrote:
Spoiler

[...] hell the Cylon's are all clones, but "instant accidental cloning" from a machine, that's a rare thing and pretty creative how it's used
[...]
Star Trek Voyager S5xE17 called Course Oblivion is Instant Accidental Cloning, well, back in S4xE24 Demon is when it happened, and you don't realize that until mid way through Course Oblivion, but you all know what I mean, you've seen it.

I've seen it, but I don't recall that AT ALL! big_smile Voyager has been a while...

Voyager's worth a re-watch. So good. smile

What's fresh and unique about episode 1x02 of Debris is that...

Spoiler

...the debris tech for cloning separates a different characteristic of a persons life experience or personality trait into each clone, so cool, but it isn't expanded upon, the cloning is simply left as a reason for Finola's father, George Jones being alive.  I assume everyone caught that, if you didn't, uh, spoiler, lol.

I surmise that the long boring talks in this episode and backstory that Finola gives about her dad and watching him die, was specific to the debris tech in this episode like a clone that said, "You're not alone", and not her real dad who we know is still alive (or vice versa).  wink 

The problem, if either of those options are the case, is that I don't care enough about these characters at all for that to be intriguing, as they've led us to care more about the tech, than human stories of connection, overcoming adversity, or the heroes journey.  If they told this episode through backstory, that is, actually showing a glimpse of what the father-daughter relationship was like in the past, then flipping to the present, I'd care far more, as this is a visual medium, I need to actually see the relationship to care about it, not just overhear it.

I think the shadowy CIA/FBI/DoD/NSA characters talking in the hanger about "what we're trying to build", just comes off flat and uninteresting when I think it's supposed to be conspiratorial and intriguing, and it's not.

Interesting spoiler father theory, paisley1. smile I'm not so sure that is what's happening, but it's a possibility. smile

28 (edited by paisley1 2021-03-14 21:06:08)

Theory? It's just as obvious as all the heavy handed writing in this show, that that's the scenario behind George Jones.  I'll tell you what, if it's not, than this show is better than I thought, and I'll move my 6.5/10 to a 7/10.  How does that sound? wink

Spoiler

During the cloning episode, there's two versions of George Jones, one everyone remembers dying 5 months ago, and the other is still alive and talked about by CIA guys, and you don't think one of them is a clone?  So what, a misdirect where he faked his death?  Everyone's memories have been tampered with? The pictures aren't true?  Different timelines going on? (Oh please be true! So much better. big_smile) Twins? lolz. Cloning just makes sense.

What's your theory? wink

That sounds great. wink

I have no theory. I only develop a theory if a particular aspect is very intriguing... if not I use my mental capacity elsewhere and just wait for the explanation. cool

30 (edited by paisley1 2021-03-14 23:53:22)

lighton wrote:

That sounds great. wink

I have no theory. I only develop a theory if a particular aspect is very intriguing... if not I use my mental capacity elsewhere and just wait for the explanation. cool

wink Awesome.

I suppose it never occurred to me that what they've set up about George Jones

Spoiler

being a clone

isn't plot but would be considered a theory.  I like it when my expectations are subverted in a way that's better than I can imagine though, given the range of possibilities for a mystery like Debris.  We'll see. wink

Oh yeah, maybe it'll be a "WTF!? Didn't see THAT coming!" moment*. smile Love those!

* https://next-episode.net/preacher and https://next-episode.net/legion had a good amount of those, https://next-episode.net/mr.-robot (to a lesser extent) too cool

Watched 1x3. I like this whole "discovering super-advanced tech and trying to figure out how it works" theme... makes you wonder what would happen to it if you'd take a current smartphone and drop it off to our ancestors like 25,000 years ago (that's how old the oldest human permanent settlement that has yet been found by archaeologists is). smile

paisley1:

Spoiler

Interesting new information regarding her father at the end of the episode, any new theories on your end? smile

33 (edited by paisley1 2021-03-16 21:41:10)

lighton wrote:

Watched 1x3. I like this whole "discovering super-advanced tech and trying to figure out how it works" theme... makes you wonder what would happen to it if you'd take a current smartphone and drop it off to our ancestors like 25,000 years ago (that's how old the oldest human permanent settlement that has yet been found by archaeologists is). smile

paisley1:

Spoiler

Interesting new information regarding her father at the end of the episode, any new theories on your end? smile

I've been hoping for an episode like 1x03 from the beginning, as I said in my second post of this forum, I was hoping they would touch on theories from Ancient Aliens the TV series and Bob Lazar:

Spoiler

Portals leading to other dimensions like the ones in South America and the phenomenon found at the Bermuda triangle and how time can be displaced and matter compressed at these specific spots on earth, is all from theories discussed on Ancient Aliens, and even the alien tech described in this episode being "like magic" is straight from Bob Lazar's account, and it's great how they're making human stories with these theories, which is totally what I've wanted to see! Yay! wink  Bob Lazar described the technology he was working on at S4 like, taking a portable nuclear reactor and dropping it off in the Victorian era, they'd play around with it, but then people would start to die of radiation exposure and think it's a magic curse, and this show reminds me a lot of that, the tech is so far advanced we don't have the material science to create adequate solutions to the problems created by the debris.

George Jones was some sort of genius scientist, so him being alive I still maintain is debris tech related in some way, the specifics behind the apparent pseudocide could be anything from cloning, teleportation, reanimation, whatever that tech was doing in Ep1x02, etc., but at least its a mystery that keeps me interested.  What if the cloning machine in Ep1x02 was really a faulty teleportation machine?  That theory makes sense if you think about it, perhaps the reason the clones were having memory problems is because they weren't clones but partially teleported copies from a broken teleportation machine, like a fragmented printer cache buffer stuck in autoprint, printing out broken copies. wink Perhaps this tech was part of George Jones escape from the morgue.  Thoughts?

