1 (edited by vapdne 2020-05-10 07:55:32)

Topic: Brassic (UK comedy)

https://next-episode.net/brassic

Just finished the 2nd season and I really like it. It has been renewed for an 8ep 3rd season as well.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gApd9TlTEN4 (first season)

It does require a bit of willing suspension of disbelief (IE: they would never get away with any of the shit they get up to in real life), but it's often laugh out loud funny, acting is great, dialogue is sharp and witty.

And the sound track. Some old classics like Velvet Underground and Cream as well as more modern stuff that I never thought I'd ever hear in a British TV show (or any TV show) The Record Company and The Sunns stood out to me in the recent eps.

Anyway, it's fun, give it a go. If you don't mind bad language (although I didn't notice any c words).

Edit to add you also get to see Joe Gilgun star. Before I watched Preacher (which I loved) I knew nothing about the guy except he'd been in a UK soap opera or two and the minor classic This Is England. If he keeps up with Preacher and Brassic type stuff I'll be well impressed. He also is credited as co-creator, writer and exec producer for Brassic.

Re: Brassic (UK comedy)

Nice to see Joseph Gilgun in a different role, I like him in https://next-episode.net/preacher! smile

I find UK comedies often somewhat challenging to watch, so I'll add this to the MAYBE pile.

Also, I've edited your post and added the link to the show. Feel free to edit it again to make it more enticing (see other first posts in this part of the forums).

Re: Brassic (UK comedy)

vapdne wrote:

https://next-episode.net/brassic
Anyway, it's fun, give it a go. If you don't mind bad language (although I didn't notice any c words)

You didn't?  Oh, they are definitely there!  I seem to remember the "Festival" episode having a few.

For me, Joseph Gilgun's best role was in Misfits.  I really liked that show.

A rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle...

Re: Brassic (UK comedy)

lighton wrote:

I find UK comedies often somewhat challenging to watch, so I'll add this to the MAYBE pile.

Blasphemy!  There are tons of great UK comedies.  Some of the best ever comedies are from the UK.

A rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle...

Re: Brassic (UK comedy)

liteon, give ep one a go. Go on, you know you want to.

graybags, selected British comedies are the best in the world! I do find the occasional US one that I like (Futureman & Avenue 5 recently but stuff like Two and a Half Men can do one).

Opps, my language in real life isn't clean so I guess I just didn't notice what is the most offensive word in the English language. I used it last year to my boss, he is one so don't worry, but I haven't worked since!

Have not seen Misfits, will give it a go

Re: Brassic (UK comedy)

lighton wrote:

Nice to see Joseph Gilgun in a different role, I like him in https://next-episode.net/preacher! smile

I find UK comedies often somewhat challenging to watch, so I'll add this to the MAYBE pile.

Also, I've edited your post and added the link to the show. Feel free to edit it again to make it more enticing (see other first posts in this part of the forums).

Ah, you see I don't really feel the need to make it more enticing for other people because I'm a bastard. Well, it's the way I use the forum, if I see someone else liking a show I like I'll see what else they enjoy and maybe give it a go (the exceptions being anything to do with Star Trek, Star Wars and anything related to X-men/superhero type universes which I loath, although a friend did get me to watch Jessica Jones which I loved).

So enticing? No. If you like what I like you might like this, simple as. I DO want you to watch it though liteon. Like really want you to watch it. Like a weird stalker.....

Seriously though give us a short list of UK comedies you didn't like?

Re: Brassic (UK comedy)

Oh and thinking of non British comedies Wellington Paranormal is very good and the first season of What We Do In The Shadows was fantastic. Sadly I have found the 2nd season to be a bit lacking.

Re: Brassic (UK comedy)

vapdne wrote:

Oh and thinking of non British comedies Wellington Paranormal is very good and the first season of What We Do In The Shadows was fantastic. Sadly I have found the 2nd season to be a bit lacking.

I like both of those, and I like the WWDITS movie too.  I'm enjoying the second season too.

A rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle...

Re: Brassic (UK comedy)

graybags wrote:

For me, Joseph Gilgun's best role was in Misfits.  I really liked that show.

Oh yeah, he was in Misfits too, same as Iwan 'Ramsay Snow' Rheon. smile Was a fun (cheap) show but I lost interest and stopped watching in season 4.

vapdne wrote:

liteon, give ep one a go. Go on, you know you want to.

It has to wait for its moment. wink

P.S.: You must be confusing me with a company that brought in 16.7 billion TWD last year.

vapdne wrote:

Seriously though give us a short list of UK comedies you didn't like?

All of them? lol Seriously though: when I think "great UK comedies", nothing comes to mind. Where US comedies seem to be produced to a appeal to audiences all over the planet (a broad range of different comedies), UK comedies seem to be produced to (almost) ONLY appeal to folks in the UK. cool Some of the UK food is excellent though! smile

Re: Brassic (UK comedy)

lighton wrote:

Some of the UK food is excellent though! smile

Nothing comes to mind big_smile

11 (edited by graybags 2020-05-12 08:56:21)

Re: Brassic (UK comedy)

g371 wrote:
lighton wrote:

Some of the UK food is excellent though! smile

Nothing comes to mind big_smile

Now now, children, this seems to be getting a bit anti-UK now.

A rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle...

Re: Brassic (UK comedy)

I've found WWDITS 1st season laugh out loud funny a lot. 2nd season much less so but I still like it. Found the film less funny than season 1 but still good. They re-did a few of the films jokes in the 1st season and made them better!

Well liteon, if you've never seen a UK comedy you like I guess there is just no hope.

I thought Latvian food was all like sauerkraut and stuff. Each to their own I guess. I'll stick with roast beef and fish n chips......

Re: Brassic (UK comedy)

vapdne wrote:

I thought Latvian food was all like sauerkraut and stuff. Each to their own I guess. I'll stick with roast beef and fish n chips......

That's on exotic side, along with kefir and cottage cheese in ten variations big_smile You will be surprised, but we also have meat, what you call chips and whatever fish, since we have 500 km sea border and countless rivers/lakes smile