1

Topic: Gina Carano (Cara Dune On The Mandalorian) No Longer On the Show

Gina Carano, Who Plays Cara Dune On The Mandalorian, Will No Longer Be On the Show
https://entertainment.slashdot.org/stor … n-the-show

"Gina Carano is not currently employed by Lucasfilm and there are no plans for her to be in the future," said a Lucasfilm spokesperson. "Nevertheless, her social media posts denigrating people based on their cultural and religious identities are abhorrent and unacceptable." io9 reports:

The news comes after a day in which the hashtag #FireGinaCarano trended on Twitter for hours. The night before, the actress shared an anti-Semitic story on her Instagram. It was soon deleted but many fans captured it and shared it on social media. That, of course, came after months of complaints about Carano's online presence, including mocking covid mask mandates, spreading conspiracies about the United States election, liking posts disparaging the Black Lives Matter movement, and deriding pronoun usage.

Carano's character, Cara Dune, was one of the main characters on the award-winning Disney+ show. And it was assumed, though never confirmed, that she might play a role in the upcoming Star Wars: Rangers of the New Republic show. That, apparently, is not happening anymore. Even if it was.

I guess this is what happens when you shoot yourself in the foot... with a bazooka... and then you do it again.

2

Re: Gina Carano (Cara Dune On The Mandalorian) No Longer On the Show

lighton wrote:

I guess this is what happens when you shoot yourself in the foot... with a bazooka... and then you do it again.

If, by shoot yourself in the foot, you mean have a different political view to the woke sjw cancel culture twitter mob, then sure.

This is what happens when you aren't a far-leftist weirdo extremist and don't hide it.


...and are stupid enough to bother with twitter.

3 (edited by mfurniss 2021-02-12 16:37:11)

Re: Gina Carano (Cara Dune On The Mandalorian) No Longer On the Show

dofus wrote:

This show is awfully bad, the writing is horrible and extremely cliché. All surface and no substance at all. It is like an extremely violent childrens show. It lacks tension and suspense since there is never any danger or unknown outcomes in any scenario, we know the heroes will always win, they are invincible and the fight scenes are also really badly choreographed because of this, like nobody even cares. The imperial soldiers are so incompetent it is not even believable. You can not have an "empire" with completely useless soldiers.

Also the political undertones are actually quite revolting, the empire are supposed to represent "evil" (nazis of course) but who are really evil these days in shows like this? We see this in the real world too now, when you are a self-appointed "good guy" you can apparantly do anything you want, especially against the "enemy." You can treat them however you want.

Have you seen Star Wars, and do you realise who George Lucas is...?? (Sarcasm abound)

4

Re: Gina Carano (Cara Dune On The Mandalorian) No Longer On the Show

proteinnerd wrote:
lighton wrote:

I guess this is what happens when you shoot yourself in the foot... with a bazooka... and then you do it again.

If, by shoot yourself in the foot, you mean have a different political view to the woke sjw cancel culture twitter mob, then sure.

This is what happens when you aren't a far-leftist weirdo extremist and don't hide it.


...and are stupid enough to bother with twitter.

Tho in this case she might actually be in the opposite ditch - I mean I joke about jews, BLM and pronouns don't plan to treat seriously ever, but masks stuff, conspiracies and alike basically are the only ground why radical/screeching  lefties even manage to call everybody who don't agree with them "alt-right", "nazis" or whatever else they come up with on weekly basis smile Extremes on both sides, imo, are equally bad. That said no gun blazing confederate flag waving make america great again person can be as annoying as their woke counterpart on Twitter big_smile

But overall I would prefer that actors stay apolitical.

5

Re: Gina Carano (Cara Dune On The Mandalorian) No Longer On the Show

g371 wrote:

But overall I would prefer that actors stay apolitical.

Remember when that was the norm....

ah the good ol' days when it was considered good manners not to discuss religion and politics.

6 (edited by g371 2021-02-13 19:12:15)

Re: Gina Carano (Cara Dune On The Mandalorian) No Longer On the Show

proteinnerd wrote:

Remember when that was the norm....

Yup, something went seriously wrong, this summer I was playing game with companies/public persons pages on FB/Instagram - you post black square, I unfollow you, that's how got disqualified Lexus, Aubrey Plaza and bunch more big_smile Somebody could start give woke rating to TV series and movies so that I can know before which ones to skip smile That force feeding is an insult to intelligence.

Btw, fun fact, in some Russian dubbing they are skipping translating the woke parts of TV series big_smile Like text is in Russian, then for a few seconds in English and back to Russian, checkmate big_smile

7

Re: Gina Carano (Cara Dune On The Mandalorian) No Longer On the Show

proteinnerd wrote:
lighton wrote:

I guess this is what happens when you shoot yourself in the foot... with a bazooka... and then you do it again.

