1

Topic: The Umbrella Academy [Action, Adventure, Comedy]

https://next-episode.net/the-umbrella-academy
Watchlists: 17264

http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/umbrella-academy-poster.jpg

A family of former child heroes, now grown apart, must reunite to continue to protect the world.

IMDb: 8.0/10

2

Re: The Umbrella Academy [Action, Adventure, Comedy]

Saw that the show didn't have a thread when I finished season 2, decided to start one. smile

2x9 had THE best threat in the history of TV! big_smile

Spoiler

"Tell me where Diego is or I'll staple your colon to your nose and let you die on your own farts."

Overall it's a good show! I agree with the 8.0 IMDb rating. Vanya was my least favorite character - again! She almost ruined the first season for me. This season, she thankfully contributed less drama and only ruined 2x9 for me. cool

Now I'm waiting for news if the show gets another season.

P.S.: Love the pneumatic mail system and the weird little jokes and ideas! smile

3

Re: The Umbrella Academy [Action, Adventure, Comedy]

Season 3 roll

Brothers! What we do in life...Echoes in Eternity!


http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=9a35ebe93d371275706bdebcafefaa47

4

Re: The Umbrella Academy [Action, Adventure, Comedy]

will be interesting to see what they do with Vanya  as the actress is now an actor?

5

Re: The Umbrella Academy [Action, Adventure, Comedy]

merc wrote:

will be interesting to see what they do with Vanya  as the actress is now an actor?

Seen it… pile of shit.

Brothers! What we do in life...Echoes in Eternity!


http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=9a35ebe93d371275706bdebcafefaa47

6

Re: The Umbrella Academy [Action, Adventure, Comedy]

nightcrow wrote:
merc wrote:

will be interesting to see what they do with Vanya  as the actress is now an actor?

Seen it… pile of shit.

Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel smile

2020.  Meh.

7

Re: The Umbrella Academy [Action, Adventure, Comedy]

graybags wrote:
nightcrow wrote:
merc wrote:

will be interesting to see what they do with Vanya  as the actress is now an actor?

Seen it… pile of shit.

Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel smile

I’m afraid to do that for fear of being cancelled.

Brothers! What we do in life...Echoes in Eternity!


http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=9a35ebe93d371275706bdebcafefaa47

8

Re: The Umbrella Academy [Action, Adventure, Comedy]

nightcrow wrote:
graybags wrote:
nightcrow wrote:
merc wrote:

will be interesting to see what they do with Vanya  as the actress is now an actor?

Seen it… pile of shit.

Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel smile

I’m afraid to do that for fear of being cancelled.

Oh, I see.  She had a hair cut.  Which as everyone knows, makes you a man.

2020.  Meh.

9

Re: The Umbrella Academy [Action, Adventure, Comedy]

graybags wrote:
nightcrow wrote:
graybags wrote:
nightcrow wrote:

Seen it… pile of shit.

Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel smile

I’m afraid to do that for fear of being cancelled.

Oh, I see.  She had a hair cut.  Which as everyone knows, makes you a man.

It doesn't even take that nowadays, just change your pronoun roll

10

Re: The Umbrella Academy [Action, Adventure, Comedy]

Don’t get me started… this entire season was a woke joke. Suddenly she is Viktor… let’s change the entire storyline because the actress has had a change of heart.

Even if she wants to pretend to be boy in her private life… she’s an actress. Actresses act. So act.
No need to bring her personal life into our fiction and our escape from the real world into that which is meant to entertain us.

Brothers! What we do in life...Echoes in Eternity!


http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=9a35ebe93d371275706bdebcafefaa47

11

Re: The Umbrella Academy [Action, Adventure, Comedy]

Lets keep this discussion civil and on topic please.  I don't want to start removing posts.

DRM "manages access" in the same way that Prison "manages freedom".
http://xkcd.com/488/

12

Re: The Umbrella Academy [Action, Adventure, Comedy]

Wizard wrote:

Lets keep this discussion civil and on topic please.  I don't want to start removing posts.

Why would you need to remove posts?

Am I not entitled to comment or have an opinion?

Is that what has happened to the forum that I have been part of for almost twenty years? If we don’t like what you say we will shut you up and delete your posts?

I didn’t say anything racist, anti trans/gay or anything of the sort. I say, keep private life… private. That’s all.
Don’t flood me or my kids with your agenda. The same applies to everyone, not just the woke left wing agenda. Especially, when there is Great source material like The Umbrella Academy

Brothers! What we do in life...Echoes in Eternity!


http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=9a35ebe93d371275706bdebcafefaa47

13

Re: The Umbrella Academy [Action, Adventure, Comedy]

nightcrow wrote:
Wizard wrote:

Lets keep this discussion civil and on topic please.  I don't want to start removing posts.

Why would you need to remove posts?

Am I not entitled to comment or have an opinion?

Is that what has happened to the forum that I have been part of for almost twenty years? If we don’t like what you say we will shut you up and delete your posts?

