1 (edited by ArniVidar 2017-03-03 13:47:39)

Topic: Some issues with the movies section

Hey santah.

I'm working through ~200 pages worth of "Top watched or acquired movies" (more than 20 of which have been all gay movies, which was interesting. I didn't know they made that many movies specifically about gay guys smile, and another 40 pages have been of bad B-movie horror), and this has once again made me think about the problems with that system and how to fix them.

First of all, is it possible that the date added system, isn't working properly? The "This week" list is, as I said, ~200 pages long, and there are several pages worth of Christmas movies there, which makes me wonder if perhaps the list is displaying much more than only the last week, since Christmas movies are more likely to be added around that time of year smile

Okay, a few issues.
1) I would like to reiterate my request to be able to block movies, or add them to a "I don't care about this crap" list. As the system works now, discovering new movies is insanely tedious and annoying, and really destroys one's desire to use the system at all.
If I could just remove the movies I don't want from the list, I wouldn't have to go through the same movies every single time I try to use the Movies system.

2) Would it be at all possible to either A) show the address for the page I'm on in the address bar, a la the forums (..../post.php?fid=7) so I can actually take a break and do something else, and then get back to the same address later again, or
B) a FAR better option: include a page browser (again, like in the forums) on the bottom (Pages:  Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | ... | 22 | Next)  so it's possible to jump faster through them.
Right now I'm on page 86 of 166, and if I accidentally hit a wrong link on the page or hit the back button on my mouse or something, I lose my place and need to scroll down a full page and hit the Next button and wait for the load and scroll down a full page and hit the Next button and wait for the load and........  86 times, just to get to where I am in the list.

3) Is it possible to make the list not re-check the list status when I hit the Next button?
For example: I am on page 1. The first 20 movies are on one page. I add 6 of them to my list, and hit Next. Instead of now seeing movies 21-40 on the list, I now see 27-46, and I never saw 21-26. This means that every time I add a movie to my list, I have to hit Next to get to the next page, deal with that page, hit Previous to go to the previous page and see the movies I've missed, and then hit Next to go back to the next page.. which now holds new movies. I add some of them to my list, and hit Next, to have to hit Previous again... and so forth.
I'm literally always going two steps forward, one step back. That means that 200 pages of movies is, sadly, closer to 300 pages... and 3 hours hmm

4) How is the list sorted? Is it by time added? Will the newest movies to the lists always be the first ones?
For example, if the "Last Week" setting is indeed the last 7 days, will tomorrow's movies be added to the front of the list?
And indeed, are today's movies added to the list once a day via some script, or continually as other users add them? Is the list getting longer as I move through the pages? (I thought I noticed another couple of pages appearing out of the blue) big_smile

Okay, that's done. Down to 150 pages left, which means that out of the ~4000 movies in that Trending list, I have added ~1000 to my own. That means that there are ~3000 movies in your system (just from last week alone) that I know for a fact that I want to literally never see or hear about ever again.

Please.. please.. please.. enable the hiding of movies from those lists!

Re: Some issues with the movies section

I second this. We need upgrades to the movie section!

I agree. The movies section can and will be improved.

I'll start with the ignore/hide movies functionality, which most likely will be a Premium feature only.

Expect it done (early) next week!

http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=5ba0ff0eba240dd51b6bf07fff0abb0e

santah wrote:

I'll start with the ignore/hide movies functionality, which most likely will be a Premium feature only.

Expect it done (early) next week!

Weeee! Thank you very much. smile

Ok maybe it'll take a bit longer than that, since I have ideas for more improvements along with the ignore/hide functionality, so most likely next week! smile

http://next-episode.net/sig/sig.php?alias=default&kk=5ba0ff0eba240dd51b6bf07fff0abb0e

santah wrote:

Ok maybe it'll take a bit longer than that, since I have ideas for more improvements along with the ignore/hide functionality, so most likely next week! smile

Looking forward to it smile

since the update today my "add to my movies" button has disappeared, I have tried mousing over the movie picture and name but no buttons appear, please re-add this button, the only things I can now use are imdb and the movie db as well as trailers if they are there.

snackatack2000 wrote:

since the update today my "add to my movies" button has disappeared, I have tried mousing over the movie picture and name but no buttons appear, please re-add this button, the only things I can now use are imdb and the movie db as well as trailers if they are there.

See my last comment on the news post. All should be good now. Please check and let me know in the comments to the news post.