If, by shoot yourself in the foot, you mean have a different political view to the woke sjw cancel culture twitter mob, then sure.

This is what happens when you aren't a far-leftist weirdo extremist and don't hide it.


...and are stupid enough to bother with twitter.

+1 to this.

As a Jew, she did nothing to offend me.

If you ask me, Arnold Schwarzenegger said a lot worse a few weeks ago. Was he cancelled, no! Why? Because he fits in with the woke left wing liberals. How dare he compare things like that to kristallnacht. Family of mine perished during the Holocaust and he speaks out freely like that without consequence. Sickening.

Arnold:
https://news.sky.com/story/us-capitol-r … s-12184271

Ben Shapiro:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=SKX79QNG_vI … ture=share

Brothers! What we do in life...Echoes in Eternity!


http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=9a35ebe93d371275706bdebcafefaa47

8

Re: Gina Carano (Cara Dune On The Mandalorian) No Longer On the Show

I'm a bit conflicted on this one since didn't like her character in Mandalorian.

And she seems a bit stupid tweeting like she did. She clearly should have known the consequences in this woke landscape. Some might view it as heroic, but i cant stop feeling it was idiotic to risk her job like that, even though I dont necessarily disagree with the message she was trying to portray.

I wonder how far this woke bullshit is going. I hope people dont support woke shit shows and movies with (payed) views.

9

Re: Gina Carano (Cara Dune On The Mandalorian) No Longer On the Show

proteinnerd wrote:

If, by shoot yourself in the foot, you mean have a different political view to the woke sjw cancel culture twitter mob, then sure.

How many propaganda buzzwords (doesn't matter of which camp) can you fit into a single sentence without having to question whether you are still being rational about your opinion?

The only thing these seem to really be good for is making people stop listening to you. That's not a good thing.


proteinnerd wrote:

the good ol' days when it was considered good manners not to discuss religion and politics.

Not sure which time you mean, but since it apparently ended up creating the situation we have to put up with now, maybe it wasn't that great after all?


nightcrow wrote:

If you ask me, Arnold Schwarzenegger said a lot worse a few weeks ago. Was he cancelled, no! Why? Because he fits in with the woke left wing liberals. How dare he compare things like that to kristallnacht. Family of mine perished during the Holocaust and he speaks out freely like that without consequence. Sickening.

I agree, that wasn't the best comparsion when it comes to the nazis. Kristallnacht was the point of no return, when citizens attacked citizens for merely existing. Better comparsions might have been the Reichstagsbrand and the Beer Hall Putsch, among others. Incidents that step by step normalized political violence.


One thing that should be noted here, though: Hollywood firing their actors for stuff they do in their private life is not by any means a new thing. Hell, if anything, it's even less extreme now than it used to be in, say, the 60s, when even the question who married who was a big deal in that industry.

It's simply a matter of taking no risks for Disney here. If one of their actors' reputation starts overshadowing their on-screen portrayal, they risk it falling back to them in some way. Easier to just fire people. That's not political, it's just business.


Why Schwarzenegger wasn't "cancelled"? Well... by whom? Does that guy even work for anyone these days? Besides, he was speaking out not only as an actor, but as a GOP politician and former governor. It's simply not the same thing.


g371 wrote:

Btw, fun fact, in some Russian dubbing they are skipping translating the woke parts of TV series big_smile Like text is in Russian, then for a few seconds in English and back to Russian, checkmate big_smile

But uh... is that a good thing? Sounds to me as if someone is deliberately trying to cover up stuff they consider iffy for one reason or another. Isn't that the very thing we are criticizing here?


Moze wrote:

I'm a bit conflicted on this one since didn't like her character in Mandalorian.

Same here. She was good in season 1, but whenever she showed up in 2 it just felt redundant...

10 (edited by paisley1 2021-02-18 22:11:20)

Re: Gina Carano (Cara Dune On The Mandalorian) No Longer On the Show

Gina Carano was fired from Mandalorian? "Less angry Rosie O'donnell"?  Not for her acting?  Dang it! 

Just read her tweet, and she sounds pro Jew to me.  I don't get it?

She was easily the weakest link in the Mandalorian, and I'm glad her character will be replaced or removed, but I disagree with thinking she said anything wrong with what I've read.

Pluralism is the enemy (thought police).  Plurality is the only high ground (defend the rights of those you disagree with).