I didn’t say anything racist, anti trans/gay or anything of the sort. I say, keep private life… private. That’s all.
Don’t flood me or my kids with your agenda. The same applies to everyone, not just the woke left wing agenda. Especially, when there is Great source material like The Umbrella Academy

What he said.

2020.  Meh.

14

Re: The Umbrella Academy [Action, Adventure, Comedy]

graybags wrote:
nightcrow wrote:
Wizard wrote:

Lets keep this discussion civil and on topic please.  I don't want to start removing posts.

Why would you need to remove posts?

Am I not entitled to comment or have an opinion?

Is that what has happened to the forum that I have been part of for almost twenty years? If we don’t like what you say we will shut you up and delete your posts?

I didn’t say anything racist, anti trans/gay or anything of the sort. I say, keep private life… private. That’s all.
Don’t flood me or my kids with your agenda. The same applies to everyone, not just the woke left wing agenda. Especially, when there is Great source material like The Umbrella Academy

What he said.

Shame there is no like button in the forum. Would have double liked your like.

Brothers! What we do in life...Echoes in Eternity!


http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=9a35ebe93d371275706bdebcafefaa47

15 (edited by nightcrow 2022-06-26 06:57:36)

Re: The Umbrella Academy [Action, Adventure, Comedy]

inkblot wrote:
nightcrow wrote:
Wizard wrote:

Lets keep this discussion civil and on topic please.  I don't want to start removing posts.

Why would you need to remove posts?

Am I not entitled to comment or have an opinion?

Is that what has happened to the forum that I have been part of for almost twenty years? If we don’t like what you say we will shut you up and delete your posts?

I didn’t say anything racist, anti trans/gay or anything of the sort. I say, keep private life… private. That’s all.
Don’t flood me or my kids with your agenda. The same applies to everyone, not just the woke left wing agenda. Especially, when there is Great source material like The Umbrella Academy


Don't worry. They delete or edit your posts at any time. You are using their software and have to abide by their rules.

Personally I did not see anything wrong with your post. I just think it was a warning in general. And to stay on Topic I could see what you mentioned, but it did not bother me half as much as it seemed to have bothered you. Her acting does seem to be a bit bland now. But the rest of the crew still pull it together.


I don’t agree, I have been here since around 2006, Santah and I go way back, I was one of the first lifetime premium members and I have never encountered a concern of having my posts edited or removed.
Yes, we are using Santahs software and yes, he is the authority, but all of us old timers helped in making it what it is today in one way or another.

I don’t expect after so long to be threatened at having my posts removed just because my mindset doesn’t fit right with the woke agenda.
And yes, that forced agenda ruined a perfectly good show with perfectly good source material.

Regarding staying on topic, I think that’s exactly what I was doing.

It bothered me because I feel everything is being warped and twisted now to fit an agenda. I feel the same way about bringing politics, whether right or left into entertainment.
Entertainment is meant to be just that…. Entertainment.
And if I have to groan every time I watch something, whether because it’s political or because it’s forcibly trying to push an agenda of someone’s own private life then it’s simply not a fun pass time anymore and that is irritating.

Brothers! What we do in life...Echoes in Eternity!


http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=9a35ebe93d371275706bdebcafefaa47

16

Re: The Umbrella Academy [Action, Adventure, Comedy]

Wizard wrote:

Lets keep this discussion civil and on topic please.  I don't want to start removing posts.

How can it be off topic? it was literally written into the show as a story point. Therefore it should be open to discussion.

17

Re: The Umbrella Academy [Action, Adventure, Comedy]

proteinnerd wrote:
Wizard wrote:

Lets keep this discussion civil and on topic please.  I don't want to start removing posts.

How can it be off topic? it was literally written into the show as a story point. Therefore it should be open to discussion.

Again, wish I had a like button for this forum! smile

Brothers! What we do in life...Echoes in Eternity!


http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=9a35ebe93d371275706bdebcafefaa47

18

Re: The Umbrella Academy [Action, Adventure, Comedy]

I was not commenting specifically on nightcrow's comment, I actually agree with them.

However, once topics start wandering on to this type of topic it has gone off the rails before.

DRM "manages access" in the same way that Prison "manages freedom".
http://xkcd.com/488/

19

Re: The Umbrella Academy [Action, Adventure, Comedy]

I'm sorry, but I had to intervene here:

- I deleted the posts in this thread from Sentient's escalation onward
- I deleted the "like button?" thread which seems to have turned up to be a parallel (already escalated) discussion as in here

Please guys, read what Wizard wrote above and don't further escalate.

It's fine to discuss any topic unless it starts getting offensive and aggresive toward other forum members which those 2 threads did.

