1 (edited by jobob 2016-08-14 00:48:24)

Topic: Yahoo View & Hulu

Looks like all the free video content from Hulu is being offered now through "Yahoo View" because Hulu wants only now to be viewed as a subscription service.

I feel like there is a long line of questionable marketing decisions over at Hulu, but hey I'm no marketing expert.

In any case... there are a few limitations to searching the available content there, but one of the things they've added which was something Hulu removed long ago was a "browse all" option for their tabs. So you can now "browse all" anime, or movies, or whatever, which I remember seeing disappear off Hulu a long time ago. It is a little cumbersome to "browse all" because there is a lot of content, but I am frequently in that mood, because services that choose for me what I want and suggest to me that junk, never satisfy what I really want to watch. (Along with the recent loss of the queuing feature, it seems like just many of user-un-friendly decisions.)

Yahoo View looks like it has precisely all the free content off of Hulu, which is a lot. There is a lot of K-Drama too, and the same recent TV episode deals will be there from the major networks, which was one of the main reasons I used Hulu, so Yahoo View has a new buddy.

Of course, if you subscribe to some place like Netflix this means nothing much to you, but for those of us who free-view stuff, this is pretty cool. The interface is cleaner and loads faster than Hulu was doing, especially recently with all the touchscreen-enabled shenanigans and junk designed to tell me what I wanted to watch for me.

Some people have already suggested in their feedback page that Yahoo View re-instate the Hulu queue, so I might even get back my "playlist" function that I miss so much.

Of course, I realize this is all just Hulu's attempt not to totally lose all the ad revenue stream from us free-viewers, but I'm glad it's there. I don't mind ads if I get things for free (legally).

Currently watching
https://s31.postimg.org/6f5p2e4cr/late_summer_shows.png

Re: Yahoo View & Hulu

jobob wrote:

Looks like all the free video content from Hulu is being offered now through "Yahoo View" because Hulu wants only now to be viewed as a subscription service.

I feel like there is a long line of questionable marketing decisions over at Hulu, but hey I'm no marketing expert.

In any case... there are a few limitations to searching the available content there, but one of the things they've added which was something Hulu removed long ago was a "browse all" option for their tabs. So you can now "browse all" anime, or movies, or whatever, which I remember seeing disappear off Hulu a long time ago. It is a little cumbersome to "browse all" because there is a lot of content, but I am frequently in that mood, because services that choose for me what I want and suggest to me that junk, never satisfy what I really want to watch. (Along with the recent loss of the queuing feature, it seems like just many of user-un-friendly decisions.)

Yahoo View looks like it has precisely all the free content off of Hulu, which is a lot. There is a lot of K-Drama too, and the same recent TV episode deals will be there from the major networks, which was one of the main reasons I used Hulu, so Yahoo View has a new buddy.

Of course, if you subscribe to some place like Netflix this means nothing much to you, but for those of us who free-view stuff, this is pretty cool. The interface is cleaner and loads faster than Hulu was doing, especially recently with all the touchscreen-enabled shenanigans and junk designed to tell me what I wanted to watch for me.

Some people have already suggested in their feedback page that Yahoo View re-instate the Hulu queue, so I might even get back my "playlist" function that I miss so much.

Of course, I realize this is all just Hulu's attempt not to totally lose all the ad revenue stream from us free-viewers, but I'm glad it's there. I don't mind ads if I get things for free (legally).

Sounds like Hulu are refocusing on the core source of income or perhaps the area where there is most room for growth while leasing out secondary areas to Yahoo so they won't have to cater to different types of audiences.

If only those services weren't limited to the US sad

Re: Yahoo View & Hulu

Yahoo View is blocked in other countries? That's lame, they have a lot of subbed anime and K-drama, maybe that's part of the agreement, because a lot of that stuff is also available online through their respective countries' producers. But you can't even see all the regular US shows and stuff? That's stupid.

I guess you could use a VPN or free proxy site and get in that way, go to the US version of the site. I think free proxy sites still exist... it's been a while since I saw one. ... hmm I don't know. But that would be a free way to get to the site.

Maybe it's because the advertisements are targeted at Americans. Or maybe they are just lazy. I have no idea.

Currently watching
https://s31.postimg.org/6f5p2e4cr/late_summer_shows.png