Just wish they fired her for her acting so she'd go back to mixed martial arts.  Maybe a pretext?  They can't be brutal with her about her acting, but they can be brutal with her about their own misunderstanding of her tweets?  It's a mad world.

11

Re: Gina Carano (Cara Dune On The Mandalorian) No Longer On the Show

some_one wrote:
g371 wrote:

Btw, fun fact, in some Russian dubbing they are skipping translating the woke parts of TV series big_smile Like text is in Russian, then for a few seconds in English and back to Russian, checkmate big_smile

But uh... is that a good thing? Sounds to me as if someone is deliberately trying to cover up stuff they consider iffy for one reason or another. Isn't that the very thing we are criticizing here?

Yep, it is, just mentioned that they do it, I don't agree to any kind of censorship.

12

Re: Gina Carano (Cara Dune On The Mandalorian) No Longer On the Show

I guess I'll never really understand people like Gina, starting with her "spreading conspiracies about the United States election". She probably also supported Trump’s Sleight of Hand: Shouting Fraud, Pocketing Donors’ Cash for Future. Sad.

Thank you, some_one, for your long post.

13 (edited by g371 2021-02-18 21:36:05)

Re: Gina Carano (Cara Dune On The Mandalorian) No Longer On the Show

Just need the right ingredients, the main one usually is a poor education. That's why actors should do what they are good at and stop disappointing with their views on topics nobody asked them about. Tho in this case I also agree that she was not great at acting as well, so won't be missing her big_smile

14 (edited by paisley1 2021-02-18 22:58:12)

Re: Gina Carano (Cara Dune On The Mandalorian) No Longer On the Show

g371 wrote:

Just need the right ingredients, the main one usually is a poor education. That's why actors should do what they are good at and stop disappointing with their views on topics nobody asked them about. Tho in this case I also agree that she was not great at acting as well, so won't be missing her big_smile

Thank you!  She can't act.  She can fight in mixed martial arts.  She just needs to stay in her lane, and she'll be fine.

We use our education to form our own opinions and beliefs, and Gina has the right to hers, whether I agree with it or not, is another thing, but no actor should get fired for their beliefs, only their garbage performances and bad behaviour on set.

...it's just that smarmy smug smirk on her face all the time that I can't take...

15

Re: Gina Carano (Cara Dune On The Mandalorian) No Longer On the Show

She's isn't a great actress but neither are Stallone, Arnie, Van Damme or the Rock but I still enjoy their work as action stars....not sure why she has to "stay in her lane" when its fine for others to change careers.

I'm not even really a fan of hers tbh, nor do I share her political beliefs but what has happened to her is plain wrong and is showing the absolute hypocrisy of lucasfilm who recently came out and defended the host of their new show that has tweeted numerous straight up racist crap, but she's black so that's ok apparently.

16 (edited by g371 2021-02-19 21:35:53)

Re: Gina Carano (Cara Dune On The Mandalorian) No Longer On the Show

proteinnerd wrote:

tweeted numerous straight up racist crap, but she's black so that's ok apparently.

BLM on so many occasions is funny because it's the most racist crap in past 50 years and they fail to see that themselves smile

Totally agree that hypocrisy in all these "problem topics" that are trending past around 5 years is beyond obvious. And somehow feels that all this nonsense is coming from California and after spreads like a plague via Twitter and alike all over the world. We literally had BLM protest big_smile watafak, past 1000 years we had just fights with other white people and have not seen any dark skinned person even close big_smile

btw, "hashtag activism" even has it's own Wikipedia page big_smile https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashtag_activism

17

Re: Gina Carano (Cara Dune On The Mandalorian) No Longer On the Show

g371 wrote:

BLM on so many occasions is funny because it's the most racist crap in past 50 years and they fail to see that themselves smile

Care to elaborate on that?

18

Re: Gina Carano (Cara Dune On The Mandalorian) No Longer On the Show

some_one wrote:
g371 wrote:

BLM on so many occasions is funny because it's the most racist crap in past 50 years and they fail to see that themselves smile

Care to elaborate on that?

What's funny? When they do stuff like make black only businesses, attack anybody because they are white and in general blame all their problems on white people, systematic racism and other unicorns. Even all that "diversifying" imo is pure racism - if you factor in race, you are in the literal definition of the racism. Also these programs that black people can get into universities for free etc. etc. Basically everything I have read on this topic is a facepalm material. And I have a totally unbiased view on that, since I live in 99.999999% same race country. We have exactly same stuff  - police profile criminals, because it's simple statistics, not every police officer is professional, some people have problems renting something, some live in kinda isolated more trashy neighborhoods - and guess what they all are white. No "white privilege" saved them from being dumb, criminals or assholes (we have free education and health care as well). It were their choices. And any of them have every chance to change their lives.

