Topic: Alphabetize articles

I do not know much about coding, etc; how much time/effort would it take to add the option to ignore articles when alphabetizing the shows?

Re: Alphabetize articles

ajbanal wrote:

I do not know much about coding, etc; how much time/effort would it take to add the option to ignore articles when alphabetizing the shows?

This will probably not be done. It would take lots of effort and only about 0.0052% of users have asked for this.

Re: Alphabetize articles

lighton wrote:
ajbanal wrote:

I do not know much about coding, etc; how much time/effort would it take to add the option to ignore articles when alphabetizing the shows?

This will probably not be done. It would take lots of effort and only about 0.0052% of users have asked for this.

Yeah, I think the count is up to 3 - including me.   sad

Re: Alphabetize articles

I want all the "The"'s in the T section.  They are there for a reason, leave them alone!

DRM "manages access" in the same way that Prison "manages freedom".
http://xkcd.com/488/

Re: Alphabetize articles

What's the reason?

Wizard wrote:

I want all the "The"'s in the T section.  They are there for a reason, leave them alone!

Re: Alphabetize articles

Please reply under the quoted text, not above it. smile

Re: Alphabetize articles

That is not a rule.

lighton wrote:

Please reply under the quoted text, not above it. smile

They can reply above or below if they choose.

And because I don't want to be offtopic.

If there's an option to select whether articles are alphabetized or not, maybe it can be a solution.

...where did I put that rat's ass I could give?

Daemons are benevolent or benign nature spirits, beings of the same nature as both mortals and gods, similar to ghosts, chthonic heroes, spirit guides, forces of nature or the gods themselves.

Re: Alphabetize articles

Let me give you this rat's ass I just found... cool

Re: Alphabetize articles

lighton wrote:

Let me give you this rat's ass I just found... cool

You get extra points if you know where that quote is from.

...where did I put that rat's ass I could give?

Daemons are benevolent or benign nature spirits, beings of the same nature as both mortals and gods, similar to ghosts, chthonic heroes, spirit guides, forces of nature or the gods themselves.

Re: Alphabetize articles

TeaAndApathy wrote:
Wizard wrote:

I want all the "The"'s in the T section.  They are there for a reason, leave them alone!

What's the reason?

Because if I am looking for "The Boys", or "The Good Place", or "The Newsroom" I know exactly where they are.  They are under T where they are meant to be.  Having them sorted as "Boys, The", "Good Place, The" or "Newsroom, The" looks bloody stupid.

DRM "manages access" in the same way that Prison "manages freedom".
http://xkcd.com/488/

Re: Alphabetize articles

Daemonius wrote:
lighton wrote:

Let me give you this rat's ass I just found... cool

You get extra points if you know where that quote is from.

Probably https://next-episode.net/person/chi-mcbride in https://next-episode.net/pushing-daisies - that was a good show! smile

Wizard wrote:
TeaAndApathy wrote:
Wizard wrote:

I want all the "The"'s in the T section.  They are there for a reason, leave them alone!

What's the reason?

Because if I am looking for "The Boys", or "The Good Place", or "The Newsroom" I know exactly where they are.  They are under T where they are meant to be.  Having them sorted as "Boys, The", "Good Place, The" or "Newsroom, The" looks bloody stupid.

Exactly. And with search options not limited to what was there in the 70s, it works really well as it is now. smile

Re: Alphabetize articles

lighton wrote:
Daemonius wrote:
lighton wrote:

Let me give you this rat's ass I just found... cool

You get extra points if you know where that quote is from.

Probably https://next-episode.net/person/chi-mcbride in https://next-episode.net/pushing-daisies - that was a good show! smile

Correct, but did you google that or did you know it by heart? Don't lie.

...where did I put that rat's ass I could give?

Daemons are benevolent or benign nature spirits, beings of the same nature as both mortals and gods, similar to ghosts, chthonic heroes, spirit guides, forces of nature or the gods themselves.

Re: Alphabetize articles

Daemonius wrote:
lighton wrote:
Daemonius wrote:
lighton wrote:

Let me give you this rat's ass I just found... cool

You get extra points if you know where that quote is from.

Probably https://next-episode.net/person/chi-mcbride in https://next-episode.net/pushing-daisies - that was a good show! smile

Correct, but did you google that or did you know it by heart? Don't lie.

Google! I'm happy that I've managed to remember a pool 3 years later, but I hardly ever recall movie or TV show quotes 10 years later. smile

Re: Alphabetize articles

I don't get the pushback to this; its the standard way to alphabetize in almost all formats.

Re: Alphabetize articles

ajbanal wrote:

I don't get the pushback to this; its the standard way to alphabetize in almost all formats.

When you have people and names you can sort by first and last (and maybe middle) name(s). When you have a show like "The Good Place", the whole thing is its name. Maybe it inherently feels wrong for most people to break it up?

Re: Alphabetize articles

lighton wrote:
ajbanal wrote:

I don't get the pushback to this; its the standard way to alphabetize in almost all formats.

When you have people and names you can sort by first and last (and maybe middle) name(s). When you have a show like "The Good Place", the whole thing is its name. Maybe it inherently feels wrong for most people to break it up?

But a media library, Plex for example, sorts The Good Place in to G...so

I still vote for option for this, if the software has that ability.

...where did I put that rat's ass I could give?

Daemons are benevolent or benign nature spirits, beings of the same nature as both mortals and gods, similar to ghosts, chthonic heroes, spirit guides, forces of nature or the gods themselves.

Re: Alphabetize articles

Nope don't change it and don't even make it an option.

If a show has "The" in the title it's part of its name and should be treated as such and therefor put into the "T" section. Otherwise the creators would have called it "Boys" and not "The Boys, if the article wasn't a part of the name.

http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=Watchlist&kk=276008292d78a1f619f8bbc10840767b

Re: Alphabetize articles

Daemonius wrote:

I still vote for option for this, if the software has that ability.

IIRC santah said that this is currently not possible, and not trivial to code.

Re: Alphabetize articles

HomerS wrote:

Nope don't change it and don't even make it an option.


https://imgur.com/g5gKHy2.gif

https://next-episode.net/img/ne-link.png
https://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=9c3d70de238ebfb2f7ddda60d4ab6e5e
https://signavatar.com/40753_v.gif
https://signavatar.com/40753_s.gif

Re: Alphabetize articles

scorpius074 wrote:
HomerS wrote:

Nope don't change it and don't even make it an option.


https://imgur.com/g5gKHy2.gif




https://memecrunch.com/meme/C42NR/nevermind/image.gif?w=400&c=1

http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=Watchlist&kk=276008292d78a1f619f8bbc10840767b