The problems I have with the show, still remain.  The solutions to debris tech mysteries are so heavy handed its infuriating as there's so little technobabble to explain why their solutions should work, ie. they just push the debris tech into the portal and everyone comes back to our dimension? Why should that work?  So heavy handed!  Also, the lead characters stories and performances are so boring, while the secondary characters stories and performances are so interesting, that it makes the leads even more in service to the debris, in episode 1x03. 

Writing TV has to be so difficult to do, I really feel for them, because I really want this show to succeed! smile

Probably my favorite episode so far. smile

Anyone else astounded by how it rains every time and everyone has their clothes wet but faces are super dry and no rain on hair?

paisley1:

Spoiler

Not sure what the "S4" is that you mention.

I like your broken teleportation machine = 'cloning' theory, makes a lot of sense! smile

Yes, pushing the broken debris tech into the portal to get the people out could have been done/ explained better, I agree.

I don't agree with "the lead characters stories and performances are so boring", I have a feeling the rather minimalistic approach was no accident. We'll see... smile

Easycore wrote:

Anyone else astounded by how it rains every time and everyone has their clothes wet but faces are super dry and no rain on hair?

Ha! I hadn't caught that goof, thanks for sharing. smile Since the rain was visible, maybe they were shooting those scenes (mostly) under a mobile roof? Easier to keep the cast happy that way, even more so if you have to shoot a scene several times. big_smile

36 (edited by paisley1 2021-03-18 19:09:47)

Lighton: S4 is a site within Area 51 by Papoose Lake Nevada where Bob Lazar claims to have worked on flying saucers and attempted to back engineer advanced technology in the 1980's.

Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEWz4SX … owerfulJRE

Easycore: Anyone else astounded by how it rains every time and everyone has their clothes wet but faces are super dry and no rain on hair?

Lighton: Ha! I hadn't caught that goof, thanks for sharing. smile Since the rain was visible, maybe they were shooting those scenes (mostly) under a mobile roof? Easier to keep the cast happy that way, even more so if you have to shoot a scene several times. big_smile

Easycore:  What's funny is that they were pawning off lower mainland BC, where it rains all the time, as Minnesota, lol in Ep 1x03.  At least they dry the rain off the actors so we can see them. wink

paisley1 wrote:

Lighton: S4 is a site within Area 51 just south of Papoose Lake Nevada where Bob Lazar claims to have worked on flying saucers and attempted to back engineer advanced technology back in the 1980's.

Thanks, very cool! I've heard of Bob Lazar before, but never heard him speak about stuff. Listened to 40 minutes so far, I like it.

You were right, the recording totally fits with what happens in Debris. smile

I used to not believe in this stuff at all, but over the years I heard/ read lots of weird stuff from credible sources, like people in the military or commercial pilots.

38 (edited by paisley1 2021-03-27 02:27:43)

lighton wrote:
paisley1 wrote:

Lighton: S4 is a site within Area 51 just south of Papoose Lake Nevada where Bob Lazar claims to have worked on flying saucers and attempted to back engineer advanced technology back in the 1980's.

Thanks, very cool! I've heard of Bob Lazar before, but never heard him speak about stuff. Listened to 40 minutes so far, I like it.

You were right, the recording totally fits with what happens in Debris. smile

I used to not believe in this stuff at all, but over the years I heard/ read lots of weird stuff from credible sources, like people in the military or commercial pilots.

Here's the map link to Area 51: https://www.google.ca/maps/place/37%C2% … 6599?hl=en
(zoom in and try placing the yellow street view man on papoose mountain lol)

If there is actual advanced tech with flying saucers and anti gravity propulsion machines, my theory is not alien.

My Theory:  This advanced tech comes from a group of pre-flood humans who cracked the genome, used what they learned on themselves, and became so genetically "advanced" they had understanding and ability far surpassing our own, effectively leaving our genome.  Bob Lazar talks about the saucers being found during an archaeological dig, and if they have their own artificial gravity field around them they could withstand anything, like an ice age or extreme pressure under water, and the 9 saucers may just be antiquated tech they left behind, after these GMO humans fled earth.

I agree with Joe Rogan's sentiment about the hosts of Ancient Aliens, they posit idea A and B and then jump to answer Z of "Aliens did it", skipping logical inference and the possibility of the intelligence of humans, making themselves look like a bunch of quacks, when the science behind the mysteries they explore could be far more possible and credible if they looked at it rationally.  In a sense, same problem on Debris so far.

Tried watching episode 1x04 three times now, and I got bored 15 mins in every time, I think I'm done with this...

1x7. Cool idea for how to begin an episode, but...

Spoiler

I've seen Mannequin Challenges where people 'freeze' better than in that scene! big_smile

Of course, it may be that the producer wasn't aiming for perfection in that scene...

And a goof for sure: when the big airplane explodes near the end of the episode, the explosion does violate the laws of physics. Like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL697AGVDoM shows for example, the exploding fuel of course moves along the path of the crashing plane. In this Debris episode, the explosion has no velocity sidewards. But maybe I'm the only person who cares. wink

paisley1 wrote:

Tried watching episode 1x04 three times now, and I got bored 15 mins in every time, I think I'm done with this...

Maybe you just need more sleep. cool