Basically if you have a black president, white homeless people, burn down cities when one unprofessional police officer breaks the law arresting a criminal, I'm laughing.

19

Re: Gina Carano (Cara Dune On The Mandalorian) No Longer On the Show

One day I was reading some woke article about black alcohol maker struggles in USA - that he went to some event and all there are white, white people club lala blabla.

So, the same "problem" as in this picture? big_smile

https://miro.medium.com/max/2560/0*t7wAcKjQX2jfwQBD.jpg

20

Re: Gina Carano (Cara Dune On The Mandalorian) No Longer On the Show

Imo, what they should be protesting against is social welfare system, education system, police training and funding, too many guns in hands of criminals issues instead of taking a knee and trying to cure racism with more racism big_smile

21 (edited by g371 2021-02-21 00:18:09)

Re: Gina Carano (Cara Dune On The Mandalorian) No Longer On the Show

Just googled "math is racist", how not to laugh about this? https://www.hoover.org/research/seattle … indseattle big_smile

Tho imo in that article is the key to half of their problems:

Just 40 percent of California schoolchildren are proficient at math.

EDIT: Found this: https://equitablemath.org/wp-content/up … TRIDE1.pdf - this is not even funny anymore, they are sick big_smile Here is the author: https://twitter.com/smcintron_math - and this is a quote of one tweet she decided to retweet recently: "kindness without antiracism is racism" - what mushrooms are you eating?

22

Re: Gina Carano (Cara Dune On The Mandalorian) No Longer On the Show

g371 wrote:

Even all that "diversifying" imo is pure racism - if you factor in race, you are in the literal definition of the racism.

Well... technically correct, but also misleading. If a system is unbiased against something (like ethnicity), then on average, you should find roughly the same distribution you have in your population everywhere. Observation shows that this is rarely the case in reality.

Whenever someone tries to "diversify" anything, that's just an (admittedly often sloppy) attempt to somehow compensate for that. There should never have been cause for it in the first place.

I do agree that to keep talking about race is not the best way to address racism, though.

g371 wrote:

Basically if you have a black president, white homeless people, burn down cities when one unprofessional police officer breaks the law arresting a criminal, I'm laughing.

First of all, as far as I am aware, nobody burned down any cities. Those who did try any of that stuff were mostly shunned by the wider movement of people trying to protest peacefully. If you have any sources that say different and can be verified, please do share.

Second, those protests were not about any one, or even any few incidents. They were about the perceived facts that a lot of police officers in the US sometimes use disproportionate amounts of violence for often no reason, that a disproportionate amount of times this problem affects people who aren't "white" and that police officers who end up killing people for no good reason very often simply get to keep their jobs without further consequence. All of these are bad things.

The only reason names like those of Floyd and Taylor were used at all is that people can more easily relate to a cause if they can put a face to it.

Again, this is about averages and distributions, never about individuals.

g371 wrote:

And I have a totally unbiased view on that, since I live in 99.999999% same race country.

Same here, but it's still a really bad idea to think you have no bias. We all do. You do, as do I. It's just coming from different places.

23 (edited by g371 2021-02-21 05:08:43)

Re: Gina Carano (Cara Dune On The Mandalorian) No Longer On the Show

some_one wrote:
g371 wrote:

Even all that "diversifying" imo is pure racism - if you factor in race, you are in the literal definition of the racism.

Well... technically correct, but also misleading. If a system is unbiased against something (like ethnicity), then on average, you should find roughly the same distribution you have in your population everywhere. Observation shows that this is rarely the case in reality.

Just read that starting from some 2024 to be qualify for Oscar nomination there should be involved in a movie x non-white, LGBTQ and disabled persons. Imo, racist as it gets. Stupid beyond stupid, because you don't measure by talent/work, but by sexual orientation or race :facepalm:

About these proportions have not spent much time dissecting USA numbers since it's not my country and don't really care much, but from what I have glanced at, 75% are white, like 10-15% black, and remaining % the rest. So, if I look totally linear and simplified, watching 10 movies, it would be totally normal that in 8 there are just white people, right? And there is not an ideal world where every single area of life will be perfectly mixed 7 white, 2 black, 1 Asian. So, it's totally normal that there are combos 6 Asians, 4 blacks. 10 whites. 9 blacks, 1 white etc. etc. Even "antiracists" themselves claim that races has cultural differences, then how an even distribution is possible? We have 25% Russians. And of course there is not in every area 75/25 distribution - because they culturally do different things - and that's being also white and having way smaller language barrier than I assume English/Spanish language speaking people have in USA (basically 99% of population is bilingual).