We're all here because we enjoy our TV shows right? Not to take jabs at each other?

https://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=5ba0ff0eba240dd51b6bf07fff0abb0e

20

Re: The Umbrella Academy [Action, Adventure, Comedy]

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21

Re: The Umbrella Academy [Action, Adventure, Comedy]

santah wrote:

I'm sorry, but I had to intervene here:

- I deleted the posts in this thread from Sentient's escalation onward
- I deleted the "like button?" thread which seems to have turned up to be a parallel (already escalated) discussion as in here

Please guys, read what Wizard wrote above and don't further escalate.

It's fine to discuss any topic unless it starts getting offensive and aggresive toward other forum members which those 2 threads did.

We're all here because we enjoy our TV shows right? Not to take jabs at each other?


I love you Santah. smile  Can we have a like button?

Brothers! What we do in life...Echoes in Eternity!


http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=9a35ebe93d371275706bdebcafefaa47

22

Re: The Umbrella Academy [Action, Adventure, Comedy]

I bet elliot said recast me or I walk

23

Re: The Umbrella Academy [Action, Adventure, Comedy]

Know what, let's intrude on this...

First off, I think it really is a bit annoying how much Page's personal life has bled into the show. Acting should be allowed to be about pretending to be something you are not. At some point, maybe it would have been better to cast someone else in the first place.

But then again, "a character got a haircut and asked to be called Viktor" really does not affect the story so much that it should bother anyone.


"I don't want politics in my shows":
Well, fine. But "there is a trans person" really is not political. The whole thing is a societal issue, yes. But the only reason we think it's political is because some politicians realized that it's easier to fearmonger about weird people and promise to stop them from being weird than to actually do politics. There is a trans person on this show now. They exist, even if you consider it a mental disorder, or whatever. There is also an autistic person in this show. Is that also political, just because he's there?


@sentient:
If you let emotion bleed into a point that can be made rationally, all you do is undermine everything you say. You have also been accused of making an Ad Hominem attack, which was accurate. That's an even worse idea, because at that point, you are not even discussing the thing you were talking about anymore, and that leaves no more room for anyone to actually change their mind. Just... please don't.


santah wrote:

We're all here because we enjoy our TV shows right? Not to take jabs at each other?

Well... I think I've made this point before:

We lack outlets, platforms. The tone of discourse is getting more and more aggressive all across society. It's often agreed upon that that's in no small part fueled by self-reinforcing media/social media bubbles, often even deliberately. But I think it's made even worse by the fact that even off those, there is no place to talk anymore.

The only places left to actually meet people disagreeing with us are the ones totally unrelated to the topics at hand - such as a forum about TV shows. But since everyone is already so angry at each other, those discussions escalate quickly.

I do understand why you don't want this kind of confrontation here. It really should not be here. But I also don't think that that's what you achieve by culling it. It would be enough if there was anywhere else left for it to go, but there isn't. This way, people being angry at one another are simply interrupted before they can come to any sort of conclusion, having nothing to take out of it other than that anger. That, and the notion that talking to people rationally is clearly pointless.

If you could find a way limit the culling to the actively hostile parts, I think that might make the whole thing a lot easier to deal with in the long run.



Now, about the actual show here:

Having watched only the first 4 episodes, I think this season is already a lot less entertaining than the previous ones. It might be the limited scope of it? Or the total inability of any of the characters to comprehend where/when/what situation they are currently in? A lot of the plot is driven by lack of communication so far, and much of that lack seems really forced...

24

Re: The Umbrella Academy [Action, Adventure, Comedy]

I'm up to episode 4 as well....tbh as much as its a cliche now to have a trans storyline, Page finally getting the haircut stopped the need for that terrible wig. That was a win in my eyes....that thing was ridiculous.

25

Re: The Umbrella Academy [Action, Adventure, Comedy]

In an attempt to swing the discussion towards a more positive tone, I think this show has revealed an actor that will surely become an mega-star in the future. Of course, I'm talking about Aidan Gallagher.  He reminds me of a cross between Christian Bale, for his language skills and showing his talent so young, and Michael J. Fox in his hay day, for the way he delivers his lines so rapidly and with perfect comic timing. I hope he chooses his projects well, like Bale did in the early days (eg. American Psycho, The Machinist, The Prestige, Out of the Furnace, and even when the movie was mediocre, he was able to raise it a level, ie Harsh Times, Rescue Dawn), and avoids Bale's mistakes where he chased the money (ie Terminator and...Batman - yes, controversial, I know!). 

I don't know what everyone else thought about season 3. I thought season 1 was quite special, season 2 lost its way and its magic, while season 3 seemed a bit contrived early on, especially the humour, but it won me over by the end, particularly the last two episodes.

The whole cast was pretty good too. It's good to see Tom Hopper in another great show, after the brilliant Black Sails. Robert Sheehan played such a lovable character, it will be interesting to see him in something completely different to see how he plays it. I really liked Emmy Raver-Lampman in season 1, although she wasn't very likeable in season 3, but I suppose you could say that's the sign of a good actor. David Castañeda was also very good.

I think the story ends well where it is, but I'd certainly watch more. Next-episode has the show marked as a Returning Series. Does that just mean that they haven't officially announced it's finished?