Ok, I get that black people had dealt bad cards before. But it's not true that JUST black people are fucked. In the same undesirable shelves are also all other races. So, why the hell not to address why these shelves exist and are stuck in dead loops instead of, for example, singling out just black people (and becoming racist). How this is fair to anybody? Except, of course, if you fight imagined evil white supremacy - actually feels like in the worst possible situation right now there are white males from low income households. Their lives are not great and they still "owe" to everybody big_smile No wonder they vote for Trump big_smile

24 (edited by g371 2021-02-21 06:25:20)

Re: Gina Carano (Cara Dune On The Mandalorian) No Longer On the Show

some_one wrote:

Second, those protests were not about any one, or even any few incidents. They were about the perceived facts that a lot of police officers in the US sometimes use disproportionate amounts of violence for often no reason, that a disproportionate amount of times this problem affects people who aren't "white" and that police officers who end up killing people for no good reason very often simply get to keep their jobs without further consequence. All of these are bad things.

The only reason names like those of Floyd and Taylor were used at all is that people can more easily relate to a cause if they can put a face to it.

Again, this is about averages and distributions, never about individuals.

So, the problem is that police use excessive force. That is pure police training issue. But affecting non-white, here it's hard to agree.

https://www.ojjdp.gov/ojstatbb/crime/ucr.asp?table_in=2 <-- here we can see that criminals also are disproportionate by race.

So, it's only expected that police will be profiling more non-white people (actually according to these statistics particularly black people).  And combo less than perfect training + cases of approaching potentially armed/dangerous criminals should result in exactly that - disproportionately more dead black people. I don't see racism here, it's math. What I have seen, is 100+ USA police body cam videos from shootings. Both justified and unjustified. And my conclusion is that epic stupidity is on both sides - police and approached people. It's a country where anybody is potentially armed. So, if somebody gets killed when he/she cannot follow a simple police commands to show their hands or get out of the car and instead start singing a race song, it's a natural selection.

Also about that excessive force, I'm sure that USA has issues in that area, but I also know how here potentially armed criminals are approached - it's never done by a couple officers on the edge 50/50 if they will be shot and asking to comply politely, there arrives an elite police swat team who don't mess around. Don't comply in first 2 seconds and you will be with face on the ground, and probably dead if you will reach for a gun. Dont get out of the car, they will smash windows and pull you out. And everybody knows that and has no issue with that, because exactly that keeps our crime rates low - for example, we literally have 0 gangs. Because a gang = instant visit from the same swat team big_smile We just have like 1% of USA guns percentage per person and it's way more relaxed work for police.


If I would be a black man in USA, I would be doing everything not to fit that profile. Meaning, don't look like criminals, don't act like them so that by mistake you don't get shot. And it's not racism, it's a tax you pay for crimes of criminals who look alike and are for real dangerous. So, if you don't want adventures, maybe wearing headphones and a hoodie over your head is not a bright idea. And that also is nothing unique to USA. Here police do exactly same - and I assume they do that all over the world, because it's logical. Here also, if you will look like a typical criminal, you will have way more interactions with police. An example - at some point I had two cars - a Toyota and a black BMW. Same routes, same everything. Over a a couple years Toyota police stops - 0, BMW - 10+ big_smile Because our criminals drive cars which look exactly like that smile Same I cannot pass in Frankfurt airport a security check without extra fun - because I assume I simply fit some their profile and I don't mind, I laugh about it and already prepare my notebook for a chemicals test big_smile

That said, what does not look good are statistics that black people get bigger sentences for same crimes. From all I have seen so far, this is the only point where I could agree to systematic racism.

But what is total BS, what I have seen numerous times on woke Twitter - that police arrested poor black guy for some kind of petty crime and that "life (and of course white supremacy) made him do it" and that it's racism to punish him - no, he committed that crime, there is no shortage of McDonalds where to work in USA. Everybody I know who went to USA, is doing great there - without any contacts, knowledge what is what there, just doing good old hard work approach. One girl I know started as nanny there, now co-owns a real estate company smile

25 (edited by lighton 2021-02-21 10:53:21)

Re: Gina Carano (Cara Dune On The Mandalorian) No Longer On the Show

some_one wrote:

First of all, as far as I am aware, nobody burned down any cities. Those who did try any of that stuff were mostly shunned by the wider movement of people trying to protest peacefully. If you have any sources that say different and can be verified, please do share.

https://nypost.com/2020/09/24/face-fact … bout-hate/
By Rudy Giuliani